My Very First Time (Read 836 times)

Today I ran 17 miles for the first time ever, but that's not what this thread is about. As I was running the last 100 meters, I heard someone shout the line that all runners dream about hearing. I was running down the main road and I made the left turn towards the picnic bench that was going to be my finish line. As I start my "long run kick" towards the bench I hear a faint voice over my shoulder. It took a second, but I was able to make out someone shouting "Run, Forrest!" from the driveway I had passed. I looked back to thank them graciously for this, but they just laughed uproariously, and shouted "Run, Forrest!" again. I'm pretty excited about this, because now I can proudly raise my hand and exclaim "Yes!" when asked if anyone has ever said this to me. I thought hearing "Faggot!" the other day was the pinnacle, but then I heard this and couldn't stop smiling. Is anyone else a member of this club? Do we have a secret handshake or cool costumes? When do I get my certificate?
      Well congrats on it being your first "Run, Forest!" and big kudos on running 17 miles. But....There is no handshake, costume or certificate. I guess its cool hearing it for the first time but trust me it gets very annoying after awhile. I can't even recall the first time I heard it but it was probably 6 or more years ago. If you want to hear more "Run, Forrest!" run through a college campus. My guess is you will probably hear more vulgar comments than "Run, Forrest!"

A Saucy Wench

*chuckle* dh has a habit of saying this not to runners, but to the kids when they start running around like crazy and to urge them on if we are running for play. So now my dd (4 ) will yell that out at kids at the playground. "Run, forrest, run!" It gets odd looks from other parents.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

. My guess is you will probably hear more vulgar comments than "Run, Forrest!"
          When someone makes vuglar comments I now put my hand up to my ears has if I did not hear them so they will say it louder and continue to shout for as many times as possible. It really makes my day! Cool

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ironically, I also ran 17 miles today and got the "Run, Forrest, Run" comment. Also a creepy guy grabbed my ass, to which I responded with a few choice expletives. Congratulations on your first time doing 17 miles, though - that's a big accomplishment!
              The only time I have heard "Run Forrest, Run!" was by some punk kids who were just drinking beer on the side of the road one evening. I about scared the piss out of them when I stopped and went up to the window of the car and asked who said it so that I could kick their ass. I am not really a bad ass, but friends tell me that the bald head, tattoos and earrings make me look that way. They were obviously shocked and I doubt they will try to intimidate anyone else now........ Smile That is totally NOT like me......I don't know what made me snap, but I was pissed and had the cajones to say something that time.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I haven't heard "run, Forrest, run," but I also ran 17 miles and about 2 miles in I met a 70-something woman on her bike who yelled "you go, girl!" Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I was just amused today because I have heard runners talking about people yelling this particular phrase, but I was beginning to think it was just a joke that never actually happened. For four years all my running involved a college campus, and the only people who have ever said anything to me were those in vehicles as they passed, and it happened rarely. It's never been words, either, just whistling and wordless shouting. But in the past week and a half this changed and it made me laugh. Chopper, if you threatened to kick my ass I'd be scared too. Oh, and thanks to all for the kudos, that's very kind.
                    shoot. Here in Eugene you can't throw a rock without hitting a runner. Nobody ever yells anything at me. Cry
                      Ah, welcome to the club. I never thought of it as a badge of honor, but I suppose it is in a way. Congrats! Good job on the 17 too

-------------------------------------
                      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Ringmaster

Big grin Congrats on the 17! My hubby is trying to convince me to run a 5-mile race on this crazy mountain road where they filmed one scene of Forrest running. I say, there's a reason they call the race The Bear. No, he will probably not get a chance to call out "Run, Forrest, run!" to me on that crazy mountain.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile