Mild PF? Need for more stability? (Read 1016 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sounds like did needs to get you an early Mother's Day present.
    Heh...and here I was hoping I could finagle my way into a certain little wrist-worn GPS unit...crap. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Though the 1221 is a men's model, so 1220 is the next ladies model down.
      Interesting...I just looked to see what a pair of 1221s for women would cost. The cheapest ones are hardly any less than what I have found 1222s for on Froogle. And still more expensive than the 767. Strange. One would think a discontinued model would be significantly less than a current one...but I guess it's supply and demand--and there are likely a lot of folks still wearing the 1221 because of how different it appears to have been from the replacement. k

~ Sarah Kay

Jim Pouillon

Hello from the geeks podiatrist friend Pain on the outside of the arch could be PF, and you should stetch, ice, Motrinize, ect It could also be cuboid syndrome or peroneus brevis tendonitis. It is so rare for PF to bother someone only towards the end of their long runs i would rule that out.
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

But why in the hell can I not get more than 200-250 miles out of a pair of shoes? This crap is getting old. Every shoe I have ever loved has started giving me issues by the time I hit 225 miles or so. Like clockwork.
          I find that statement interesting. Your shoes consistently give you problems at around 200-250 miles? In a way, that's good because we are narrowing the cause. It could be that your feet are sensitive to the proper support of the shoe. Your best bet is to have your gait analyzed. Perhaps it's not as efficient and the shoe does much of the correction for you. Just a thought. When you switch to the new shoe and your pain goes away after 3 - 4 runs, then you know it's the shoe. If it doesn't go away, it doesn't tell us anything new, that it may or may not be the shoe.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is so rare for PF to bother someone only towards the end of their long runs i would rule that out.
            Thanks for the info., fellow West Michigander! Smile Yeah, I'm sorta figuring it wouldn't be that, either...at least I hope. PF seems to be one of the more miserable issues that crop up for runners. If it's not the shoes then I will be doing some research on the other conditions you mention. Are these things that can be easily treated...or could these things potentially worsen and kill my running "career?" k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I find that statement interesting. Your shoes consistently give you problems at around 200-250 miles? In a way, that's good because we are narrowing the cause. It could be that your feet are sensitive to the proper support of the shoe. Your best bet is to have your gait analyzed. Perhaps it's not as efficient and the shoe does much of the correction for you. Just a thought.
              Would having my gait analyzed be as simple as having a running store check things out, or would this be something I would want to take to a sports medicine professional? I've been sort of thinking about looking into having my VO2 max tested...I wonder if my college alma mater could do all of this. They have a sports med program of some sort, I believe. Would they have a performance testing lab, do you suppose? k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just got back from my long run (14.5 miles--longest run ever) wearing the newer pair of 767s. My feet seemed no worse than in my older ones, even at that distance, though I was really beat by the last hour of that run (almost 3 hours). I'm not sure that that has anything to do with the shoes, though, LOL! I do wonder if I might want to keep trying my 1222s--especially for longer runs. My knees and feet overall were pretty annoyed with me by about mile 10. I've never had a long run that was so unpleasant for so long. I think I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. On Monday I am planning to run 7 miles or so. I'll wear the newer 767s again and see how they go. I might try to do a shortish run on Tues. with the 1222s to see how they differ, too. I'm starting to wonder if my stability needs might change with the season...or maybe the wind direction or phases of the moon...

