Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

back to back half marathons in Allen TX

2013-12-31 2:41:00 - a 5 minute and 39 second PR

2014-01-01 2:43:38 - the day after a PR

Still pretty stoked about the whole thing although it's only now, at 9:30 pm in Dallas that I am shaking the "I never ever want to run again" thoughts lol

WTG! I did one of those a few months ago - it was named Double Half Mary.  It's a remarkably fun sort of race.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

back to back half marathons in Allen TX

2013-12-31 2:41:00 - a 5 minute and 39 second PR

2014-01-01 2:43:38 - the day after a PR

Still pretty stoked about the whole thing although it's only now, at 9:30 pm in Dallas that I am shaking the "I never ever want to run again" thoughts lol

Awesome job taking over 5min off a half PB, then running a second one the next day faster than your old PB! Dang that takes great legs and stamina! I finally got my halves out of the 2:50 range, barely. hoping to see you in the 3's soon!!!!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Completed first 30K today, Rogue Distance Challenge 30K, the 4th race in the 6 race Austin Distance Challenge.

Race Report:

Well I avoided my first DFL (dead friggin last)! Did better than I thought, 4:05:40 by my watch. I was annoyed by lack of post race 'racer food' etc so didn't look up my official finish time. Hate how back of the packers are treated by many races, especially this one which is part of the Austin Distance Challenge. My time should be close to official one tho. So the race.

Did side steps/foam roll/tennis ball roll before getting dressed as part of my IT band management routine. Race prep was a challenge. 57, no wind when I got up, the wind picked up and temps dropped as I ate my oatmeal! 45f, 18mph with gusts to 35 when I left the house. So changed into tights under my shorts, and threw extra gear into the car so I could adjust once there. When I arrived at Cedar Park HS, temps were 38f, with the same wind conditions out of the nnw. So, started race with head band, cap, light gloves, ss compression, ls tech, and my favorite wind breaker - one I bought year ago intending to throw it away. It's too functional to get rid of, with all the pull strings, Velcro strips on sleeves, inside pocket, zippered out side pocket & hood. I put neck gator into one pocket just in case. The venue was good with the starting line a short walk from the school exit. Had final gu before heading out. Wind was howling, hard to hear national anthem, but everyone herd the starting horn and off we went - short run to road and turn straight into gale winds and slight incline - there were many long, slight inclines on what I thought was supposed to be a flat course. The worst being the last .2 mi getting back to the school and finish line.

It went well. Had a problem hearing the Garmin because of the head band and wind noise. Did make the mistake of running to fast early on and paid for it the later as one would expect. Have to control that better for the full. As I learned at Decker I can get away with it these days for a half, but not for longer distances. Undressing started about mi 7-9, which is late for me, but it took that long for the sun to come up and start warming me, the wind seemed to die down, which proved to be a bit of a trap later on. So head band off, cap on but not over the ears - yeah! an hear the Garmin even with wind noise. Gloves into one pocket, loosened sleeve Velcro's and pushed the sleeves up, but left ls shirt down and wind breaker zipped. Finally warmed up and wind died down about mi 11, unzipped the jacket and would slide it down my back when running to expose my back, but pulled up for walking intervals, especially when a tail wind hit. Finally felt I could deal with the wind - trap! - around mi 12+ and took the jacket off and tied around waist. Worked great until a wind tunnel street where we hit a a strong head wind. I toughed it out and left the jacket off. Basically didn't over heat or get frostbite... so its all good.

So, the body, how'd it react? Well I finished, is there more to it than that? No real issues which was great. toughest part was walking intervals in the last few miles. which surprised me. Would feel twinges here and there. Pain levels really didn't hit above 3 in any area and rt hip/it behaved throughout, maybe a 1-2 at most. Both hamstrings talked a bit, rt more than lft. I think the stretches trainer Brad had me do and stretches masseuse Sarah did helped keep the IT band under control. Legs did start feeling tired/heavy tho near the end. Started extending running intervals, which had slowed down, in the last 3 miles, with more running closer to the end.

