Leather furniture with fully clawed (armed?) cats (Read 237 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My daughter left dishes all over the house for us to clean up too.  She is moved out now and living with her fiance.  It is funny how she doesn't do that in her own apartment, or at least she cleans it up before we get there.

I'll bet she cleans like a mad-woman before you come.  I do this if I know company is coming. Blush

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'll bet she cleans like a mad-woman before you come.  I do this if I know company is coming. Blush

I've never really understood this, but it seems that "appropriate level of cleanliness" in the house for self and family is not near as high as the "appropriate level of cleanliness" when company comes over!

Personally I keep things pretty clean all the time, but find myself giving alot more attention to detail when folks are coming over.

....  Unless it is the in-laws... Then I make sure the place is as trashy as possible in the hopes they will opt for a hotel next time they are in the area.  Approve

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've never really understood this, but it seems that "appropriate level of cleanliness" in the house for self and family is not near as high as the "appropriate level of cleanliness" when company comes over!

Personally I keep things pretty clean all the time, but find myself giving alot more attention to detail when folks are coming over.

....  Unless it is the in-laws... Then I make sure the place is as trashy as possible in the hopes they will opt for a hotel next time they are in the area.  Approve

See, that's what I SHOULD do!  For some reason I am extra anal-retentive when the MIL is coming. Confused

~ Sarah Kay

WTF is it with in-laws!  (I am military, and I came back from a 6 month deployment, thinking that I would get some quality time with my wife!  Only to learn that their cheap asses had not reserved a hotel room and wanted to stay at the house!)  Spare bedroom right next to ours......  How nuts is it when you end up making a 'love nest" in the closet because you don't want the dang in-laws to hear, I swear!  (Sorry if that was too much TMI.... But Really!    I mean god knows if one of my kids comes home after 6 months from Afghan or from a deployment, I will know not to be in the area at night! Blush

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nah, that was totally rude of them to impose, given the circumstances.

~ Sarah Kay

anneb

Get the leather!  We had leather and never had any problems.  We did have a few scratches from when the cats landed funny and slipped but those faded.  We recently bought a fabric upholstered couch and chair to replace the leather (because it wore out on the arms) and I am so unhappy.  You can see fur everywhere and I have blankets covering the furniture.  I hate it -- I am just happy we didn't shell out a fortune so we can replace it in a few years.

I agree with Sara! We have a 15yo and she has never shown any interest in scratching the leather (not true with other furniture AND wool rugs!). Our main reason for going with leather was the fur (also have big dog). Our living room stuff is approaching 10 years old, and it is in pretty good shape. If anything, it looks worn on the ends where the dog hangs out.

Anne

joescott

Hey zoom,

We have 1 fully armed cat and two leather couches.  No issues.  However, our cat is an indoor-outdoor cat.  She nearly clawed our neighbor's little maple tree to death, but she's never done any damage to the furniture inside the house, leather or not.  Perhaps that's because she can work out her clawing instincts outdoors?

Joe

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Little Blue

My sister has several fully armed cats, and they destroyed her last couch and chair.  She got replacements in microfiber, and they don't bother it at all.  It looks a bit suede-y, but it's smooth so there is nothing for them to grab on.  So far, so good, and cheaper than leather.  And warmer for the humans.

Sharz96

We’ve had two cats and three different furnature sets over the years, two fabric and one leather. Both cats had/have full claws.  Cat #1 loved to scratch the fabric sofas.  He completely ruined the first one, but it was a second-hand sofa that we fully intended to get rid of once we moved from cramped apartment to our own house, so we didn’t care. The second set (in the new home) is now 10 years old.  Cat #1 didn’t like nearly as much, but he did do a bit of damage to one area over the course of about six years.  Not enough that we’ve replaced it, though.  Cat #2 loves that sofa, and she uses it more than we do.  I've caught her scratching a few times, but not much.  The third set was for the family room, and we decided to try leather. Cat #1hated it and stayed off of it.  Cat #2 likes to sit on the leather, but she doesn’t intentionally scratch it.  Just some nicks here and there.   It’s about six or seven years old now and I expect it to last the rest of her life (she’s about 11; he's passed on now) with no problem.  The leather will probably last longer than the other sofa at this point.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh, just talked to my MIL a bit ago and she very pointedly told me that we should care about our home/furnishings more than our cats and have them declawed, even though I very clearly pointed-out that it's an outlawed procedure in most of the Western world, for good reason.  And it's particularly painful to declaw fully grown cats and can also lead to arthritis and behavioral issues.  She poo-poohed all of that, of course. Roll eyes

I hope her chocolate lab (that she coos about like it's an infant) chews something and blasts some explosive diarrhea on her favorite furnishings. Evil

~ Sarah Kay

You've gotten plenty of responses, but I'll just add that we have 2 leather sofas and a leather recliner and the only punctures in it are from our now deceased giant cat, when he'd try to jump onto the couch and would dig his claws in to pull himself up.  Our current kitty does not do that.  She loves to lay on any part of it, but has never punctured it or tried to sharpen her claws on it.  Now, our brand new fabric chairs in the living room.... different story.  We got some "cat tape" (large swaths of double-sided tape) and put it on the corners, and she leaves it alone.  In fact if she rubs up against the chair, forgetting about the tape, and her fur gets stuck, it's pretty funny to watch.

Michelle

mikewilcox

link spam
                          keeponrunning

Wow, somebody really went to some work to spam a 3.5 year old thread!  I've been to Zoomy's new house and it seems her furniture has survived-- on the other paw, the one polydactyl really does like the colourful rug in her living area....

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, somebody really went to some work to spam a 3.5 year old thread!  I've been to Zoomy's new house and it seems her furniture has survived-- on the other paw, the one polydactyl really does like the colourful rug in her living area....

Oh, ha...the arms of our sofa actually have taken some abuse.  Not consistently.  Every once in a while one of them will get a bug up their butt to trash the furniture.  But the rug...yeah.  I think we won't be doing wool rugs after we retire the 2 we have.  The cats seem to view them as horizontal scratching devices.  Those dumb things (the rugs) shed so bad, to begin with.  But the cats don't help.  Synthetic is so much cheaper and easier to deal with.  And the cats seem totally disinterested in trashing those.

~ Sarah Kay