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I expected my feet to still hurt this AM, but they don't. Now I really am thinking that the problem may have been my older shoes (yesterday's run was long and my feet still were kinda crabby from previous runs, but I was in my newer shoes). I still think it's nuts that I can't get more than 200-250 miles out of most shoes, though. Gah, think of the money I'd save if I could actually get that recommended 300-500 miles/pair! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I still think it's nuts that I can't get more than 200-250 miles out of most shoes, though. Gah, think of the money I'd save if I could actually get that recommended 300-500 miles/pair!
                    I think you should try going to a good running store and have them analyze your shoes and your gait as you run on a treadmill. They may have some suggestions. Back in the day Gazelle Sports was really good in the Grand Rapids area; I'm sure they're still around now. I was also thinking that you should pay close attention to the $/mi calculation that Eric has set up in our shoe category. You may find that a certain shoe is more economical (even if it costs more up front). Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you should try going to a good running store and have them analyze your shoes and your gait as you run on a treadmill. They may have some suggestions. Back in the day Gazelle Sports was really good in the Grand Rapids area; I'm sure they're still around now. I was also thinking that you should pay close attention to the $/mi calculation that Eric has set up in our shoe category. You may find that a certain shoe is more economical (even if it costs more up front). Cheers, Jeff
                      Yep, Gazelle is still around--my MIL just got fitted for new shoes a couple of weeks ago. She is FINALLY moving away from her fugly old Saucony Shadows and into some Brooks Glycerines! Big grin I was fitted for my 1222s at the NB store in GR, which is actually owned by Gazelle. They didn't do a super thorough fitting, though (I had my son along with me, so it was tough to do more than just basics). My biggest limiter is the width of my feet. I like NB because ALL of their models come in wides and some even in extra wides. Today my feet felt a bit better (wearing my newer pair of 767s), though my right foot still has some soreness along the outside. I think tomorrow I might give my 1222s a go, again. I'm really starting to wonder if my stability needs are going to change a bit with the seasons--I know Trent has said that he has his gait and needs reassessed every time he buys new shoes. All that running on snow and ice was probably similar to trail running and required a shoe with less stability, but now that I have had a solid month or more of running on clean roads again my legs and feet seem to have gotten lazy. I'm guessing I won't have the pains in my 1222s this time that I had a month or so ago. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...well, that was a pleasant surprise. I wore my 1222s and had NO problems, this AM. Right outer arch was still a little sore, but much less sore than in recent runs. I forgot how much cushier those shoes are, too. Stiffer, but also more cushioned. I do miss how lightweight my 767s feel in comparison, though. It's like my little Mazda 3 compared to a luxury sedan. I'm starting to put things together that I think explain why I had issues with my 1222s a month or so ago. Back then my legs and feet had gotten used to running on looser terrain AND I was doing 2 hard lower-body weight workouts/week (and running fewer miles which I'm sure worked differing stability muscles). Now I have been running on dry roads for a month (and 30-50% more miles) and am only doing 1 lower body weight workout/week. I really think this explains my change in stability needs. This is something I will definitely keep in mind and watch for next Fall as Winter approaches.

~ Sarah Kay

We have two teenage boys who frequent this site and enjoy reading the forums. Would you please consider changing your logo to a more appropriate one? I'm sure others would appreciate it too. Many thanks in advance :-)
                            Many Thanks Smile
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hello from the geeks podiatrist friend Pain on the outside of the arch could be PF, and you should stetch, ice, Motrinize, ect It could also be cuboid syndrome or peroneus brevis tendonitis. It is so rare for PF to bother someone only towards the end of their long runs i would rule that out.
                              I am really starting to wonder if it's not PF, myself. I've been reading a bit and it sounds like PF is more often on the inside arch, not so much the outside. I've seen some references to cuboid syndrome that sound very much like what I am dealing with, too. This thing doesn't bother me more in the AM than at any time of the day, it's just a naggy thing with some occasional "twingy" sensations. I do definitely feel more pain when I'm barefoot, though. Some days it hardly bothers me (like my previous post), then other days it about drives me up a wall. I'm so sick to death of being in to see my doc (allergies, asthma, sinus issues, etc.), but I'm getting very tired of this. My most stable shoes sometimes work well for me (hence my last really awesome run last week), and other days make me hurt--though they do make my arches happier. I'm trying some OTC orthotics that feel great when I am just walking around, but after a mile or two of running I hurt. Had some numb foot issues, too (which I have run into before and am very suspicious is a chronic compartment syndrome thing with my history of overly tight calves and shin splints, but it doesn't affect me too often so I don't worry about it most of the time). I think part of this is probably not giving them enough of a break-in. I'm going to look at the peroneus brevis tendonitis possibility, too. If I don't get this figured-out soon I will be seeing if my PCP can give me a referral to come to the "big city" (Wink) to have you look at my duck feet. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

ZZ, Sorry your ducks are bumming you out. I forwarded a link of your post to Jim, as I don't think he checks in here regularly. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.