Cordyceps - feedback wanted if you take this.... (Read 869 times)

Go Pre!

Anyone take Cordyceps? Herbal medicine - supposedly great for endurance athletes. My physiotherapist is a runner and she recommended it. Aparently makes you feel way less 'winded' among other benfits. read this: The "Magical Mushroom" : Strengthens Lungs, Restores Health & Promotes Longevity Benefits of Cordyceps: • Helps normalize blood sugar levels in diabetes by improving glucose metabolism and increasing insulin sensitivity • Reduces intolerance to cold • Reduces night urination • Hastens recovery from illness • Alleviates back and knee pains • Helps prevent and alleviate liver problems Cordyceps sinensis, also known as Dong Chong Xiao Cao or "winter worm, summer plant", has been used for over a thousand years as a superior tonic for numerous health complaints. It has even received international acclamation after a group of Chinese runners broke NINE world records in the 1993 Germany World Outdoor Track and Field Championships, an achievement the coach attributed to the runners' regular consumption of Cordyceps. The benefits of Cordyceps were first discovered 1,500 years ago when cowherds up in the Tibetan mountains observed their cattle becoming more energetic and friskier after eating this tiny mushroom. Since then, this magical healing "mushroom" has been used as one of the most effective tonics or many health problems. It helps to strengthen the body, improve organ functions, boost body resistance and promote longevity. Strengthens Lungs & Soothes Respiratory Problems According to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), Cordyceps invigorates the 'lung meridian', hence, it is commonly prescribed for asthma, coughs, weak lungs, wheezing, and shortness of breath and to reduce phlegm. It also helps to strengthen the respiratory tract which offers a significant endurance-boosting benefit to those who perform strenuous, physical work. (e.g. hard labour, sports or exercise). Fights Fatigue & Alleviates Stress Cordyceps greatly improves energy and endurance, helps fight fatigue or extreme tiredness, and alleviates the negative effects of stress. It is a great tonic for anyone who leads a very busy or stressful lifestyle and needs extra energy as it also improves sleep patterns, aids proper transportation of nutrients in the body, and boosts cellular oxygenation. Boosts Sex Life Considered one of the best natural aphrodisiacs available, Cordyceps has a more profound effect in strengthening the sexual function than other popular sexual tonics. Traditionally, Cordyceps is used as a remedy for sexual dysfunction in males, especially for erectile dysfunction, impotence and infertility. It fortifies the kidney channel and effectively improve libido, sexual desire and performance, physical endurance and energy. In fact, studies performed at Beijing Medical University reported a 64% success rate among men suffering from impotence. Promotes Longevity & Prevents Premature Ageing Cordyceps is a popular traditionally anti-ageing tonic for body rejuvenation and to promote longevity. It restores strength after physical or mental exertion. Studies confirmed that Cordyceps increases the activities of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant in the body, to quench free radicals that cause premature ageing and other common degenerative diseases. Prevents Cardiovascular Problems Cordyceps has been shown to lower LDL ("bad" cholesterol) while increasing HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels. It also helps to prevent the oxidation of LDL and "thins" the blood to prevent plaque or clot formation that may block the blood vessels. Strengthens The Immune System Traditionally, Cordyceps has been used to strengthen the body's defences against infections, and recent clinical studies confirmed that it is a potent immune booster. It stimulates the production of immune cells such as the macrophages, lymphocytes, T helper cells and interleukin in the body. Cordyceps is also an exceptional immune-regulator, as it increases the activity of "underactive" immune cells while suppressing the "overactive" ones. So, any feedback would be great if you have tried or know someone who has...thanks Dave
      Don't take it, don't know anyone who has ... but it sounds an awful lot like Snake Oil to me Undecided
      2009: BQ?
        "Magical Mushroom"
        I may or may not have tried these in college, but haven't heard of or tried the Cordyceps. I would tend to agree with Trishie though, everything I've read about herbal supplements has convinced me that the vast majority of them are a waste of time and money. I would ask your physio (or attempt to google) some studies on it before trying it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go Pre!

physio swears by it...
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it sounds too good to be true... Herbal stuff scares me. I fear that it's only a matter of time before something "benign" and "natural" makes someone very ill or worse.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Try to find out if there have been any legitimate, controlled, clinical trials that prove efficacy and safety. Otherwise, I would stay away from it. I agree with Trishie and Bonkin.
              physio swears by it...
              Anecdotal evidence is pretty worthless, it could very well be placebo and could possibly be dangerous.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You know, I just hafta chuckle at these responses. Not because I disagree -- I feel exactly the same suspicion. But if you're concerned with risks and toxicity, you ought to be at least equally suspicious of just about every drug. Statistically, many orders of magnitude more people die from run-of-the-mill drugs than from herbal remedies (for one thing, the drugs are usually more potent). And you'd be surprised at the lack of good controlled studies justifying the use of many common drugs and procedures. The regulatory apparatus gives a false sense of security -- it is as subject to money, fashion, and politics as any human institution, and has been frequently, diasterously wrong many times. And it can fail in both directions -- approving things that are dangerous, or failing to approve things that are beneficial. Both cases can get many people killed. And to complicate things further, very few drugs are unequivocally "safe" or "unsafe". It depends on so many factors. So when the medical establishment criticizes their competitors in the "alternative" market for lack of data on safety and efficacy, I see the pot calling the kettle black. The fact is there's a lot of snake oil out there -- both of the FDA-approved and -unapproved varieties. Caveat emptor.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.