Newbie here with a question-How long did it take you from running and getting winded to... (Read 1323 times)

Baby bean!

running for the long haul? I am a 30 year female who is just getting back into running. I ran track (sprinting) in Jr. High and a year in High School. I also did ballet for 14 years. I stopped all of it when college came and never got back into it. However, turning the big 3-0 has me changing my act. So basically, I have a training plan that has me mixing walking and running, but I'm disheartened by the fact that I get winded after running a minute or so. Especially today. I did my thing at 5 pm and it was HOT and I know that didn't help. I have no intentions of stopping, but I guess I need to hear some success stories. How long did it take to go from barely shuffling along or stopping frequently to catch your breath to running for 30 minutes? Thank you!

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Giants Fan

Been a long time for me but I wanted to say don't get discouraged! Everyone is different as far as their body, what shape they are in, how long it'll take but IT WILL HAPPEN! Just stick with it, be smart about it, and before you know it you'll be the one giving another newbie advice! Good luck!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Double IPA Please!

You dont show your log so it is hard to say without seeing what you have been doing. How fast your going, how often your running etc.. If your getting winded perhaps your running too fast and need to slow it down some more. To answer your question, I think its a personal thing quite honestly. For me the key was making sure I was going slow enough so that I would not feel as winded and walking more if I needed to..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Hawt and sexy

I quit huffing and puffing as soon as I started running slowly. Track in HS and running for life are two different things. You probably just need to slow down and you will be ok. When you go slow enough, 30 minutes should be no problem. Running 16 minute miles is still running.

I'm touching your pants.

My Hero

Your past experience as a sprinter tells me you may be running too fast even though you feel like you are running slow. The walk/run program is probably the best approach for people just getting into running for the first time, or past runners that haven't done any running for quite some time. The good news is... the more out of shape you are when you start running the biggest gains and progress you will see if can stick with it. I might suggest you check out the "Low Heart Rate" user group. Good luck and you will be amazed in no time how easy /enjoyable distance running is. Smile
            Ringmaster

Hi, Sushi. I'm posting b/c we have similar histories--I too was a sprinter in jr high. And I'm . . . in my thirties. Okay. I started walking--about 3.5 mi in 1 hour--in Feb of 2006. The following year, b/c my walking partner went on bed rest, I started to run for brief periods on the treadmill, out of sheer boredom. This would have been the summer of 2007. Trust me, it was very short spurts--a minute at first. I didn't set out to become a runner, which may have been my salvation. I was just out to break the monotony. Eventually I could run around the little blinky track on the screen once without dying--a quarter of a mile. Then twice. The first time I ran a mile (four laps) was on August 12, 2007. It's crazy to realize that when I reach my "runniversary" my daily runs will be between 6 and 8 miles. First 5k--December 1, 2007. First 10k--December 15, 2007. First half marathon--February 15, 2008. You've gotten good advice. Hang in there. It'll happen.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

Just Be

running for the long haul? I am a 30 year female who is just getting back into running. I ran track (sprinting) in Jr. High and a year in High School. I also did ballet for 14 years. I stopped all of it when college came and never got back into it. However, turning the big 3-0 has me changing my act. So basically, I have a training plan that has me mixing walking and running, but I'm disheartened by the fact that I get winded after running a minute or so. Especially today. I did my thing at 5 pm and it was HOT and I know that didn't help. I have no intentions of stopping, but I guess I need to hear some success stories. How long did it take to go from barely shuffling along or stopping frequently to catch your breath to running for 30 minutes? Thank you!
                How winded is winded? I have always been a gifted sprinter but never had a thing for distance until I got frustrated one day when I was 13 because I coulnd't run a mile next to a friend of mine who I - until I saw him run - thought was not fit at all. After that I started a walk/run program on a treadmill at the gym and I think it took me about 1 month before I could finish an entire mile without stopping to walk. My resting heart rate went from the 130s down to mid 80s in 2 months. IIRC, after about 4 months I could run an entire mile on the treadmill at 6 mph without getting very winded. I was really consistent about it, though. I think I was running about 15 to 20 miles per week after the start of the 2nd month. I continued that through the 4th month and then started increasing my mileage.

Just Be

BTW, the reason I ask how winded is winded is because I still get winded when running a mile at a 14:00/mile pace, but I can hold a conversation and even sing easily... but I am still more winded than if I were walking. It's all a matter of perception. If you mean winded as in you're breathing so hard you coulnd't even manage more than 1 word at a time, that's a good indicator that you need to slow down and be patient - eventually after enough slow miles you'll be able to hold a decent conversation at the same pace that had you huffing and puffing, but it will take time - probably somewhere around 2 to 6 months if your heavy breathing pace now is 5 mph.

De-slacking in progress

Read the stories in the RACING section- look for "I just ran my first 5K / 10K , etc type stories. I'm 46, smoked 29 yrs, 60# overrweight, never did anything athletic thing in my life. Did the couch to 5 K program ( C25K) , quit smoking, lost weight (prior to C25k) and have now ran 7 miles at once. This place is filled with hundreds of stories like mine. This is the place to be for advise. The best overall one that keeps getting repeated: SLOW down. Good luck

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Old, Slow, Happy

I will jump on the "slow down" band wagon. That seems to be the best way to get mileage in. You can begin to speed up after you can run the miles you're looking for. A side note, hot, humid weather always gets me. I can't do much distance. I run up to 15-16 miles on my long run and 50 miles/week. Lat night I walked after 2 miles and again after 5 miles just to get 9 miles in (I was planning 10). SO.....my limited knowledge advice is; slow down and expect the hot/humid weather to affect you also.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Hey Sushi, You've had some wonderful advice. I just wanted to remind you to celebrate every little success as you check off those days on your training plan. I know it's very hard, but try not to compare yourself to anyone (including logs you read here, many of which are very impressive, reflecting years of dedication). Slow and steady truly wins the race on this one. Take care, stay injury-free and enjoy!
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run

Baby bean!

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding. I will definitely take the advice of slowing down, I just feel like I'm running at a turtle's pace as it is Blush I know the most important thing right now is to build the endurance and build the speed later down the road. And yes, like another poster mentioned, marking on my calendar when I did what is so satisfying as are the little weekly goals I set for myself. I think I need to make sure I don't fall into the trap of trying to do too much too soon because that is what always deterred me in the past from getting back into it. So slow down it is. Thank you! Big grin

Goals:
                          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I just wanted to thank everyone for responding. I will definitely take the advice of slowing down, I just feel like I'm running at a turtle's pace as it is Blush Big grin
                            Hey Sushi --- Did you ever hear about the tortoise and the hair?? Big grin Run the turtles pace and you will get there (Probably faster)...and you will still be running in 5 years.........Your doing just fine.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

Giant Flaming Dork

http://xkcd.com/621/

Purdey

Self anointed title

My resting heart rate went from the 130s down to mid 80s in 2 months.
                                Shocked Is it possible to have a resting HR that high?! Shocked