So, now what? (Read 1040 times)

Moondog

I "was" on the C25K program. I'm in week 5 and ended up running 3.30 miles today. That's supposed to be like week 9 of the program. I am the most impatient person in the world and was EXTREMELY patient for 5+ weeks following the program very closely. Today, I just felt like I was ready to let loose an push myself a little. I didn't kill myself, and when I felt a little winded I slowed down a tick or two. Only thing is that the last mile or so my legs got a little sore. Not one spot but my achilles ached a bit, shins, knees. It wasn't "pain" but I guess my legs were sending a message. So my questions.... 1) I'm taking the next 2 days off. Is that enough as long as I feel good? I ran 3 straight days. 2) On my next run do I make it a little shorter, say 2 miles, and then slowly add distance back? 3) I really don't have any goals with respect to my running. Should I set some? I'm done with C25K.......and I'm a bit lost now! I need a plan or something. Thanks! Eric
      I think the natural next step is to sign up for a race! Most people would go for a 5K, but I did a 10K first. I thought I would run half of it and walk the rest, but I ended up running the whole thing. Sign up for one and train for it, then have fun running it! Then...sign up for another. Good stuff!
        I agree. My first 'race' was a local 10k event too. I also surprised myself by managing to run 95% of it - albeit quite slowly! I found running in an event was a really useful way to gauge where I was fitness and training wise, and gave my training a purpose. Just remember to enjoy it and not to try and keep up with the club runners at the front!!
        jcasetnl

I "was" on the C25K program. I'm in week 5 and ended up running 3.30 miles today. That's supposed to be like week 9 of the program. I am the most impatient person in the world and was EXTREMELY patient for 5+ weeks following the program very closely. Today, I just felt like I was ready to let loose an push myself a little. I didn't kill myself, and when I felt a little winded I slowed down a tick or two. Only thing is that the last mile or so my legs got a little sore. Not one spot but my achilles ached a bit, shins, knees. It wasn't "pain" but I guess my legs were sending a message. So my questions.... 1) I'm taking the next 2 days off. Is that enough as long as I feel good? I ran 3 straight days. 2) On my next run do I make it a little shorter, say 2 miles, and then slowly add distance back? 3) I really don't have any goals with respect to my running. Should I set some? I'm done with C25K.......and I'm a bit lost now! I need a plan or something. Thanks! Eric
          If you're a newer runner, my advice is just to be careful. With many new people their muscle growth/cadio improves faster than their joints adapt. Result=injury. And if you get off the program, don't stress it. The main thing, in the beginning, is to just get out there and keep it enjoyable. A race might be just the thing, though. They definately keep me motivated. The all-out efforts send you into total endorphin stupidity and you want more.
            Lisa is right. Sign up for a race. The most important thing is to stay injury free and have fun!!!
            "Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage" -George Patton"\
              You mention running 3 straight days.... my advice is don't do this for at least six months... if you minimize days running in a row, you can often recover with a single day (rather than two).... it's easier to build a habit with minimal breaks than with longer ones. And yes - a race is a good goal -- so it miles per month and days running per month -- but don't push it. Building slowly makes all the difference.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Slow-smooth-fast

I literally started running in Nov 06 and entered my first race, after a mere 6 weeks of training. I did a 10k on new years eve weighing in at approx 238lb. I ran it in 50:20 which I was happy with. I came from not running at all to completing the 10k road race, and I was really made up, so I would just say go for it. !

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

scvd

What would LongRunNick say...slow down...take it slow and easy...

Slow-smooth-fast

I agree. My first 'race' was a local 10k event too. I also surprised myself by managing to run 95% of it - albeit quite slowly! I found running in an event was a really useful way to gauge where I was fitness and training wise, and gave my training a purpose. Just remember to enjoy it and not to try and keep up with the club runners at the front!!
                    Just had a look at your log, you sure must have improved, to be now running 2 miles at 6 min mile pace, and consider it easy? Whats the secret?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Dave

Depends on your goals. Sounds to me like you would benefit from setting some to keep your training focused. If you want to work up to longer runs, something like the One Hour Runners program would seem to make sense. Maybe, as some have suggested, you could sign up for a 10K and do a beginner training program towards that 10K goal. You'll get to the point where you can pretty much go as long as you have the time and inclination to run (within limits). What used to seem like a really long run now will become routine. In the near term, I'd establish something like 2.5 miles as your "regular" distance, something like 4 times per week and add in a weekly long run that continues to stretch it out to progressively longer distances. When you get up to 5 miles on your long run, extend your regular run to 3. When it gets to 7, extend your regular runs to 4. That would take you to almost 20 mile weeks which is more than enough for fitness.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Vally

Hey Eric - I am kind of in the same place you are. There are a couple of programs out there. Take a look at Hal Higdon's Spring Training. I am very close to being back on the counch. Anyway, a group of us who did C25K together have started a user group here and you're welcome to join. We post regularly and keep each other honest. Here is the URL...we just got it today so don't expect much right now. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LongHaul