Babies and Athletics. Can it be done? (Read 156 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

If you follow tumblr blogs (or any blogs, really) and want a new one, I just created RunBikeDad, chronicling my athletics and juggling kids. 

http://runbikedad.tumblr.com/ 

Check it out.  :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

L Train

You must have a lot of arm strength.

Cute kids!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Village people

Cute kids!

+1

I miss the baby stage.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You must have a lot of arm strength.

I laughed

For those missing the baby stage just wait until the grand baby stage comes along.  All the cuteness and a whole lot less stress.  Big grin

You people have issues 

some call me Tim

Man... you couldn't pay me to go back there, particularly the sleep training stuff. Our first we waited ages and when we tried it she got it in one night. With the second it was more like what you're describing. Getting in workouts during that period was pretty tough, and all I was doing at the time was a bunch of bodyweight stuff... probably kept me sane, though. Best of luck... I'm sure you'll be sleeping somewhat peacefully soon, dreaming of what sports they'll excel at Wink Our firstborn is 6 now and she's just the happiest little runner you'd ever want to meet. No training, mind you - she just runs, grinning.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

For those missing the baby stage just wait until the grand baby stage comes along.  All the cuteness and a whole lot less stress.  Big grin

Can't wait for that.  Especially the less stress.

steph  

runmomto3boys

What cuties!!!

Feeling the growl again

What cuties!!!

+1.

I am glad it's working ok for you.  With my first we could not let her cry it out for many months because she was a preemie and her brain had a habit of forgetting to breath...let her cry to long and she would just stop breathing.  On a monitor for 9 months alarming every 30-60min.  That and she was so tiny she HAD to eat at night.

Fun times.

My second daughter, we laid down the law and let her cry it out.  She cried for hours but was finally quiet.  We won!  The next morning (8-9 hours later) I go into the nursery and there she is, still clinging weakly to the crib rail, eyes closed and half-asleep but still trying to yell.  She had not EVER stopped, she just lost her voice!  We felt pretty awful about that.  The stubbornness was just a sign of things to come with that one.

My son must have known that as third child we would have a short fuse.  As soon as he was weaned he began sleeping 12-14 hours a night.  Smile

Treadmill training is another fun endeavor (training them to be safe around the treadmill while mommy and daddy are running).  I've had good luck with that around 18 months, though my son looks like he is catching on a bit quicker.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Treadmill training is another fun endeavor (training them to be safe around the treadmill while mommy and daddy are running).  I've had good luck with that around 18 months, though my son looks like he is catching on a bit quicker.

I put a playyard around the treadmill.  I had a friend who's son fell on a running treadmill at his babysitter's house and it took off the tissue to the bone.  Old enough to know better, they were screwing around on it when they knew they shouldnt be.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Village people

I put a playyard around the treadmill.  I had a friend who's son fell on a running treadmill at his babysitter's house and it took off the tissue to the bone.  Old enough to know better, they were screwing around on it when they knew they shouldnt be.

Ouch! I fell on my treadmill when I was pregnant, I still have a scar on my knee.

Mine was blocked from my kids when they were little. Mostly, I would run while they napped.

Feeling the growl again

Yup, I taped cardboard around it until they are trustworthy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills