Realistic First Marathon Target time (Read 3780 times)

Slo

I think this is the point when I have to admit that I know very little about training beginning marathoners.

I think you'd do fine with beginning marathoners. It's training the low volume marathoner you'd suck at.

L Train

I suggest that you take a peek at Dopplebock's log. Smile

Go back and look at A1s too.  Man was he an untalented tub of goo.

MTA: Scratch that - it's not in the log.  But it's apparently common knowledge.

Sorry to high jack the topic, but I like the discussion.  To me, we left the training for marathons a while ago, and transformed this into

The nature versus nuture discussion -

As far as ability, there is fairly good evidence that there is optimal body characteristics for certain sports.  Although this includes type of muscle fibers (although simplified to slow and fast twitch, there is actually a continuum), it also includes height, weight, skeletal structure etc.  The best endurance athletes have a preponderance of slow twitch, and sprinters fast twitch.  Although training has been shown to change the relative amount, this is more of a statistical difference than a large difference.  This debate still rages on in the literature, but so far it looks like genetic predisposition holds the upper hand.  

I won't venture into the optimal body shape, but will say it is rare to see a high jumper less than 6 foot. I will also say I am impressed with DB accomplishments, as he is not typical for marathoners.  But as already stated, he is also not an elite at this distance.  I can go on about other differences, such as ability to build muscle or withstand the stress of heavy workouts based on genetic differences.  On top of this, especially in endurance sports, is the years of training that it takes to get to the next levels. 

This is similar to our ability to learn.  Some are gifted in mathematics and or sciences, or literature or language.

Regardless of the starting point, I think we can all agree that the end point is also very dependent on training. 

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

Run, a lot.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm not sure there is much mystery with the nature v. nurture argument. For the vast majority of us, the more we put in the more we get out of something. Daniels divided runners into four categories in "Running Formula". I think most of us here fall into the "Lots of Desire without world class DNA". That doesnt mean you cant be a good or very good runner. I've been reading "Talent is Overrated" (its easy and fast if anybody is interested). In that book, there is a wide range of people that can do any particular job. But, its those that put in the long hours that are likely to make it to the top. And, there is Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers" that basically says the same thing. Bill Gates, for example, started programming when he was a kid. While most of us dont have the ability to become the next Microsoft of Marathons, we can become successful startups.

I am interested in the marathon target time. How does anybody pick one out. Isnt every race different? Every training different? Personally, I feel okay having a goal time. But, how does an experienced marathon runner adjust how they are doing mid-race? Esp. if its a course they have never done.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Why is it sideways?

To tmca:

I'm not exactly sure how to respond here. You win? Uncle?

From where I sit, you called out a guy who is one of the least pretentious and most helpful posters on this board. I just wanted to say that hey Dopplebock wasn't meaning disrespect; I think you missed his point.

That's it. I'm not interested in debating nature/nurture on a message board.

Why is it sideways?

I am interested in the marathon target time. How does anybody pick one out. Isnt every race different? Every training different? Personally, I feel okay having a goal time. But, how does an experienced marathon runner adjust how they are doing mid-race? Esp. if its a course they have never done.

I will try to answer this question--or at least turn it into another set of questions.

I think experienced marathoners know marathon effort. They can feel it in their workouts, and they know it in their races. They extrapolate goal times from their effort. Experienced runners also know more or less within 5 minutes what they are capable of on a given day because, well, they are experienced.

For newer marathoners, it is really difficult to pin down the time you are capable of, especially in your first marathon. The best thing to do, I think, is come up with a reasonable, conservative goal. Err on the side of caution--run your basic easy pace--then crank it in over the last six miles. Chances are you will leave some time on the table with this method, but that's not the worst thing that can happen in your first marathon!

MrH

Regardless of the starting point, I think we can all agree that the end point is also very dependent on training. 

For 99.99% of the folks who frequent this message board, that is all that matters. While you don't see many world-class high jumpers who are less than 6', you certainly see many national class ones. And as this discussion was about 4 versus 3 hours marathons, or slightly quicker, genetic talent is really not the important factor.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I think you'd do fine with beginning marathoners. It's training the low volume marathoner you'd suck at.

So true. +1

mta: If you are a runner, not a jogger like mikeymike, a realistic first marathon target time should be <4:00.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

mikeymike

From where I sit, tmca didn't call out Dopple Bock. He simply--clumsily perhaps--tried to pay him a compliment.

Runners run

MrH

From where I sit, tmca didn't call out Dopple Bock. He simply--clumsily perhaps--tried to pay him a compliment.

So you're calling out Jeff's ability to discern intent on the Internet?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But he also said that DB isn't an elite, which gets into rather a semantic debate, I'd say Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

So you're calling out Jeff's ability to discern intent on the Internet?

I'm going way out on a limb there, I know.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I'm going way out on a limb there, I know.

Ha. Okay. My bad.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Jeff,

I'm not entirely a beginner at the marathon, but I'm also not experienced - at least, not enough to know what marathon effort is. I don't know how to pace to race a marathon -- I'm tempted to just take my PR pace and try to run that pace. Which would running to a number, which is probably the opposite of running to an effort level.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.