My Shoes are Ugly. (Read 1135 times)

xor

What is a hoka pic?

Treating this like a real question, just in case.

The shoe that cgerber posted, which Beastie re-posted is called the "Hoka".  It is a trail shoe.

From the picture it looks like a platform shoe from the 70s.  It does indeed have that giant sole.  What you can't really see from the pic is that the sole flares out a bit, perhaps to prevent you from rolling your ankles in the shoes.

They are freaky.

mikeymike

Those are trail shoes??

I thought they were Sketchers Shape-Ups.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

What you can't really see from the pic is that the sole flares out a bit, perhaps to prevent you from rolling your ankles in the shoes.

And also to ensure that if you did, you would snap that baby right in two.

xor

Those are trail shoes??

I thought they were Sketchers Shape-Ups.

Yes... and that seems to be the common comment :-)

"Running in Shapeups today are we, Joe?"

At the bad ass 50k I ran in Waco a couple weekends ago (it was called "Toughest N Texas", so no surprise), at least three runners were in the hokas.  I only noticed one in vibrams.

Which leads to the question... many barefoot/vibram-y runners call themselves "barefoot <name>".  Do the Hoka runners call themselves something? And if so, what?

Which leads to the question... many barefoot/vibram-y runners call themselves "barefoot <name>".  Do the Hoka runners call themselves something? And if so, what?

My friends call me Shrek when I wear them.

xor

My friends call me Shrek when I wear them.

Just threaten to grind their bones to make your bread.

And then, take off your glasses.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What you can't really see from the pic is that the sole flares out a bit, perhaps to prevent you from rolling your ankles in the shoes.

They are freaky.

And HEAVY...and they don't flex...at all.  People really wear them?  Why?  I can't imagine that they are comfy.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

And HEAVY...and they don't flex...at all.  People really wear them?  Why?  I can't imagine that they are comfy.

They are actually very light.  11oz a pair.  They are also very comfy.

I bought them because I need a big well-padded shoe that kept my big toe up out of the way of rocks, to protect a lingering injury.  That was a couple months ago, now it's healed, and I still wear them out of choice.  Why?   Because I can put my mind on autopilot on a rocky trail and just fly.. really FLY... they just soak up all the crap.    Because my legs are significantly less sore after a ultra distance runs.  Because I can't find a compelling reason not to wear them yet.   Because I like being 6' 5" Wink

And I'm am minimalist shoe person, normally.  Usually run in the mid-weight Inov-8s (285-315 gram range) or NB MT100s, with a day or two a week in Vibram FiveFingers.

xor

Boing! Boing! Boing!

Jimmy's sweet on Elaine.

So mikeymike is gay because he likes pink.

Dude, it doesn't work that way.  Heh.

But in this terminology, I am super duper "gay".  The leader of the pink pack!

Would you like a hug BCR?  You got on me because you didn't like my language in one of your threads.  I'd love to give you a hug.

Like a Big John Studd reverse bear hug? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Noosa in the wild, or "Monet barfed on your shoes."

You can find the 'men's' one, rather one on the right, on my foot. I love it.

It really isn't ugly at all once your eyes get used to seeing them. They weigh 10.7oz and breath really well.

Following "The Peter Cetera Law":

'hipster' girls at the gym love em, ergo I love em.'

Think Whirled Peas

I always hated the tuck rule.

Wild Bill disagrees.  And the dude from "The Crying Game."

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

xor

It really isn't ugly at all once your eyes get used to seeing them.

Yeah.  It kind of is.  Heh.

But it's also kind of cool and if you don't think your shoes are ugly, that's really all that matters (unless you are trying to impress someone.  In which case... Monet. Threw up on your feet.)

Worlds Ugliest shoes

Worlds Ugliest Shoes

Goals For 2011:

sub 2:30 800m

Sub 6:00 Mile (PR 5:34)

Sub 20:00 5k

250 Mile Club

xor

I wonder where I've seen that shoe before.