1.5 mile time (Read 2068 times)

thejones

OK, so I need to improve my 1.5 mile time.

I have been in the military for 10 years, and have never been a big runner. I have always just sucked it up and ran my PT test once a year, and that was good enough.

Well, now I am getting older, and the PT requirements are getting more strict (not a good combo). So I have taken up running.

I am starting out slow (I think), running 1.5 miles a few times per week, in about 12:45. I need to get that time below 12:00. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Hannibal Granite

- Run more than 1.5 miles at a time - don't worry about how fast you are running just get out and run

- Run more often (assuming a few times a week means 2-3) if you want to improve get that up to at least 5 days/week

SLOW DOWN on most of your runs, but go farther.  If you can run a mile and a half in 12:45 running all out you're running at about 8:30 per mile pace, so instead of running all out for 1.5 miles try running for 30-40 minutes at a much easier pace.  The pace may be something like 11 minutes per mile (plus or minus 30 seconds), but again don't worry about how fast just get the time in.  Do these easier runs every run for  few weeks.  Once you have done these slower, easier, longer runs for 2-3 weeks you can add one day of faster running per week. 

If you are on a military base and are running the 1.5 mile you probably have access to a track, you could try running a 400 (one lap around the track) in 2 minutes flat (that's your goal pace) then walk around for a minute and run another 400 in 2 minutes.  Do this as many times as you can until you can't get 2 minutes or below anymore. 

Becoming a better runner takes time and effort, it won't happen overnight, but it can happen.

Good luck!      

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

One more thing I  would add....  run for you, not for the military.

Weird sounding advice, maybe, but I was in the military.  I ran because they said I had to run every morning for PT.  I ran because I had to take a PT test.  I really could not stand running.

But...  something changed.  I decided to run a local 5k shortly after getting out of the Army.  I started training for the 5K.  I was running because I wanted to run and not because someone said I must.  I had a blast at the 5K.  People were nice and happy, and I was having fun.  I was seeing improvement in my muscle tone and my weight.  Something really had changed.  I started to love running.

When you run for you, it changes the game.  It is a whole lot more fun.  When something is fun, you will try harder, but it will feel a lot easier.  

Take Hannibal's advice, it is good.  Also buy a good running book that tells you how to begin training.  Pick a local 5K.  Put the focus on improving yourself rather than obeying a system.  It will make all the difference in the world.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

One more thing I  would add....  run for you, not for the military.

Weird sounding advice, maybe, but I was in the military.  I ran because they said I had to run every morning for PT.  I ran because I had to take a PT test.  I really could not stand running.

But...  something changed.  I decided to run a local 5k shortly after getting out of the Army.  I started training for the 5K.  I was running because I wanted to run and not because someone said I must.  I had a blast at the 5K.  People were nice and happy, and I was having fun.  I was seeing improvement in my muscle tone and my weight.  Something really had changed.  I started to love running.

When you run for you, it changes the game.  It is a whole lot more fun, and when something is fun, you will try harder, but it will feel a lot easier.  

Take Hannibal's advice, it is good.  Also buy a good running book that tells you how to begin training.  Pick a local 5K.  Put the focus on improving yourself rather than obeying a system.  It will make all the difference in the world.

Good advice. I still don't run in the morning because it reminds me of how much I hated PT.

Anyway, like HG said the best way to speed up is to run more and run those miles slow (to prevent injury). It sounds counter intuitive, but what you need to do is build endurance and that will help you with the speed.

Most of the advice is good here, just stick with it.

My friend is in the Air Force and goes on his 6 month cycle.  Passes his PT, does nothing for about 2 months, gains 10-15 pounds.  Then he starts to worry.  After procrastinating another month he then takes the fourth month to attempt to get going.  Then he stresses out the last 2 months overextending himself trying to get in shape and complains of being sore, then takes the PT test again.  Now he's 28 and each time it gets harder.

Just stick with the types of programs suggested by the others and try and at least get out and running 4-5 times a week.  The consistency will work wonders each time   If you get to the point where you can run 4-5 miles under 10:00/mile pace and have no trouble running 1/4 or 1/2 5-6 times under your goal pace of 8:00/mile I don't think you'll have a problem passing the PT.  If you get in training shape for a 5K as others have suggested, your PT test will just be another ho-hum workout!

Good luck, and thank you for serving.

So I have taken up running.

a few times per week

That right there is probably the best thing you can do for it. Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck on your future PT tests.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

run more and slow down.  running 2 miles in 18:00 four times a week for a month should have you ready to run 1.5 miles in under 12:00.  if you have 2 months to train then all the better.  you can get closer to running 4 miles a day in 36:00 and you'll crush that 12:00 goal.  Sure the final test will be run harder but you'll be suprised how much easier it is to run hard when you have endurance built up. 

almost all you need is endurance.  you don't really need to increase top end speed.  you gain endurance by running more, not really by running faster. 

A Saucy Wench

Yup run more run slower.  Remember that the PT test is your race, dont try to beat that time each and every workout.  You have your benchmark, now let it go and do a mixed program of longer slower workouts with maybe weekly interval workouts.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Believe

I was in the Air Force for 4 years in Altus, OK.  When I was in basic I smoked, was 5'7' and weighed in at 165.  When we ran the final PT in week six, I needed 2 fellow airmen to grab my shirt sleeves and drag me around the last lap so I could graduate.  That said, I started running about 2 years later to pass PT, I still smoked mind you-dumb I know-and it was ok.

When I left the Air Force, I quit smoking and started running becasue I wanted to.  I am now 50 and after 20 years of running I completed my first marathon last year and I am looking forward to an ultra.  Yes you can do this and yes it may take time.  If you relax and run becasue you enjoy it, then you will pass PT and later, you too could be runninig marathons.  Good luck

Good advice here. One thing I would add is that you need to have a good assessment of your current fitness level. Try running an max. effort mile or 1600m (4 laps) on a track. Or turn around at the half mile mark on the PT course. If you can run a mile in 7:30-7:40, you can run a 12 minute PT run. If you are slower than that, then you probably have some work to do.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

One more thing...I would do an interval workout once a week where you do 1.5 miles worth of speedwork at slightly faster than your goal pace. It might look something like this...warm up by jogging a mile or so, run a quarter mile at 7:50-7:55 pace (7.6 on a treadmill with the incline set at 1.0) jog 2 minutes, then repeat 5 more times. Then jog another mile and do some cooldown exercises and stretches.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

thejones

Thanks for all the advise guys.

I think that I will try for 2 miles 3-4 times per week, and maybe add a half a mile every every week.

My calves are still toast from running two miles on the balls of my feet the other nigh (I usually go heel-toe). Right now I am walking like an old man with a stick in his ass. It actually looks kind of funny lol.

Anyways, hopefully you should see more of me around here.Thanks again.

Just be careful not to hurt yourself. Nothing is worse than running a PT test while hurt. My worst time on my PT test came from running with shin splints. It sucked the whole way.

Right now I am walking like an old man with a stick in his ass.

Funny, my wife says I act like an old man with a stick up his ass.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

I *AM* an old man with a stick up my ass.