Black Toenails - Am I going to lose the nail? (Read 2073 times)

Burninated Peasant

So I guess it's a given that once you have black toenails, they would fall off.
    For what it's worth, I had a toenail go half black after last year's White Rock, and it never did fall off, it just eventually grew out.
    Chicago 26.2 07

I'm losing three after the Chicago Marathon, I saw a sign during the race that said "Toenails are for losers"! I thought you would enjoy it.
        Because of this thread, last night I had a really gross dream about toes. I didn't lose a toenail in the dream, but a flap of skin fell off and I reached down and pulled out a section of BONE from my toe joint.

Michelle

I've lost one too...Not just once, but TWICE...This time it hasn't grown back fully yet...It was never painful, just looked ugly as ****... My wife hated to look at it, ha ha ha.... Big grin
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
          GP160

I just changed my toenail polish last week and was very pleasantly surprised that my black toenail is almost grown out. I've had 2 for the majority of the summer and they never lifted or fell off, just grew out very slowly. Finally I can wear light pink or french manicure again! Yay! Big grin
            Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm a relatively new runner (one year), and I made the mistake of hiking up and down a big mountain with three women who are amazing athletes. Wow, they hauled! On the way down, I was trying as hard as I could to keep up with them, and my toes kept jamming into the bottom of my hiking boots. Both my big toenails turned completely black. That was in the middle of September, and two months later, one of them has returned to normal and the other one is still black. So maybe I will lose one and not the other! Very weird. I will have to make a note to myself not to hike with super athletes! Back to my 11-minute miles, thank you!

Imminent Catastrophe

(this thread is useless without pictures)
                That's just asking for trouble. BTW you should see "Running on the Sun""--not only a great running-themed movie, but one ultrarunner (Marshall Ulrich, IIRC) has actually had his toenails surgically removed. Problem solved. It also stops him from scratching up the furniture Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

but one ultrarunner (Marshall Ulrich, IIRC) has actually had his toenails surgically removed.
                  Eeeeeewwwwwwww.......... Tight lipped Tight lipped Tight lipped
                  "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                  MSZ1

In all of the posts I didn't see anybody suggesting how to prevent the dreaded black toenail! I used to get them (small toenails) - yes they do fall off. I simply purchased larger shoes (increased size by 1/2 to 1 full size, depending on shoe) & voila - no more gnarly black shoes.
                    Onward & Upward!
                      I currently do not have any balck toenails but when I do I go to see Dr. Bernstein in Yonkers. Suggest you see a podiatrist.
                      I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                        I got them on my big toes while playing basketball because I hadn't clipped them in a while. Maybe others can tell you if I'm right or not, but I think just keeping them trimmed will minimize the blackening. Oh, and my left big toenail just fell off a few days ago. Just left it alone and there was another nail underneath. Smile
                        jdmcgregor

All business

An RA favorite: the toenail necklace

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

WTF? WTF? I'm going to lose toe nails? Why?
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, my left big toe nail is now hanging by an edge, but the right big toe nail is still just black. It's been over 3 1/2 months! This sucks. Angry
                                WTF? WTF? I'm going to lose toe nails? Why?
                                Most of the time the toenail separates from the skin underneath, this happens because it was pulled apart, try lifting your nail off your finger you can't because it is attached to the skin. Once it separates it's dead the skin underneath bleeds, bruises, turns black. A new nail grows after about a month the new nail pushes off the old nail.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius