Hydration / Fueling Strategies for marathons (Read 318 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am running a marathon on the 13th. I have found that during my last two marathons hydration and glucose replenishment are challenging to predict. I have tried to plan out when I will consume water vs. gatorade ad when I will eat. I have always been told that if I am thirsty it is too late. I did better in the second marathon but think I was saved by a few folks hnding out orange slices - really seemed to pick me up quickly. Gels do not sit well with me. Clif Bloks (gummi like) are great for me but just dont want to overdue it. Has anyone run a marathon wthout taking gatorade? I did a practice 18 miler last week where I took electolyte tabs at ~9 miles an just ate clif bloks / drank water (No gatorade). I felt fine. Of course this is running at a slower pace than I plan for the marathon & 8 fewer miles. A lot of questions here but curious what others do for strategy. Thanks and thoughts are appreciated... Big grin

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      I no longer use a "replenishment" drink other than water. I do, however, use S! caps to replace salt. The number of S! caps depends on the outsiade tempurature and my effort, but typically 1 every hour to 1 1/2 hour. I also use gels, and quite alot of them, actually. On ultraruns, I'll have an occasional soda, preferably with caffeine, if the aid stations have it. Just make sure to practice what you wan tto do on race day, and stick to "a Plan".
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado