Gulp..Just Registered for my very first Marathon.. (Read 844 times)

Double IPA Please!

In October.. Shocked I can do this. I can do this. No really I can do this. Tongue Even if this is the only one I do, I'll be pleased. A ha-yuge personal accomplishment. Question, I am doing a 10 mile in April, should I start into a training routine after that? OR build a bigger base and then start training in like June or July?

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Denise...when in Oct.? I just registered for my first last week--on 10/5! Smile We're gonna rock our races! Big grin I'm currently training for a 25k in mid-May, then starting my training for the marathon on June 1. I have a pretty decent 30 mile/week base which will get up to closer to 40 by the time I do the 25k, so I will start my marathon training out at about a 33 mile week and maxing in the 45-50 mile range, depending upon how I handle the mileage increases, Summer heat, overall health/strength, etc.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Double IPA Please!

Hey Kirsten- The 19th. It is the Nike Womens. I am a tad confused though. When I went to the site over the weekend to see when registration begins it stated today. However, due to an overwhelming response the last few years, they decided this year to do a random drawing of names. However, when I registered and got my confirmation email, it gave me all the information as if I am indeed registered, when to pick my packet up, shuttle info..all the normal stuff. So here I sit not sure whether I am indeed registered or if I am registered for the random drawing of names to be picked (20,000 slots Shocked).. after going back and re-reading.. Confused I will have to wait and see after the 18th when registration closes. In either case keep your fingers crossed for me.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

The Greatest of All Time

Hey Kirsten- The 19th. It is the Nike Womens. I am a tad confused though. When I went to the site over the weekend to see when registration begins it stated today. However, due to an overwhelming response the last few years, they decided this year to do a random drawing of names. However, when I registered and got my confirmation email, it gave me all the information as if I am indeed registered, when to pick my packet up, shuttle info..all the normal stuff. So here I sit not sure whether I am indeed registered or if I am registered for the random drawing of names to be picked (20,000 slots Shocked).. after going back and re-reading.. Confused I will have to wait and see after the 18th when registration closes. In either case keep your fingers crossed for me.
          I think you're indeed registered. No backing out of this puppy now! You will do great! Stay focused and determined. Train smart and have a great race.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that sounds way cool! Where is that marathon? I have seen ads for it...sounds really cool. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Double IPA Please!

San Fran/Union Square. I'm not counting my eggs yet, after the 18th OR after my cc gets charged I will consider it official. Tongue I am pretty excited if I get in. I have been toying with this one for the last 3 years now.

AnneCA

Yeah, I don't think you are registered. I got the same message, but they only charged my credit card $0.01, and then that disappeared a couple of hours later. So that was just checking for card validity, I presume, and they won't charge the $90 (I'm hoping for the HM) unless and until I win the lottery. Agree that it's a completely confusing message though! And, best of luck with your training, whatever race you end up running!!
                  I'm surprised to hear a major established race with Nike's name on it isn't crystal clear about the process for getting a number. Hope you win the lottery ladies, best of luck to you!

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Imminent Catastrophe

In October.. Shocked I can do this. I can do this. No really I can do this. Tongue Question, I am doing a 10 mile in April, should I start into a training routine after that? OR build a bigger base and then start training in like June or July?
                    IMHO, build a good aerobic base, increasing your long runs (easy aerobic pace) and weekly mileage. Your goal is to start an 18 or 20-week marathon training program healthy and with a good aerobic endurance base. Then do a "finish" training program that doesn't call for much speedwork. You'll go into the Nike Womens Marathon healthy and energized. After that you will be addicted, this will not be your last one. From your log, it looks like you have a good ratio--mostly long/easy, with a little "cruise" and most importantly, you run almost every day (I think that consistency is a very important factor in training for a marathon--equally important to your long runs). Denise, I like your avatar--Dobes? I have 3 Dobes, a Red and two Black & Tans. They're great dogs! Keep us informed how it goes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I entered also - Check out this link: http://insidenikerunning.nike.com/2008/02/29/2008-nike-women%e2%80%99s-marathon-registration/ Looks like March 4-18 is the window to enter the random drawing for the 20,000 spots. They then draw from that pool, and inform you April 1 whether you're in or out... Good luck!

Double IPA Please!

Yeah, I read and re-read and figured I was registered for the Lottery, however, the email of the confirmation they send you is pretty deceiving. I also went to Team in Training to see what is up with them, because if I read correctly if you join TNT you automatically get a slot to run through/with them. The only part I get uncomfortable with is having to raise money.. We shall see. If I don't get in there is always the Philly Marathon. Wink PerfesserR..yes, those are our Dobies. The male is Red and Tan (will be 2 this month) and the Black and Tan is our baby girl Neva. She was a rescue through the Dobie Rescue League. They are such a great breed aren't they? She (Neva) runs with me. Hemi (he) runs occasionally with me, as he is a tad more rambunctious and I end up with an achey shoulder by runs ends. We do use prong collars, but a shorter leash and it get difficult as it begins to change my gait keeping on top of him, whereas with her She runs out in front of me and is dream and I only need to use a slip leash on her.

Runs with ALTITUDE!

In October.. Shocked I can do this. I can do this. No really I can do this. Tongue Even if this is the only one I do, I'll be pleased.
                          Me too! Also in October, on the 19th: The Denver Marathon. I ran the 1/2 at last year's marathon.
                          jorgecrespo

I'm running my first on December 7th. Still haven't registered. After 2 half-marys done, i'm counting on running 3 or 4 HM's more (May,July,September and/or Late October), and then, the "mighty 42k". Guess i'm gonna try to register to them all on the same day. Right now i'm off to vacation (DISNEYLAND YEAY!), and then i'll worry with that paper work. Base-Building right now, packing 9k easy runs day after day, and then i'll start a regular schedule on the 17th march, when i'm back home. What about you? What are your plans until the "big day"?