New to Running Clothes (Read 2365 times)

Hi All, I have been putting off buying special clothes for running and been running in mostly cotton. However, I've recently been scratching all over my upper body and legs (no, no funny rashes) and suspect its due to salt deposits. I sweat more than (perhaps literally) the average bear and think I need to move "up" to sweat-wicking clothing. Any recommendations for a beginner? Do some of you find sweat-wicking clothing unncessary?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Half Fanatic #846

I sweat more than (perhaps literally) the average bear and think I need to move "up" to sweat-wicking clothing. Any recommendations for a beginner?
      Go to a sports/running store and buy a moisture-wicking running top. After your first run in it, I'm pretty sure you'll be convinced of the need for running clothes. I was like you - I ran at first in cotton and gym shorts. I couldn't believe the difference a running shirt made, and running shorts with a built in liner are great too. Big grin

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Don't forget your feet! Pick up a pack of polyester-blend (non-cotton) socks too and wear only those for all of your running. It really helps avoid blisters. Enjoy your runs. Buying gear can be a lot of fun. Big grin
        ~ Fly ~
        Only as much as I dream can I be.
        veggies on the run

Running shorts = less chafage Smile

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better; some of my best running gear has been the least costly. Pay attention to the seams. Seams cause chaffing, so they should either be sewn flat or they should be on the outside of garment. Buy true-to-size. Technical fabric does not shrink when washed. Do not use fabric softener (liquid or dryer sheets) on technical fabrics; the chemicals in fabric softeners interfere with the wicking properties of the fabric.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Misinformation Officer

Marshall's, Target, TJ Maxx, and Ross in the US have excellent wicking sports clothes.

Maniac

Do not use fabric softener (liquid or dryer sheets) on technical fabrics; the chemicals in fabric softeners interfere with the wicking properties of the fabric.
                I did not know this...

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I did not know this...
                  Yup; fabric softeners leave waxy “surfactants” behind on the fabric’s fibers that inhibit the technical performance. If you have used fabric softener on your technical gear, simply wash them a few times (without the fabric softener, obviously) and they should get back to their normal properties.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I also started in cotton shirts and gym shorts and couldn't imagine that tech would really be better. I was also a little worried about stink, because any 50/50 cotton poly blend T-shirts that I've owned have invariably ended up horribly funky if I sweated in them at all. Since all tech stuff is polyester, I was worried that I'd just be buying clothes that would instantly reek. I was curious enough that I broke down and bought one C9 shirt and pair of shorts with a liner from Target. After one run I was convinced. Much nicer. Now, I only run in tech stuff. All of my tech clothes are C9, which are very reasonable in general, and if you watch them for a while, they rotate on and off of sale pretty regularly. I've never tried any of the more expensive running branded tech clothes. I wonder occasionally if it's even better than this, but I've never been unsatisfied with my C9, so I keep my money and stick with the cheap stuff.
                    Brandon
                      More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better; some of my best running gear has been the least costly.
                      My favorite running shorts are a pair of yoga shorts that I bought at the thrift shop for a little over $2. My favorite running shirt is my RA tank top. I need to get more though, one isn't cutting it. Smile My socks I do spend more than I normally would for socks but it's worth it.

Michelle

The young Mama Bear!

Champion's workout line for Target is both cheap and effective. Most of them are moisture-wicking and geared towards the beginner & intermediate group of runners/exercisers. I bought many racerbacks and pants from that line, and I'm never itchy or soaked in sweat...and I sweat quite a bit! The best socks I've ever used during exercise were non-cotton socks. I forget the brand, but they were cushioned and SO nice. I recommend non-cotton socks. Smile
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

My favorite running shorts are a pair of yoga shorts that I bought at the thrift shop for a little over $2.
                          Ha ha - I totally identify with you! My favorite ones are thrift shop and Ebay finds too. I found a nylon-blend pair on "2-dollar-Mondays" years ago and last year I found 2 more almost exactly the same used on Ebay. Big grin
                          ~ Fly ~
                          Only as much as I dream can I be.
                          veggies on the run

Giant Flaming Dork

Technical t-shirts I currently own: Russel Champion (C9 at Target) Tek Gear (Kohls) Reebok which are all lower priced brands. Of these, I would rank C9 and Tek Gear the highest. C9 seems to have the best wicking properties, the Tek Gear is less chaffing. I have never worn anything overpriced more expensive that this so I can't compare it to a Nike or Under Armour. DW found the Tek Gear on clearance in oct/nov of last year for $3-5 for a shirt.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Ringmaster

Marshall's, Target, TJ Maxx, and Ross in the US have excellent wicking sports clothes.
                              I've gotten great Nike tech shorts for $8 at Marshalls. Can't beat it.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

Another vote for the C9 stuff at Target. I wait until they put them on clearance and then snatch a bunch up. Chafing only became an issue when I increased my mileage. Now I am out for a couple of hours on the weekends. Even with the tech stuff I still had some chafing if I was out there long enough. I bought some Bodyglide and the problem was solved.

Not at it at all.