POLL --- Do you use a heart-rate monitor in your RUN training? (Read 386 times)

Zam

Very occasional easy leg turnover.

hectortrojan

I started using it during every run when I bought it a little over a year ago. I do not use it all the time now. I use it for the workouts that I intentionally want to run in a particular HR range

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I have been using a Mio Link lately. It is worn on your wrist, which is way more convenient. I like to check out the data, especially from races, but races are when I really did not want to wear a chest strap. Also, when it is a cold day and the chest strap is not all the way dried out from the last time you wore it made it rather unappealing.

http://www.mioglobal.com/Mio-LINK-Heart-Rate-Band-Grey/product.aspx?productid=14&deptid=1&pricecat=2&gclid=CMrNn9a_mr4CFepAMgodHxEAbw

npaden

I have been using a Mio Link lately. It is worn on your wrist, which is way more convenient. I like to check out the data, especially from races, but races are when I really did not want to wear a chest strap. Also, when it is a cold day and the chest strap is not all the way dried out from the last time you wore it made it rather unappealing.

http://www.mioglobal.com/Mio-LINK-Heart-Rate-Band-Grey/product.aspx?productid=14&deptid=1&pricecat=2&gclid=CMrNn9a_mr4CFepAMgodHxEAbw

I'm ready for a new watch that will do the GPS and the HRM and bluetooth audio as well as be a phone!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

RunpowerMax

I'm ready for a new watch that will do the GPS and the HRM and bluetooth audio as well as be a phone!

The TomTom Cardio had everything except a phone

The sufferer

Occasions when I use my HRM:

• On longer runs, it allows me to gauge how much I have left in the tank. Heart rate steadily increases as the run progresses and it helps to know when to take a short break or to reduce pace.
              • When I don't feel 100%, so that I run based on HR rather than usual pace.
              • On race day, I know what HR I can sustain over a certain distance, it really helps with pacing early on.

I used to get erratic readings with HRM for first 5 minutes of a run, particulary when wearing more than one layer in colder months (in UK), but now I always use a pea-sized blob of electrode gel on the HRM strap and haven't had problems with accuracy since.

HRM is a great training aid for me.

bap

I can't find my strap. Anyway, I don't really need it any more. If I'm out if breath during an easy run then I'm probably running too fast.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013