Atlanta metro half marathon prices comparison (Read 91 times)

BeeRunB

A followup up to some recent discussion about race prices. I've been looking for an Atlanta metro area half-marathon to run and these are the prices I've found for November-December races, if I were to register this week (with last minute registration in parentheses):

November

—Roswell Area 13.1  $65 (75$ and $80 post-registration--wow, post registration!)

—Atlanta Half Marathon $70 ($85, and $95 at Expo)

December

—Jeff Galloway Half Marathon (inaugural) $99 ($115 and $130 at Expo)

To compare to my favorite half marathon, the New Bedford Half Marathon in March (great food as well): $50 through Dec31 ($70.00)

Other Southern New England races (comparable area to Atlanta):

October:

Fall River Half $55.00 through Oct 5th ($70 post)

November:

Colt State Park Half: $55 ($65 and $70 post)

Cost of living is higher up in New England, yet prices are still decent. Atlanta area is trending high.

runlikeagirI

Here's another option for you - probably the most-PR friendly course you'll find during that timeframe and doughnuts that will rock your world right around the corner.  They're open on Thanksgiving, too!!

Tryptophan half marathon

best.doughnuts.ever.

PS - registration for this year doesn't appear to be open yet, but this was the fee schedule for last year.

ENTRY FEES / REGISTRATION
      - half marathon - $55 until 9/08, $65 9/08 until 10/26, $75 after 10/26.

BeeRunB

Thanks. Good prices. Have you run it?

Those doughnuts look worthy of a trip on some future day of decadence (just 30 minutes up 85). 

Here's another option for you - probably the most-PR friendly course you'll find during that timeframe and doughnuts that will rock your world right around the corner.  They're open on Thanksgiving, too!!

Tryptophan half marathon

best.doughnuts.ever.

PS - registration for this year doesn't appear to be open yet, but this was the fee schedule for last year.

xhristopher

Small data set. I don't think I would have a problem pointing you to a couple more expensive New England halfs and a couple less expensive GA halfs.

New Bedford/Fall River is to Boston as Athens/Macon are to Atlanta --- not necessarily in the immediate metro area.

I think the Wilmington, MA half is about $25, Baystate is about or under $75 but Run to Remember and the "13.1 Boston" are over $100. I believe shutting down major city streets can get expensive.

BeeRunB

You're right , it is a small set for sure. Wasn't going for a big scientific study. My point of posting was to show the spread and that relatively cheap ones can still be found. Then I got nostalgic for New England, which is always easy for me.

$65.00 in Atlanta is cheap compared to the $100 ones that come through. New Bedford is a city marathon with lots of crossings, but have always kept the price down. Galloway's is mostly in a park, while the Atlanta one uses more streets and Turner Field (and its cheaper than Galloway's).  So why the high price for Galloway's?

Since moving to Atlanta, there has been some sticker shock as compared to New England. I can find cheap races in Georgia, but many are quite a drive (if I can avoid driving 2+ hours, or a motel, I will). Some are close, like the one in Roswell or the one in Cumming that runlikeagirl listed.

Wilmington, Baystate (Lowell), and Boston were all about an hour from Cumberland, RI, where I lived. The Boston Marathon start was just 30 minutes away; my wife dropped me off in Hopkinton when I ran it. Shopping cheaper races within an easy drive  up there was like butter—even Cape Cod wasn't too far.  Strange when you move to a large state, perceptions of distance all get discombobulated when looking at maps: "Oh, there's a race in Savannah (damn, 5 hours away)."

Small data set. I don't think I would have a problem pointing you to a couple more expensive New England halfs and a couple less expensive GA halfs.

New Bedford/Fall River is to Boston as Athens/Macon are to Atlanta --- not necessarily in the immediate metro area.

I think the Wilmington, MA half is about $25, Baystate is about or under $75 but Run to Remember and the "13.1 Boston" are over $100. I believe shutting down major city streets can get expensive.

Tim_Easterday

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Helen Holiday Half Marathon   (if the OP is willing to drive up to a prettier part of GA). Only $50!

Tryptophan half marathon

best.doughnuts.ever.

BeeRunB

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Helen Holiday Half Marathon   (if the OP is willing to drive up to a prettier part of GA). Only $50!

I did see that one, and the reason I left it out was it's not in the metro. If I remember correctly, it took almost two hours to get there from where I live. Weird place. A faux-German looking town with lots of bikers. I liked it. Goats On The Roof was completely bizarre!

runlikeagirI

I didn't mention it because it's really not quite a half, even though he calls it that..LOL.  What was it I had on my upload from last year, 11.5?? That's more than just not great watch reception on trails.  But I loved it enough to sign up again this year!

runlikeagirI

I have run the Tryptophan race, it was my first sub-2 half so it holds a bit of a special place for me.  I ran it in 2012, did not run it last year because I ended up getting free entry to the one in Atlanta on Thanksgiving day.  I may go back to Cumming this year.  It's not the most scenic route: you basically start in a strip mall parking lot, do a bit of a curlique to get out to the main road, then do 6+ miles out and back.  Good in that it doesn't have a lot of turns to pick up extra mileage, easy for spectators to see you multiple times but also plenty of businesses around to hang out at if they don't feel like standing around.

Thanks. Good prices. Have you run it?

Those doughnuts look worthy of a trip on some future day of decadence (just 30 minutes up 85). 

runlikeagirI

If you like Helen and you want to give yourself a real challange, sign up for this bad boy - http://www.runthehogpen.org/ .

I did see that one, and the reason I left it out was it's not in the metro. If I remember correctly, it took almost two hours to get there from where I live. Weird place. A faux-German looking town with lots of bikers. I liked it. Goats On The Roof was completely bizarre!

Tim_Easterday

Those doughnuts are the greatest thing on Earth! Just 15 minutes away from my house, it's a wonder we aren't there every weekend!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Silver Comet Half (last weekend in October) if you want to stretch a little

Currently $70 ($90 for the full)

A little far North to to be Atlanta Metro, but Chickamauga is currently $80

And for balance a little far South, Soldier Half is currently $70 (or $45 if Military)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18