Dangerous games (Read 738 times)

Ok, confession time folks. I know I'm not the only moron out there that plays stupid games with themselves that can sometimes result in injury & mental dehydration!! I'm not talking stupid stuff like seen on the tv show, "Jackass", I'm talking mental running games. For example, this week I ran a nice 5mi that I could easily post for my virtual race time. Then on Sat, zoom-zoom & I did a 10mi long run together. Instead of taking my earlier weeks time, I just had to go out lastnight to see if I could beat it instead of taking my post-long run day off...and I hurt myself. Or, when I decide to be smart & run for X minutes, instead of X miles, I still calculate my mileage as I run & push myself to run more miles in that time. Defeats the purpose, right? I decide to make it around 2 blocks instead of one and a half blocks during my X minutes. (Note: as the name denotes, I run backroads. My "blocks" are 4miles around, as opposed to the city slicker version of a block!) The crossroads are divided at either 1/2 mile or 1 mile intervals, so it is all to easy to calculate as you run. Or, my worst game, I ask my husband to run with me & force myself to keep up with him. I tell myself it is my speed training, but really it is like the kiss of death! It pisses me off, the man runs once a month & still kicks my butt!!!! So, spill it...what are your games? I could divulge more of my stupidity, but I'd rather you all put your $0.02 in so I don't feel so alone in my dumbness! Blush Still hobbling from yesterday's game, Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...running with you is my dangerous game. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, spill it...what are your games?
        I have discovered that I seem to have a bad physiologic trait. I cannot seem to get injured. Lord knows I keep trying. Nada. I ran two marathons in 7 days. I ran Pikes Peak and then did an 18 miler 13 days later, followed by a 5k and a 10k after that. Just as loose and pain free as could be. I keep trying to push myself to see how much I can get away with. It is madness!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eryn, do you want to hold Trent down so the rest of us can injure him, or should I? Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pretty sure that if he can run Pikes Peak, running w/ my husband isn't going to hurt him!! All right, on the count of 100, we can hop in the car to catch up with Trent on foot...then I'll jump out the window & tackle him. Wait until I get out of the way before you run over his toes though! Evil grin Big grin
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which car should we take? Your Jeep would likely do more damage than my Mazda. Or wait, how 'bout one of Dan's big trucks? Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

scrumhalfgirl

I ran with my husband for the first time yesterday, and I share your pain! He hasn't done any serious running since the winter, and he gave me quite the workout! We did 2.5 K out at his pace, and 2.5 K back at my (somewhat tired) pace - in the end, my overall 5K time was the best I've done so far, so I guess it was worthwhile. Plus, it was a nice treat to run with someone else.

-Jess

Unfortunatly this time around with my training I'm having problems with anxiety ( never had problems before running my first marathon) so no dangerous games for me. I'm too busy trying to relax so that I can enjoy my run.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson