So - what should the handicap be on this race... (Read 473 times)

Now that was a bath...

Won't be happening until I am running 10K without issue and back to proper training. I have a planned 'race' against one of our Playcenter's Dads as a fund raiser for the Center. Here's the stats. He's 26, has a history of being fit and playing sports but now spends most of his time drinking and staying up all night. Five years ago he could run 2.5 KM in 8 minutes. He no longer runs and has never been a distance runner. I'm 36, recovering from a running injury and only managing short distances currently. I have only ran distances as short as 2.5km in injury recovery so I have no idea how fast I could do that. I could do it easily in 9 minutes whilst injured. My best 5k was 24:36 but that was just a training run and not a race. Say I am recovered and his lazy arse doesn't train in the complacency that a Grandma couldn't beat him, should we handicap me as I am 10 years older and female - or should we run it pure and see what happens? Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Swadvad

Run it pure. You can take him! When you win, that makes victory that much sweeter, but if you lose, you have an excuse!
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It would be nice to race a longer distance. 2.5k is short enough that he might win, if he's willing to suffer enough. But in a 5k, or better yet 10k, you would destroy him. Big grin But anyway, yeah, I agree. No handicap.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Now that was a bath...

The race is a planned 10K. But I have told him if he keeps teasing me I may up it to 15!
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            You are going to kick some arse!! So I say PURE!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

PURE PURE!
              2009: BQ?