Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The Minneapolis Marathon was cancelled while everyone was lined up to start due to inclement weather. The race organizers offered finishers medals anyway. I would not feel right accepting a finishers medal without earning it so I ran 26.2 on my own. The weather turned out to be ok, but that is tough distance to cover on your own with no crowd support.

I hate it when that happens!  Sorry the "real" marathon didn't work out.  Good job getting it done anyway!

SubDood

The Minneapolis Marathon was cancelled while everyone was lined up to start due to inclement weather. The race organizers offered finishers medals anyway. I would not feel right accepting a finishers medal without earning it so I ran 26.2 on my own. The weather turned out to be ok, but that is tough distance to cover on your own with no crowd support.

Congrats, Laker! You are a better person than me. When they made the "announcement" (a woman standing in front of 6000 runners with no megaphone, no loudspeakers ... maybe 100 of us actually heard her), I went to a coffee shop and ate an apple fritter. For the electrolytes.

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

We must have been standing close to each other. I have never seen a large race where the staging was so sparse up towards the front. You are probably correct in guessing 100 or so heard her. There were plenty of people lined up to run, but seriously, we could have played a pickup game of floor hockey by the starting line. It seemed a little weird.

SubDood

We must have been standing close to each other. I have never seen a large race where the staging was so sparse up towards the front. You are probably correct in guessing 100 or so heard her. There were plenty of people lined up to run, but seriously, we could have played a pickup game of floor hockey by the starting line. It seemed a little weird.

I agree, it was kind of weird. My guess is the sparse-ness (sparcity?) near the front was due to the complete lack of announcements. Usually, for a race with that many people, they make frequent announcements letting people know how many minutes until the start, thanking sponsors, etc. When people hear those announcements, they start to inch forward and those gaps close up by the time of the actual start. I was standing near the power generator and watched them try to start that thing for a long time. Without it, they had no power, and apparently no backup plan.

Out of curiosity, were you the person who certified the course?

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I agree, it was kind of weird. My guess is the sparse-ness (sparcity?) near the front was due to the complete lack of announcements. Usually, for a race with that many people, they make frequent announcements letting people know how many minutes until the start, thanking sponsors, etc. When people hear those announcements, they start to inch forward and those gaps close up by the time of the actual start. I was standing near the power generator and watched them try to start that thing for a long time. Without it, they had no power, and apparently no backup plan.

Out of curiosity, were you the person who certified the course?

No. If the certification was done by someone with the same name as me, that is my dad. I did not realize that he certified the course, but I am not surprised. He does a lot of that kind of stuff.  I just started running last year and I am not involved in the race administration world, nor do I care to be. if the course is close to what my Garmin says, I am happy.

Joann Y

So, today officially marks two full years of running, consistently and purposefully. Been ups and downs for sure but I think I am on the right path. Lots of thanks to all that contribute here. Some of you have been a real inspiration :-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, today officially marks two full years of running, consistently and purposefully. Been ups and downs for sure but I think I am on the right path. Lots of thanks to all that contribute here. Some of you have been a real inspiration :-)

Hurray!  Great job!

Joann Y

Hurray!  Great job!

Thank you LedLincoln! It's not much, but it's something!

amn77

That's a great accomplishment!

Allyson
                    BeeRunB

Knocked 3 minutes off running pace at 130 bpm on 2.5 months of almost all walking (ran just 10 miles).

erinr

Legs tired.  Not enough sleep.  Hot and humid.  Family visiting.  Ran anyway.

I'm also on track to have my highest mileage month yet (over 120--previous record is 100).  I have a feeling these 2 accomplishments are somehow related.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Legs tired.  Not enough sleep.  Hot and humid.  Family visiting.  Ran anyway.

I'm also on track to have my highest mileage month yet (over 120--previous record is 100).  I have a feeling these 2 accomplishments are somehow related.

Nice

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Outside Lane

First run in over a month - glad I got out there today - have lost my running mojo lately and hope I am getting it back.

See how they run...

erinr

Nice

Thanks!  I have trouble being consistent, but my first marathon is in about 4 months, so I've been scared straight

completed my second marathon of the year last weekend at Hatfield/McCoy.  Christmas in July 24 hour ultra awaits me in July where I will qualify for the Marathon Maniacs.

Tammarin.....