no time~~ (Read 640 times)

ashares

im in quiet a predicament here. I get out of school at 3, but the bus doesnt drop me off til about 3 45. it gets dark early, and my miles are going up, there just isnt enough daylight to do 12 mile runs. plus, i have no running buddy! is there a way i could just do long runs on saturday and sunday and speed work during the week?
      I feel your pain --- it gets light about 10 minutes before I leave for work, and it's dark when I leave work, so I can only run outside on the weekends Sad .... do you have access to a treadmill? They suck, but at least you can get some miles in ... that said, spring is almost here ... sort of Wink
      2009: BQ?
        You can't run in the dark? You can't run by yourself? I wouldn't suggest going long on consecutive days. If you need 20 miles for the weekend, do a 15 and a 5. If you need 22, do a 16 and a 6. Once the long run hits 20, your next day recovery shouldn't be more than 25% of your long run and at a "sightseeing" pace. Remember that your day has 24 hours just like the rest of us. How you choose to spend it is your decision.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

ashares

You can't run in the dark? You can't run by yourself? Remember that your day has 24 hours just like the rest of us. How you choose to spend it is your decision.
          I dunno, but its PROBABLY NOT the best idea for a small highschool girl to be running ALONE at NIGHT. and i spend my time VERY wisely. its not my fault i have to be at a bus at 6 30 AM. Evil grin

Imminent Catastrophe

I dunno, but its PROBABLY NOT the best idea for a small highschool girl to be running ALONE at NIGHT. and i spend my time VERY wisely. its not my fault i have to be at a bus at 6 30 AM. Evil grin
            You're right, it's not a good idea. Please don't! You can do your long runs on the weekend, in fact that is the norm for most of us who work during the week. Like rgreen said, back-to-back long runs isn't such a good idea so short-long or medium-long might be your best solution on the weekend.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

a, First, you can only do what you can do. I would not (and I never have) run the roads after dark. Second, you can run marathons with only weekend long runs (I have done this too). Third, if you are HS age I am not sure doing long runs AND weekday medium long runs is smart. You have years of maturing still to go. Don't rush. Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Good points. Sorry .... as we don't get too many little girls here. I never suspected.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Shiny Aspie

Tell your parents that you intend to run at night, and that if they really love you they'll run with you. If they refuse, tell them you'll call the DSS.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

im in quiet a predicament here. I get out of school at 3, but the bus doesnt drop me off til about 3 45. it gets dark early, and my miles are going up, there just isnt enough daylight to do 12 mile runs. plus, i have no running buddy! is there a way i could just do long runs on saturday and sunday and speed work during the week?
                    Does your team have an indoor track team? My son is a long-distance runner, but he does indoor track just to stay in shape - even the two-mile is too short for him. We're in Maine, and the LD kids run outdoors after school. Sometimes they run more than an hour straight. When it's too icy to run outside, they run in the school halls. It's so funny to see a bunch of tall guys running through the school, back and forth and back and forth and .... It takes quite a few lengths to go even two miles! I would think that you could find SOMEBODY to run with from your school. Can you keep looking? Good luck! I think it's great that you want to run so badly.
                      Can you tell us a little more about your program? I only do long runs on the weekend because with work, it's hard to find time to do more than 6 miles per run during the week. Back-to-back long runs on Saturday/Sunday would be too much for me but that's what getting older does to you.
                      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

The voice of mile 18

how about asking for a treadmill (or a gym membership)? that or long runs on the weekends or is there a scheduling conflict of some sort?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

ashares

thank you for all the suggestions!!! i almost have enough money for a gym membership for a few months outta the year. I do have people to run with, but no one thats training for a half marathon. and i dont run track so i cant train with all my cross buddys. o well, tredmill it is
                            For a half marathon, you should be fine with the long runs on the weekend.
                            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

The voice of mile 18

thank you for all the suggestions!!! i almost have enough money for a gym membership for a few months outta the year. I do have people to run with, but no one thats training for a half marathon. and i dont run track so i cant train with all my cross buddys. o well, tredmill it is
                              some health insurance companies will partially reimburse you for going to the gym have your parents check that option out. hope that helps. also check for local running clubs in your area maybe there is a long run planned for the near future

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy