Interesting Diet (Read 1257 times)

The Greatest of All Time

http://mattfitzgerald.org/blog/?p=6 I have some commonality with this guy. I went through a fat phase too. And I lost the fat when I returned to running but I also dieted down pretty hard. When training for the Ironman I was always hungry. I never counted calories and I rarely weighed myself. In law school I was very ill for almost two years and got fat again. Once again I found my way back into athletics and lost the weight, but again I dieted down. I have been as heavy as 210. These days I am a calorie counter and I weigh myself everyday. Guilty as charged. But my metabolism along with food and exercise has brought my body to what I think is my "in shape" weight. 170 pounds. I think I am gentically pre-set. Why do I say this? On January 10 I had my body fat measured. I was 167 lbs and my body fat was 8.6%. Since then I have been running a lot of miles, lifting 2x a week, etc. Depedning on which formula is used, my daily caloric requirement with NO exercise is about 2000. If you throw 90 minutes or more of running on top of this, it could go as high as 3500 depending on effort. On any given day, I only consume about 2500 calories. You would think I would lose weight due to the caloric deficit. Not me. Yesterday I had my body fat rechecked. I weighed 170 but body fat decresed to 7.2%. I gained weight eating 2500 calories a day and running 50+ miles a week. On top of that my diet is squeeky clean. My metabolism has to be on autopilot right now. In 1999 when I did the Ironman I weighed about 170 lbs. The least I have weighed as an adult was 158 when I graduated from basic training (I was barely 18). According to BMI charts I am bordering on being overweight for my height, so don't buy into that measurement if you're an athlete, which everyone on this board is. So what's my point? I think we all have a genetic set point where our weight will level out when we are in shape and eating right. When you find yours, you can stop chasing it and just maintain it. But this guy's blog makes me wonder how many calories a day I could get away with eating and not get fatter based on my acitivity level. Only I don't really have a desire to pig out. I eat when I am hungry and small portions at that. Although there is this rustic BBQ joint in Driftwood Texas called The Saltlick that serves the best meat on the planet and I could eat there until I explode!
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marcus, you keep making me homesick!! Stop that! Wink

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, you keep making me homesick!! Stop that! Wink
        I see someone here knows about the Salt Lick. It's worth the trip to Austin just to go out there an eat. Nevermind going to a Longhorn's football game. Just bring on the brisquet. I can't find proper brisquet anywhere up here Sad

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I see someone here knows about the Salt Lick.
          Scout's mom knows all about the salt lick.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Scout's mom knows all about the salt lick.
            Ok, I am relatively new so can someone let me in on the Scout's mom jokes?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, I am relatively new so can someone let me in on the Scout's mom jokes?
              Ask your mom. I told her all about it last night. Tongue It all started on this thread, 7th post down. Ever since then, it's been an ever-escalating arms race, with no apparent end in sight.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Ask your mom. I told her all about it last night. Tongue It all started on this thread, 7th post down. Ever since then, it's been an ever-escalating arms race, with no apparent end in sight.
                I don't know how I missed that when it came around. But I am not surprised to know that you were the genesis of it Wink I haven't told your momma jokes, since...8th grade maybe. That was a good way to get your a$$ kicked in the neighborhood I grew up in.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I haven't told your momma jokes, since...8th grade maybe. That was a good way to get your a$$ kicked in the neighborhood I grew up in.
                  Technically, I think of "your momma" jokes as being slightly different from, but related to, the "your mom" jokes going on here. "Your momma" jokes are usually of the form: "Your momma is so [ugly, fat, stupid, etc.]... whereas "your mom" jokes typically imply carnal knowledge of Scout's mom.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But this guy's blog makes me wonder how many calories a day I could get away with eating and not get fatter based on my acitivity level. Only I don't really have a desire to pig out. I eat when I am hungry and small portions at that.
                    Marcus, to actually address your original post, this calculator does a good job of weight loss / caloric intake calculations including running.

The Greatest of All Time

Technically, I think of "your momma" jokes as being slightly different from, but related to, the "your mom" jokes going on here. "Your momma" jokes are usually of the form: "Your momma is so [ugly, fat, stupid, etc.]... whereas "your mom" jokes typically imply carnal knowledge of Scout's mom.
                      Ooh...so jokes like "your momma's so fat when she wears a red dress kids yell "Hey Kool-Aid" are different from Scout's mom jokes? Jeff, your wife is Asian, correct?

The Greatest of All Time

Marcus, to actually address your original post, this calculator does a good job of weight loss / caloric intake calculations including running.
                        When I plug my numbers in there it calculates my daily needs with no exercise to be about 2100 cals. Just for fun I put in that I run 8.5 hours a week at a pace of 8.0 mph and wanted to lose 1 pound per week. It calculated that I could eat 2750 calories a day and lose one pound a week. So, as you can see when it comes to my body, etc you can throw that out the window.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, your wife is Asian, correct?
                          Yes. (Was freaked out for a second until I remembered what my ever-rotating profile pic is).

The Greatest of All Time

Yes. (Was freaked out for a second until I remembered what my ever-rotating profile pic is).
                            Which Asian country? My wife is Japanese BTW.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Which Asian country? My wife is Japanese BTW.
                              Chinese (born and raised in Tennessee!)

The Greatest of All Time

Chinese (born and raised in Tennessee!)
                                Mine was born in Japan but moved to the Chicago area when she was 2. Her parents are the only members of her family that are in the US. They all still speak Japanese, eat Japanese food, watch Japanese TV, read Japanese magazines, etc. My wife had to go to Japanese school every Saturday through high school and what a drag that had to have been. She always told me she looks out of place in Japan and I didn't believe her until we went there over Christmas. She sticks out like a sore thumb. She's way too American, sorority girl and all that.