Stark differences between road running and treadmill running. (Read 296 times)

Hello everyone,

New member here and I have a question:

I have cold weather and allergy induced asthma. Basically, I can run about a mile outdoors before the asthma kicks in. I can usually push myself to run a few more miles, but afterward it really hurts. I've tried all sorts of medications and remedies, but nothing has worked.

I recently started a run streak (currently 93 days of running at least a mile every day) and my doctor recommended that I try running on a treadmill. I was hesitant to do so as I thought that it would be too easy (and boring), but I finally broke down and tried it a couple of weeks ago. I instantly fell in love with it because I am now able to run several miles a day with no breathing problems. I've also smashed my PR's.

My treadmill pace is almost 2 minutes faster than my outdoor pace. To eliminate any doubt that I'm doing something wrong, I've run on several different treadmills in different gyms. I set the incline to at least 1.0 (end up bumping it to 1.5 and 2.0 by the end of the run) and the results are the same. So, my question is: do any of you find yourselves in similar situations? I'm excited that I can run this much indoors (which will lead to more weight loss), but I'm sad knowing that I probably won't run this fast in a race.

Thanks in advance for your answers and insight.

Let me start by saying - I probably only do about 2-4 total runs per year on a treadmill - Only when I am travelling for work and it is WAY WAY too difficult to try and find a place to run outside given the time I have that day. I'm a 99.9% outside runner, regardless of weather conditions, and I live in WI, so I am used to running in the cold.

That being said, I find it to be just the opposite.   For instance 8:00/mile running outside feels like a very easy/comfortable go forever pace for me.   Yet on a treadmill, that same pace feels fast to me.   Perhaps if I ran more on a treadmill I'd get used to it, but I have no desire to do that since I thoroughly enjoy running outside.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing most of your runs on a treadmill, just be aware that when spring rolls around and the temps start to increase you need to gradually work back into running outside, rather than doing it all at once due to how much harder of a surface you are running on, compared to the treadmill deck/belt.    The only other thing I have read is that scientifically a treadmill isn't quite as beneficial since you just have to lift up your legs and the belt does the moving, yet on the roads, you have to pick up your legs and drive them forward in order to actually move.   That being said, if the treadmill means more miles for you, I'm certain the fitness gains of exercising more outweigh this.

npaden

All other things being equal, running on the treadmill should approximate running outside.

Sounds like you are having to slow or stop when running outside because of asthma and you aren't experiencing this when running indoors?  That's the reason for the 2 minute faster pace?

Sounds like you just need to plan all your goal races during warm weather in the desert.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TripleBock

I run on a lot of treadmills and all of them are different.  some have some natural inclibe built into them.  Even 10 TM all of the same model will be calibrated differently.  Usually the most popular ones at a gym are the ones that are reading you running faster than you realy are.  I asked the manager and they said they never have them calibrated ... I sweat heavy, so I pick TM based on air flow and proximity to a fan.

Than being said - The most I have had 2 TM be different is .5 MPH (Guestimate).  If it is a TM that has 0% incline built into I feel it could be .3-.5MPH different than running outside.  If it has 0% incline built into the TM, I would go betwenn 1-1.5% to approximate running outside.

I agree with the below that at 2 minutes per mile, you (Your Asma) are the biggest factor and not the TM.

All other things being equal, running on the treadmill should approximate running outside.

Sounds like you are having to slow or stop when running outside because of asthma and you aren't experiencing this when running indoors?  That's the reason for the 2 minute faster pace?

Sounds like you just need to plan all your goal races during warm weather in the desert.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

an amazing likeness

My treadmill pace is almost 2 minutes faster than my outdoor pace.

That's unusual as most runners find treadmill effort higher than outside effort for same pace. Looking at your log, if the ease on the treadmill is letting you change from horrid daily 1mi runs to easy daily 4mi runs -- that's a good thing. Go for it and don't look back!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

Let me start by saying - I probably only do about 2-4 total runs per year on a treadmill - Only when I am travelling for work and it is WAY WAY too difficult to try and find a place to run outside given the time I have that day. I'm a 99.9% outside runner, regardless of weather conditions, and I live in WI, so I am used to running in the cold. 

+1

The only other thing I have read is that scientifically a treadmill isn't quite as beneficial since you just have to lift up your legs and the belt does the moving, yet on the roads, you have to pick up your legs and drive them forward in order to actually move.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. We are not going down this road again.

Feeling the growl again

2min/mile difference means your issue is primarily your asthma.  All treadmills are calibrated a bit differently, but on average most people go a bit slower on a treadmill (often due to heat/airflow).  My current treadmill and outdoors are indistinguishable with regards to effort.

The only other thing I have read is that scientifically a treadmill isn't quite as beneficial since you just have to lift up your legs and the belt does the moving, yet on the roads, you have to pick up your legs and drive them forward in order to actually move.   That being said, if the treadmill means more miles for you, I'm certain the fitness gains of exercising more outweigh this.

There is absolutely, positively NOTHING scientific about that statement.  Physics 101.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

It's about on a par with "it's not safe to live in the Southern Hemisphere, because you'd fall off the Earth".

jpdeaux

It's about on a par with "it's not safe to live in the Southern Hemisphere, because you'd fall off the Earth".

Hemisphere? C'mon man, if the earth was really round and spinning, we'd all be flying off into space!

Feeling the growl again

Running east isn't real running because the Earth is already spinning that way for you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Haha, good one.

steph  

jfa

Running east isn't real running because the Earth is already spinning that way for you.

Damn, I've been doing it all wrong. I go west way too much.

I was a treadmill hater for a long while and ran all of my runs after work, at night, alone , on a paved unlit bike path, all winter long, and loved it. I dressed right, brought proper stuff, and thrived.

This winter, pretty much Monday through Thursday, I have been embracing the treadmill at the gym. My favorite one is in a seldom used upstairs area right next to a big AC fan. I have run workouts on the TM that I can't duplicate outside in the dark.

But once the weekend comes, I put on the proper stuff and head back outdoors and love it again.

So yeah, everything in moderation right?

When I run outdoors, I have to go very slow (10-11 minute pace) if I want to run a few miles. Even then, my asthma kicks in often. It hurts more to walk then run again, so I usually just stop once the asthma starts acting up.

Thanks for the input and advice everyone!

I was never a fan of treadmills, and previously only used them on business trips / vacations, etc. But... During the summer I was preparing for a marathon and was doing my long runs VERY early in the morning, (with no headlamp). Long story short, I stepped in a pot hole and tore up my knee. I missed the race and have been away from running now for several months healing. Normally, I stop running during the winter and then try to play catch up in the spring, (tsk, tsk!). I made the desision to use mine over the winter and still run outside over the rest of the year.

That being said, I am like most everyone here. I personally run faster and with less effort, outside. Plus... Another major negative... It is harder to run away from my wife and kids on the treadmill. Just a little food for thought.

Also, one last note, if I run West, shouldn't I INCREASE my milage and speed, due to the Earth's rotation??? Another PR, here I come... LOL!!!