Ankle Injury? (Read 405 times)

AJsrunningmama

A week or so ago I noticed a slightly tender spot on the front of my ankle, sort of right below my shin....didn't think anything of it and couldn't pin point any type of event that would have caused it.  Just felt kind of bruised to the touch.

Continued to run my measley miles (2.5 miles/3x per week)....even did my long 4.5 run with no problem.....a week later during my second 4.5 mile run it didn't hurt while running but I could feel it when I walked.

After that run it was pretty sore all weekend and I wore a brace to stablize it...pressure on it didn't bother it, it was more of the fact when I walked the motion of my movements would make the feeling more prominent.

It appeared to be slightly swollen towards my inner ankle bone.....just sort of an achy feeling!

I decided to take the full week off from running to rest it but I have continued to do the stationary bike....funny thing is after I get off the stationary bike, it feels real good doesn't bother me at all!

I have a 5K I am going to attempt to do this Saturday.

Before making an unnecessary trip to the doctors I figured I would ask around and see if anyone has any ideas. It doesn't appear to be a sprain as I didn't roll the ankle there was no particular event that happened....

Any and all advice would be helpful!

xor

Eeek.  Trusting strangers on the internet for medical diagnoses can be scary monsters.

Example: It sounds like you have a stress fracture.

Dunno whether you believe me or not, nor should you.

I can't quite tell how long you've had it and how long you rested.  You mention "a week or so ago" and that you are taking a full week off.

Anyway, if it is a stress fracture, it doesn't hurt so much when you bike because you aren't doing a weight-bearing thing... but biking isn't exactly helping it get better.

My advice is to not trust strangers and get it looked at.  Not running on it is the right call... icing and elevating it may help reduce swelling.

I am strange.

AJsrunningmama

I know I know....I tend to self-diagnose first. Undecided

But wouldn't a stress fracture hurt when I stand or walk on it?

It doesn't....I keep thinking its just a bruised tendon or something, I figured if I take it easy this week it will get better.

If it doesn't I will head to the doctor.

I am just from the school that I don't go to the doctor for every ache and pain, I try to self treat it first and see if it will take care of itself.

BTW I felt the tenderness about 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't until this last Saturday that it actually hurt after my run.

Thanks.

I went to the same school. Big grin  But this thing has been hanging around for two weeks now, there's swelling, and it's intruding on your running.  That doesn't fit the profile of any old ache or pain.

The only thing I'd ask, and not by way of online diagnosis, is whether it's possible the tongue of your shoe (or the collar) might be pressing into that area?  I had that happen with one pair of shoes to the point of bruising me, it felt like tendinitis, it didn't hurt other than running (because I didn't wear the shoes for anything else!), etc.

Or it could be any of a number of other things.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The shirtless wonder

It does sound like a stress fracture but an orthopod can give you a proper diagnosis.  It might be something else.  I'm just coming off of a stress fracture and just because it doesn't hurt when you cycle doesn't mean much.  I did a lot of cycling and it never hurt while cycling.

The key indicators of stress fractures are:

• very localized pain
            • tender to the touch
            • pain increases during running
            • generally, but not always, hurts when you hop on your heel
            • tends to ache after a run.  For me the ache increased late at night (one night I had trouble sleeping due to the pain.

Stress fractures aren't any fun.  Get it ruled out by a pro.