POLL --- Do you use a heart-rate monitor in your RUN training? (Read 386 times)

I used the heart rate monitor that came with my Garmin for about a week when I first got my watch over a year ago.  After about a week, I was pretty much finished with it, and have not had the urge to revisit it.

Same here. It kept slipping so you couldn't tell if the numbers were accurate or not, and I got tired of readjusting it every three minutes. I guess I just also felt like there is such a thing as too much data.

Never worn one, don't see a need.

Runners run

DDXD

Slower than I look

As a new runner, I really felt like having the HR monitor helped me to truly understand what an easy pace is.  Before using it, I was simply running my training runs far too fast for my fitness level.  It was a bit of a crutch but I would say now, after a few months, I run mostly by perceived effort.  The thing is though that I can usually tell what my HR is within 5 or so beats now without even looking at my watch.  I still use it for after anlysis as well.  The HR strap does not bother me so I don't really see the downside to wearing it.  Still learning though so who knows what I'll do in a year or so.

Mr MattM

It's a tool.  Like all tools, it can be used properly or improperly.

Example of proper use:

Runner does a 10 mile run in 80 mins @ an average HR of 152...

8 weeks later runner does the same 10 mile run in 75 mins @ an average HR of 152

Why is this 'proper'?  The HR monitor has provided an objective measure of a base improvement in fitness.

Example of improper use:

Runner determines his/her MaxHR based on 220 - age and sets training HR ranges based on that number.

Why is this 'improper'?  Because the formula-based MaxHR rules are an average of a population... there is a wide variance in individual MaxHR values so using that to set training ranges can be very inefficient.

It's also important to understand that many variables effect HR... heat, hills, humidity, hydration... and even underlying health.  The only time I would use HR as a guide DURING a training run is if I were doing something akin to my example, resetting a fitness baseline for future training.

be curious; not judgmental

Not quite right

I use and always have but don't use it for training. I figure one day the info will be useful and it is nice to see my improvement. I don't feel it is necessary  and if it bothered me while wearing it I would not. Like Matt said it's just a tool same with foot pod use it but don't live by it.

Used one for bought a year, then discovered it was trivial and faddists.

Too much info; common sense makes more sense.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

No more marathons

Used one for bought a year, then discovered it was trivial and faddists.

Too much info; common sense makes more sense.

wow - did you intend to be that condescending or did it just come out that way?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

So I wear it all the time now and like to see that my perceived effort does indeed match what I am seeing on my watch and graphs later on. I think in a way, it reminds me to run each workout in the correct pacing zone(Pfitz), if my HR goes above a certain number, then I am working too hard and not getting the benefit of the recovery run. Or say, I am feeling good and my pace should be 7:30mm according to my calculations for an interval but yet my HR no longer says this is challenging, so not running the hard run hard enough.

I guess I see it as another check and balance to the vague idea of running by feel. They are related but can be influenced by different things independently. I can see that I am progressing instead of feeling I am and then questioning that feeling. Sometimes we overthink training. The numbers let me relax about my progress. I see it. It is there in raw data.

This ^

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Never used one, don't plan to get one. Prefer to run by feel.

RunnerGalBeth

I wear mine on every run and am not bothered by it.  Recently started using the data MAF style to improve my training and eventually increase my speed without feeling beat up.

nope. I only trust how my legs feel.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Never worn one, don't see a need.

I'm ahead of you. I've worn one. Twice even. First time couldn't get it to read. Second time got 200 something when I was starting out.

Decided I didn't want to know how running was giving me a heart attack, and lost the strap shortly thereafter.

Maybe I'd be on the cusp of breaking 17 if I'd figured out the HRM and stayed with it. (Personally I doubt it.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Elly.

I wear one. A few months ago I noticed that my heartrate was spiking throughout my ruN.  I mentioned this to my Doc, and she ordered an echocardiogram.  Then she sent me to a cardiologist.  The cardiologist put me on BP meds. But, now, I know I have a heart condition my father had.  It's not going away, but at least I know that it is not from slacking, and that goofy tightness in my chest is not indigestion.  I know not to go so hard.  I LOVE my heartrate monitor, it is my coach.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

J-L-C

Example of proper use:

8 weeks later runner does the same 10 mile run in 75 mins @ an average HR of 152

Why is this 'proper'?  The HR monitor has provided an objective measure of a base improvement in fitness.

But that's not using it for training. That's just feedback and analysis that can just as easily be determined with time, pace, or effort.

So I don't think that's really "proper use" of a hrm.

You could just as easily use a race or time trial (or even a workout) in the same way:

"5k race in 20 mins, 8 weeks later, 5k race in 19 mins."

The race has provided an objective measure of a base improvement in fitness.

Example of proper use:

Is that on a treadmill so the environment is constant? Otherwise it has all the issues of the "improper" use you showed except for the age-based zones.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog