Time on feet is the key? (Read 875 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am still doing my maffetone training steadily increaing the miles and all is going well. I have a little more time on my hands at the moment and so I really want to clock up quite a lot of miles. At the moment I am averaging about 40mpw. I am going to ramp it up, albeit at a safe and steady increment. I am really wanting to get my base to the best it potentially can be before moving into other areas. How many miles would be a good amount? 5,,60,100? I am going to be getting up early before work to get in the extra mileage. Of course I will listen to my body, and only increase if I feel I can handle it, but as all will be ran under MAF I should be fine. Would like your input guys

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

milkbaby

Everybody is different, so your mileage may vary... Anyhow, there is a small consensus that if you can work up to 10 to 15 hours of running in a week, that is "enough" for most people. Some people run more, some people run less, but I think for the majority of recreational runners, it is often hard to run more than 10 to 15 hours a week. A lot of people start to break down when they go much over that, and a lot of people who haven't worked up to that amount of running will break down prior to reaching that level, so take your time building up to it. Another way to think about it is that all things in your life should be in balance. So when your running starts to take away too much from the other things in your life, then you've reached your current limit. Our personal situations also tend to be fluid and changing, so our training should also reflect that in that when you have more time, you can train more, but when you have less time, don't be afraid to cut back. Good luck!
      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Slow-smooth-fast

Everybody is different, so your mileage may vary... Anyhow, there is a small consensus that if you can work up to 10 to 15 hours of running in a week, that is "enough" for most people. Some people run more, some people run less, but I think for the majority of recreational runners, it is often hard to run more than 10 to 15 hours a week. A lot of people start to break down when they go much over that, and a lot of people who haven't worked up to that amount of running will break down prior to reaching that level, so take your time building up to it. Another way to think about it is that all things in your life should be in balance. So when your running starts to take away too much from the other things in your life, then you've reached your current limit. Our personal situations also tend to be fluid and changing, so our training should also reflect that in that when you have more time, you can train more, but when you have less time, don't be afraid to cut back. Good luck!
        Thanks foe the response. I am actually going for time on feet now as opposed to distance. 10 is quite a lot for me to fit in but achievable. If I do 10 hours of runnung easy a week I acheive about 75 miles. I am going to build up to this however. This week will be a 60 miler, then plus 5 etc. I am just wondering if my body would be able to sustain 75 mpw, I personally think that is quite a lot of miles, particularly as I plan to have a rest day. Long run 15-20miles, so the other days need to be on average - 11-12 miles. Quite alot, but I will see how it goes.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

sluggo

John

10 to 15 mi/wk! I thought I was doing great to get in 30 mi/wk (about 5 hrs)... Doubling or tripling my current running is not in my picture!

John
          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

protoplasm72

You have to be careful when running that kind of mileage. Most people don't do it for long cause week after week of 75 miles is hard on the body. Personally I run a max of 55-60 and cross train the extra hours I have available. I run before work and then go to the gym after work and swim or weight lift. Even with my mileage I drop into the upper 40's ever other week to keep from breaking down. Additional training does no good if it injures you. To get above 60 miles per week I'd probably run doubles a few days a week to keep from going over 10 miles on every run.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Thanks foe the response. I am actually going for time on feet now as opposed to distance. 10 is quite a lot for me to fit in but achievable. If I do 10 hours of runnung easy a week I acheive about 75 miles. I am going to build up to this however.....
              Depending upon how far along you are and what your body tolerates, you might consider building partway, then plateauing to allow your body to adapt then building again. If 10 hr/wk gives you 75 mpw, I'll assume you're running about 5.3 hr/wk now (about where I was 2 yr ago). I'm older and slower, not doing Maffetone, and not using 7-day weeks, but some peak 7-day periods last year were about 12+ hrs, iirc, alternating with about 6-8 hrs (depending how the 2 on / 1 off and long runs split across 7-day boundaries). I struggled with it last year, but had a running goal for my 60th bd. This year I swore I wouldn't worry about volume as much and try to get some more quality in. This year, after being on that frequency of running (and lower volume during recovery / rebuild) for about 1.5 yrs, I discovered I could handle the volume more easily and still add quality, although snow conditions were different this year. Note: for me, quality is hills of various flavors with occasional work in sub-LT zone.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Hawt and sexy

I guess I capped out at about 15 hours a week. But I had time to burn back then.

I'm touching your pants.