Am I building a base? (Read 758 times)

Lia's Daddy

I think I am but just looking for input. When I first got into running just over a year ago, I totally went out too hard! i did three halfs in three months and ended up injured. After healing I decided to just focus on running. I have a few goals related to racing. I will probably do another half in the fall. I may race a few 5ks here and there for fun. What I'm really trying to do is just keep a good base so that if and when I decide to do a marathon, I can easily slip into a training schedule. I guess my question is my approach right? I have been adding miles. It is not really an intentional thing as much as what feels good for my body. I went for a trail run on monday and was only planning on doing about 6 but I felt so good that I just wanted to keep running and ended up doing 10. This is pretty close to the length of my long runs right now. Am I at risk of hurting myself? I'm also concerned about the fact that all of my runs are at a similar pace. My understanding is that this is ok. I did a fast run a week ago just to remind my body that I can still run at a decent pace. Should I be adding speed work if I'm not really training for a race? I guess overall I'm looking for advice on how to become a better runner and reduce my risk of injuries in the future. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

SMART Approach

I think you are on track. If you can run 10 miles and feel you recover from it then that's ok. I probably would jump from 6 to 10 right away but a mile a week would be ok until you hit 10-12 (as long as you are running most of the other days in week to support the distance). Be smart about this. Just remember to go comfortable on those long runs and all your runs. Continue to build miles without worry of speed work. Maybe one run per week mid week where you may do 5-7 miles, finish the last 2-3 miles at a faster pace. Maybe one other day per week at end of run do some pick me up for 15-20 sec at a quick pace with full recovery. Do 4-6 to keep life in legs. That is all you need for now. Continue to build. As you approach your goal race or about 8-10 weeks before, get back in contact with us. A few 5K races will be awesome and help monitor your fitness.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm not a big fan of doing all your runs at the same pace. You don't necessarily have to go to the track if you don't want to, but each of your runs should have a purpose. You should throw in a tempo run, where you run at a pace closer to your lactate threshold. I also wouldn't run my long run at the same speed as my other runs. This is just what works for me, others will be different.
          while i've been (slowly) building mileage i've been running most of my runs at a very similar, easy pace. i do race a bit which gives me the speedwork element i guess. but i no longer do track or really anything in training faster than an occasional couple of ks at half marathon pace. it hasn't stopped me taking 15mins off my half marathon time this year. and it has kept me injury free. i'll be continuing with this until i get to the mileage i want and feel settled and comfortable there. so if its working for you don't feel you need to change it.