My first marathon (Read 1293 times)

racerunner1314

I training to run my first marathon. My longest run so far was just about 16 miles. The marathon is on May 4. I am starting to worry that I have not trained enough for it. I do a lot of cross training along with my running. Any advice in the last two months of training. Thank you. Age: 15 (No comments please) Years running: 3 Training: Since December Goal: Finish
    Len

Damn Yankee

I have never run a marathon, but I can tell you that you need to provide alot more information about your training before you can get any useful information. -How long have you been training for this marathon? -What is your weekly mileage? -What is your goal for May 4? Right now we now that your longest run is 16 miles and your marathon is on May 4. Not nearly enough information for anyone (and there are plenty of people here that can give you solid advice) to help you.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

giddy-yup

... Age: 15 (No comments please) ...
        Very cool you are interested in keeping in shape, running, and marathons. But if you're not willing to listen to advice on what is a very valid factor, then one might be skeptical about what type of advice you might and might not be interested in hearing and listening to. My $.02: run track, cross-country, skip the 16 milers, and chase some girls instead. MTA: or boys. your choice. Smile
        JakeKnight

Very cool you are interested in keeping in shape, running, and marathons. But if you're not willing to listen to advice on what is a very valid factor, then one might be skeptical about what type of advice you might and might not be interested in hearing and listening to.
          Perhaps, unlike 99% of new people that pop up with questions, he took the time to actually use the search function and research his question - and knows exactly what many people will say about a 15 year old running a marathon. There are a great many posts and threads discussing that concern. He obviously knows it and is planning to run anyway - assuming he's found a race that will let him. Considering the fact that he obviously already knew what you were going to say, displays a remarkable degree of maturity for his age, and politely and specifically asked you not to do what you just did - perhaps you could have respected his request. Or skipped the thread. Or given him solid information on how to most likely avoid injury or age-related problems. Or at the very least not replied only to the part he specifically asked you not to reply to.
          I have never run a marathon, but I can tell you that you need to provide alot more information about your training before you can get any useful information. -How long have you been training for this marathon? -What is your weekly mileage? -What is your goal for May 4? Right now we now that your longest run is 16 miles and your marathon is on May 4. Not nearly enough information for anyone (and there are plenty of people here that can give you solid advice) to help you.
          RaceRunner: Mr. 1:43 1:41 Len up there is right. If you want some helpful advice, you'll need to cough up a lot more information. If you have a log here, just make it public, please. If not, let us know all the stuff Len asked. Also - what other races have you run? In what times? Do you run cross-country/track? Other sports? What mileage do you plan to peak at and/or how much time are you willing to invest? If you go out for a slow easy run, what pace are you running at? Which marathon? I was guessing Flying Pig, but you need to be 18 for that. There's a whole slew on 5/4. Which one? FYI: our local geek physician "Trent" runs a November marathon in Tennessee. A brutal race. http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com/ He had a 15 year old girl run last year. You might ask him if he knows anything about her training for the race that might be specifically age related. Just don't ask him about organic tofu or flu shots.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Most beginners training programs will have you running 20 mile long runs by now so yes, you are behind in training. You can likely make up for that because of your age but all that will do is put more stress on your under developed knees. I concur with giddy-yup, chase the girls instead. There will still be plenty of marathons later in life but most of girls will already be caught. Tom

Along with what Len asked, what gender are you? There's a big difference between what a 15 year old girl can do over what a 15 year old boy can do. (And yes, I think a marathon at 15 is a bad idea.)

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

giddy-yup

Perhaps, unlike 99% of new people that pop up with questions, he took the time to actually use the search function and research his question - and knows exactly what many people will say about a 15 year old running a marathon. There are a great many posts and threads discussing that concern. He obviously knows it and is planning to run anyway - assuming he's found a race that will let him.
                Perhaps, but nothing in the OP directly confirms these assumptions. Keeping all relevant factors in consideration would be a sign of maturity. And, age certainly is a factor, yes? There would seem to be something lacking in giving advise to a 15 year old about how to train for a marathon the same way one would advise a 25 or 30 year old.
                TammyinGP

I'm also training for my first marathon, which also happens to be on May4th. Any chance yours is Eugene? Anyways, I'm following Higdon's Novice 2, which only has one long run of 20 miles. but I plan on doing at least two long runs of 20. Since my goal is also just to finish, and I'm not concerned much with time, I've been advised by several runners that running a couple of 20 milers is adequate. So far my longest run has been right around 15 miles. I've been running for about 2.5 yrs now, although I am a bit older (41). Per the schedule I'm right on track with where I need to be (week 8 of 18) and it sounds like if you are following a novice type plan like Higdon's, then you are right where you need to be also if your goal is just to finish. If you had a particular time in mind, like a sub 4:00, then I'd agree that you are behind in your training. I see a few folks advising not to run a marathon at age 15. I don't have any advice one way or another on that, as I was never a runner at that age (not even that physically active) and haven't read up on anything regarding age and marathons. Although in the couple of half marathons that I have run (which had a marathon in conjunction with it), I did see quite a handful of teens in the marathon race. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. I agree that more info regarding your training would be helpful, such as have you run any races before, how many miles a week are you doing, are you following a plan, etc.

Tammy

Lisa3.1

Good Luck Modified to add: a shorter marathon is ok too.

The Thunder

Modified to add: a shorter marathon is ok too.
                      What's a shorter marathon? Is that like a Frank Shorter marathon?

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Lisa3.1

What's a shorter marathon? Is that like a Frank Shorter marathon?
                        half marathon

The Thunder

So....wouldn't that be a half marathon...and not a "shorter marathon"? That's like calling a 5k, a shorter 10k.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

JakeKnight

So....wouldn't that be a half marathon...and not a "shorter marathon"? That's like calling a 5k, a shorter 10k.
                            I prefer to think of a 5-k as a 'sprint ultramarathon.' Each to his own, I guess.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

I prefer to think of a 5-k as a 'sprint ultramarathon.' Each to his own, I guess.
                              Hah, I like that description. I'll have to use that.
                              racerunner1314

Mr. 1:43 1:41 Len up there is right. If you want some helpful advice, you'll need to cough up a lot more information. If you have a log here, just make it public, please. If not, let us know all the stuff Len asked. Also - what other races have you run? In what times? Do you run cross-country/track? Other sports? What mileage do you plan to peak at and/or how much time are you willing to invest? If you go out for a slow easy run, what pace are you running at? Which marathon? I was guessing Flying Pig, but you need to be 18 for that. There's a whole slew on 5/4. Which one?\ I am running the New Jersey Marathon and I also swim casually. I plan to peak at around 45 miles. I ran the Eenie-Meenie-Mynie Half Marathon on Feb 10 and finished in 2hrs 6 min and 15 sec. It was a really tough course. I plan to run the marathon at a 10 min pace or about a 10:30 marathon. I am willing to invest as much time as I can, which would be about 10-15 hours a week. Thanks for all your help.