Must Pass Cooper Fitness Test Help (Read 1033 times)

iraqofficer

Dear friends,

I am 50 years old and was advised that I must pass the Cooper Fitness test . I must be able to Jog 1.5 miles in 14:33. I am not overweight and am 5"10  179 pounds I am in total shock because "No Pass No Job" Can anyone help me with some type of training plan to pass this test !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Tom

daveloud

What is your timeline? The time requirement is ~9:40 pace. I think the easiest way to train for this would be to break down your total run into 100 meter increments. Go to a track and start at either end of a straight-away. Dividing the track into quarters, try to run 35 seconds for each quarter of the track. On a  typical track, the straightaways and the turns will each be 1/4 of the track. Write down on your arm with a pen what your splits should be:

1:10

1:45

2:20

etc.

If you pace yourself with these splits, you should be fine. 35 seconds for each 1/4 of the track might seem pedestrian, but it shold be easy, maintainable, and provide a 2 minute cushion in case you get too tired.

Step 1:  Google Search:  Couch to 5k

Step 2:  Get off the internet and start running

iraqofficer

Hey Thanks for responding, Can or should I run each day ? I have a month off to train each day.

A Saucy Wench

OK you are posting in two separate threads which could make things confusing. 

I would continue to walk everyday and start running about every other day.  Some days run as slow as you need to run to run continuously and build up to 2 miles. (you'll thank me for that extra 1/2 mile later).  Some days run a little faster and alternate run segments and walk segments.

Personally to have some idea of where you are now I would suggest finding a treadmill, walk at your normal walking pace for 5 minutes to warm up, then put the treadmill on 6.2 mph which is approximately the speed you will need to run and try it for awhile.  Wait until you have had at least a few running sessions before trying this and you may want to ramp up slower, but without knowing if that pace is even doable right now it is hard to make a plan.  If you can run for 10 seconds at that pace is a world of difference from if you can run a couple minutes at that pace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

OK you are posting in two separate threads which could make things confusing. 

If you would like to help our new friend iraqofficer, just head on over to his other Must Pass Cooper Fitness Test thread.  It will be easier to keep things in one place.

Best of luck to you IO.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.