Rage Against the Machine(s) (Read 324 times)

Better I Leave

Whereas I can see the merit in this, most of my clientele are elderly and/or have physical disabilities. I doubt many of my clients will ever be climbing rope ladders, flipping tires, etc. I'll keep them on their machines. At  least the article did state that machines aren't obsolete.

Revenge of the Nerd

There's still a place for machines - as PGD said - particularly from a safety standpoint.  I let my gym membership lapse last year because I found myself gravitating toward the medicine ball and away from the machines.  I can do the med. ball routine at home.

A climbing gym opened recently in our area.  I want to see if I can get a visitor's pass and check it out.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Chantilly75

There's still a place for machines - as PGD said - particularly from a safety standpoint.  

+1

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Runslowalksalot

Funny, I just finished the cross fit thread that echoed my own experience that no one in a  Gym makes fun of someone who's tryin  to better themselves, but the last line in this article does just this.   At the Gold 's I go to there is a good mix of equipment catering to a wide variety of people with many different fitness levels and  goals.  No on  there ever snickers or makes "better than you" comments to or about anyone else.   Not me when I fell off of the bosu ball while working  out a nerve injury in my ankle(no one batted an eye) or even that guy who only does fast mini-reps on every piece of equipment and intentionally arches his back massively up and down while doing  flat bench presses, and only moving the bar inches at a time.  However I did think that he's gonna hurt himself if he keeps it up.  But hey, he's there most days when I go an  hasn't hurt himself yet, so if it works for him....

Anyways.....  this looks like  just another article that says "my way is better that yours"  not unlike elitists in  any other sport.   These people are invariably the same, they have some experience, enough to be proficient, but not nearly as good as they think they are.

pedaling fool

I agree that there is a place for weight machines, even ellipticals (which I despise) and I also agree with not being overly critical in individual's attempts' at getting in shape; I also found the last sentence a little over the top.

However, it can't be ignored that weight machines don't translate to real-world condtions and thus many significant parts of the muscular/skeletal system are NOT adequately exercised if you use weight machines exclusively.

And ellipticals are all about selling us on the notion that high-impact is to be avoided at all costs. The myth of running being bad for your joints, especially knees, I believe is mostly a result of the fitness industry with all their "high-tech" machines.

And ellipticals are all about selling us on the notion that high-impact is to be avoided at all costs. The myth of running being bad for your joints, especially knees, I believe is mostly a result of the fitness industry with all their "high-tech" machines.

I agree with this. No one has ever had a knee injury due to running.

Dave

running > all else

Nice article. I use both, moreso free weights, as I'm working a strong lifts program. I wouldn't rely solely on machines for weight training, but they do have their place, like another poster mentioned. lol at flipping tires. That sounds like fun! Big grin

Andy X

Nice article. I use both, moreso free weights, as I'm working a strong lifts program. I wouldn't rely solely on machines for weight training, but they do have their place, like another poster mentioned. lol at flipping tires. That sounds like fun! Big grin

Last week I ran past a group of ladies at a local Bootcamp workout struggling to flip large tyres outside in a very wet & extremely muddy field, didn't look much fun to me! Smile

Why is it sideways?

Just run, baby!