Treadmills - No excuses, but... (Read 1321 times)

va

I run on a treadmill at a gym during winter months. I always thought that with treadmills you never have an excuse to not run, especially for weather related reasons. Well the winter storm passed through last night, and we lost power. That can be a problem for a treadmill! After a few hours the power came back, so I headed off for the gym, but because of the snow and ice on the road, my car couldn't make it up the hill on my street! Hopefully they will plow and I can go at lunch. I gotta have my fix, ah, I mean my run. I am breaking out in a cold sweat, as I type!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Virginia can't be any colder or snowier than MI has been for the past 2 weeks...get yer butt outside and RUN! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

No way! I think you guys who run in the cold are nuts. The lowest temperature I've ever run in was 48*, and that was way too cold! When I am driving to the gym, at 5:30 in the morning, I see people running outside in sub-freezing temperatures, and I have to look away. It hurts just to watch! Big grin
        derek

No way! I think you guys who run in the cold are nuts. The lowest temperature I've ever run in was 48*, and that was way too cold! When I am driving to the gym, at 5:30 in the morning, I see people running outside in sub-freezing temperatures, and I have to look away. It hurts just to watch! Big grin
          Here in N. Texas, I haven't had to run in anything colder than 28F and pretty much all my runs these days are in the 32-45F range. I even run in shorts once it's above 35F I don't particularly like running in the cold weather, but when I'm done, it feels great knowing that I actaly went out and ran when most people would have stayed indoors. A while back, we had one particularly nasty day (at least by TX standards) and even though I wasn't scheduled to run, I just "had" to go run 1.5 miles just so I know I went out when others wouldn't.

Derek

I'd love a WORKING treadmill right now ( need to order one part for the one at home) cause I REFUSE to run in freezing rain. Rain I can deal with but freezing rain ferget about it. Oh and I'd KILL for Derek's weather!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Scout7

I'd love to be able to run......*sniff*.
                Now I'm feeling bad Sad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

Here in N. Texas, I haven't had to run in anything colder than 28F and pretty much all my runs these days are in the 32-45F range. I even run in shorts once it's above 35F I don't particularly like running in the cold weather, but when I'm done, it feels great knowing that I actaly went out and ran when most people would have stayed indoors. A while back, we had one particularly nasty day (at least by TX standards) and even though I wasn't scheduled to run, I just "had" to go run 1.5 miles just so I know I went out when others wouldn't.
                  Derek, you are a true "warrior". This reminds me of a story I read recently about the training of the South Korean army... The caption to this photo was: "South Korean soldiers prove their hardiness during winter mountain training exercises by taking a snow bath." Source BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6248213.stm
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I get a sick sense of pleasure out on runs when the weather is even too cold for snowmobilers--and most of those machines have heated handlebars and they are wearing helmets and bundled-up. Though my low point was on Monday when the blast from a county plow nearly knocked me off my feet. That pissed me off...jerkwad could have slowed-down a bit, but he blew by me going at least 50mph and I was coated in a mix of sand, salt and snow. I still had grit in my teeth hours later. &*(*&%^)&(* k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Virginia can't be any colder or snowier than MI has been for the past 2 weeks...get yer butt outside and RUN! Tongue k
                      Might not be colder than MI, but VA has something that MI doesn't - hills. Not rises or inclines like in Michigan (My wife's from Allegan, MI and I'm originally from Roanoke, VA). Hills. And if va123's avatar is any giveaway, she's up in the Blue Ridge mountains, to boot. Running up a steep hill covered in snow and ice isn't my idea of a rave run. Go Wahoos!!! Mike
                      derek

And if va123's avatar is any giveaway, she's up in the Blue Ridge mountains, to boot.
                        Should be "*HE'S* up in the Blue......" Smile

Derek

va

I have got to work on toughening up my image. I am going to take my shirt of now and go roll around in the snow... Big grin
                            Just had to laugh at the differences. I think 48-50 degrees is the ideal running weather. Smile I'm usually out there in the single digit temps and negative windchills as well as those hot, humid 95 degree days of of a midwest summer. Fifty degrees is perfect. Wink Teresa
                              I don't mind running (too much) in snowy,icy, freezing conditions but, I don't like the idea of being a speed bump either. I try to be very aware of driving conditionswhen I run, especially running on an inside curve of an uphill. I sometimes wish I had a treadmill option. As a runner I find myself looking at a snowstorm the same way I did when I was a kid going to school. At one point you're looking outside thinking it's too bad to go to school or go out for a run. As soon as school was called off or somebody says you shouldn't go run today then I'm looking at the window thinking "it doesn't look that bad." One of my alltime favorite runs was in near whiteout conditions.
                                Should be "*HE'S* up in the Blue......" Smile
                                My bad. Sorry VA. No offense intended.