Nutrition: running total 3 gu's two packages of shot blocks, 1 skittle. Miles 4-pkg sb, 7-gu, 10-gu, 13 pkg sb, 16 gu - felt hungry the last mile tho. Drank more nuun thinking it might be thirst but it came back so might have need to take on more than that and did eat full pkg of shot lacks, 2 servings, each time. Might want to tray spreading it out more on training runs. Note: I put gu & shot block packages into gloved palm for 1-2mi to warm them up before consuming.

Lessons learned: Don't start to fast, don't start to fast, don't start to fast. Be sure to get those hips stretched for a day or two before the race. Side step/foam roll/tennis ball before race!

Am feeling good about how it went and as prelude to Austin Full. Am almost ready to tackle 6-6:30 time on feet...arghhh!

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I ran today while on a visit to Burlington, VT, and I just went on a short easy run, looking for about 7:15 or 7:30 pace. This is mostly because the snow was everywhere and very slippery, so I thought my pace would drop on account of the lost momentum. But I was surprised and came through the 3 mile run at 6:57 pace! Just a little victory for me. I'm a musician and I do not have much time to run, but I was previously doing long runs in the low 6's. I'll try my best to reach that pace and surpass it, but today, I was glad to have that small victory!

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Well, I'm pretty impressed that I ran 185 miles in the past month. I've never had such a month, but I've got a good plan and I'm feeling great. It is so wonderful to know what I'm capable of!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Well, I'm pretty impressed that I ran 185 miles in the past month. I've never had such a month, but I've got a good plan and I'm feeling great. It is so wonderful to know what I'm capable of!

That is awesome! I don't know that I could ever achieve that mileage w/o injury. I'm happy to be able to hit new highs w/o injury so far on my way to first full.

bob e v

10 miles on a treadmill! I was pretty bored by the end, but I made it! Hopefully no more ice storms around here! I am so sick of this winter

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

10 miles on a treadmill! I was pretty bored by the end, but I made it! Hopefully no more ice storms around here! I am so sick of this winter

Good job Kristi, and good luck getting outdoors again soon, for the sake of your sanity! Smile

De-slacking in progress

I thought about getting back to running more seriously today, so much so that I dug out all my winter running gear.

At one point I ran my HM, then basically quit. THINK about running everyday, but the couch and my 70 hr work week are great excuses

Time to start over! This will suck at first. Have gained nearly all of my 70# I had lost back (I think- not getting the scale out until the morning) Gotta quit smoking AGAIN and then re-start the C25K plan on 1/13/14.

Wish I had never quit running (or started smoking again)

I'll get 8 of the 9 C25K weeks in before we head off the Guatemala for 10 days. Besides- I want to say that I went on a RUN in Guatemala!

Here's to my FRESH start!!!

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

obiebyke

slaptear2, I remember you! Welcome back. C25K is awesome. Get back to it and keep coming back here.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Been there! Hope to avoid it in the future, not unless I have Google Glass or something to distract me. They aren't called Dreadmills for nothing!

bob e v

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Here's to my FRESH start!!!

We'll cheer you on! C25K is a great program it'l get you going! Looking forward to a Guatemala eun report!

bob e v

I ran today while on a visit to Burlington, VT, and I just went on a short easy run, looking for about 7:15 or 7:30 pace. This is mostly because the snow was everywhere and very slippery, so I thought my pace would drop on account of the lost momentum. But I was surprised and came through the 3 mile run at 6:57 pace! Just a little victory for me. I'm a musician and I do not have much time to run, but I was previously doing long runs in the low 6's. I'll try my best to reach that pace and surpass it, but today, I was glad to have that small victory!

Yeah. Those are the kind of runs which make it worthwhile!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Holy crap I'd have gone crazy!  Good job.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

joescott

Age group awards are nice and all.... but there ain't nothin' like actually crossing the string. 

Since this is the official thread for bragging I can say here, and maybe only here!, that I won a half marathon today, and I had to fight hard to do it, making it all the more satisfying.  It's not a real large race, and a lot of people stay away because the weather in January in Kansas is a total crapshoot, but nevertheless I beat everyone who showed up today to race with a 28 mph (no kidding) wind blowing out of the NW.  Mostly it was at our back, but there were about 4 miles net where we had to run west, including the final mile, and it was a mother.  And the course is very hilly to boot. Feelin' good this evening.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.