Cotton Socks (Read 1744 times)

MikeB-BoR

+1 for Smartwool

Goals :
    •Drop to 180 #s and hold steady around that weight 

I'm so damn cheap, I wear cotton ones.  And they suck.  what kind should I get?  I hate spending money on socks.

- Anya

I'm so damn cheap, I wear cotton ones.  And they suck.  what kind should I get?  I hate spending money on socks.

Hard to go wrong at Walmart (starter brand) or Target (can't think of it) in terms of cost.  You can probable get 4-6 pair for 1 pair of the crazy bamboo (or whatever) stuff that Runners World always reviews.  If I poke a hole in $2 socks, I don't care.  If I poke a hole in $12 socks, I cry.  (Just my opinion )

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

xor

Target sells lots of Champion stuff.

As for the expensive socks, I swear by Balega.  Comfy and it took 4 years to finally bust holes in my oldest pairs.  I run a lot, and I'm very hard on shoes and socks.

Blaaahhhh

I still run in cotton socks, but then again for the longest time I ran in cotton shirts too. I hope the other runners don't start laughing and pointing at my socks like they did my t-shirts. I'll have to give running socks a try. Who knows maybe I'll get hooked on them like I did with the running shirts.

Beginner all over again

How long do you have to run for before cotton socks become uncomfortable? 

I run in Feetures....are they cotton?   

I love my SmartWool socks, esp in the winter or if it is raining.

Just got a pair of Balegas. I've worn them only once so far but they seem pretty good.

I've never had any trouble with drinking milk...but I hear some people are lactose intollerant.  Should I stop drinking milk?  Just wondering. 

haha. very good point. made me laugh a little. I was really just curious what people thought about it. i'll probably never buy any running socks because i hate to spend money and i can get three pairs of cotton socks for 1$ at the dollar store. 

Goals: Run.
                  keeponrunning

I recently figured out why my gym shirts were always smelling.  Turns out it was my shoes!    I've never had that issue with any of my other shoes that actually get more use.  I figure it was because I was using regular socks with them instead of athletic socks.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

A Saucy Wench

I get the champion ones from costco.  They are supposed to be wicking, seems to work  They have them off and on, but so far they always bring them back.  6 pairs, $9.  Never have gotten a blister. 

I poke holes in socks quickly, no way can I afford "running socks". 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marathon Maniac #957

Are we really having a conversation about socks?

Well, er, this IS, after all, a running forum....

If you'd rather, I could tell talk about the 2 toenails that I lost yesterday....(18 days after a 50K, this was actually right on schedule)...

Cotton vs. running socks - I haven't really noticed a difference.  I don't get blisters until I run 20+ miles, and then I will get them no matter what kind of socks I wear, usually under my middle toenails.  Since my running shoes are a size bigger than my street shoes, I've been told this is from my toes hitting the top of my shoes.  Mostly I get the Champion socks from Wal-Mart, but I wear running socks on most really long runs or marathons.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Prince of Fatness

I poke holes in socks quickly, no way can I afford "running socks". 

They already come with holes, you know, to put your feet in, so you really don't need to poke any more holes in them.

Hope that helps.

Not at it at all. 

A Saucy Wench

They already come with holes, you know, to put your feet in, so you really don't need to poke any more holes in them.

Hope that helps.

What would I do without you Tater.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Thunder

*sigh* I've actually stopped drinking milk.  I am not lactose intollerant...but I spent this past weekend with a friend that is.  He had this "Almond Breeze" stuff...I had no choice but to try it. 

Turns out it tastes better than milk, and is cheaper.  Who knew.  I'm an Almond Breeze man now. 

My whole world is broken.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Wuss.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka