Post Your Small, or Big, Victory For The Day! (Read 5844 times)

robin from maine

PB--- 4th consecutive month 200+ miles.

Great job, Runnerclay!

robin from maine

One of the best run reports and posts ever, Wrigley Girl

I may have set a record for my slowest run ever (thanks to many stops along the way), and it was awesome.

Last night I looked up ever building on the north side of Chicago that is on the National Register of Historic Places, and mapped out a few different running routes to take them all in.  I just wanted a little joggy jog today, so I set off to see 10 of these buildings along with three that are Chicago Landmarks (they are just as impressive, but unlike the Nat'l Places, owners don't have a say in their designation which keeps neer-do-wells from buying a house of historical significance and tearing it down to build a hideous high rise).

I've been by most of these houses and buildings, but with the exception of a Frank Lloyd Wright house, was unaware of their backgrounds. Today I brought along a sheet with historical and architectural notes on each place. There were Prairie Style houses (including some from George Maher and Frank Lloyd Wright), a bunch of American Four Square homes and mansions (swoon), an Art Deco "skyscraper" (fourteen floors) composed of Indiana limestone, and a number of buildings that told the tale of a far out suburb that was annexed by the city of Chicago in 1891 and settled by those with new money.

It is kind of cool to get to explore and learn more about your own city. I like running for running's sake, but getting to use it as a way to get to interesting places faster seems pretty worthwhile.

MTA:  The National Register of Historic Places has 89,150 listings. I found Wikipedia to be a good source for finding places near me. It was better than the NPS website.

Kalsarikännit

Thanks Robin!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

One of the best run reports and posts ever, Wrigley Girl

yep, cool idea. made me do my googlefoo to see whats around my neck of the woods. who'd of known.

Get off my porch

Kalsarikännit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Register_of_Historic_Places_listings

yep, cool idea. made me do my googlefoo to see whats around my neck of the woods. who'd of known.

That link is to a good source for the National Register of Historic Places. It is arraigned by state and county, has addresses, and many of the places listed have a page with info about them.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Huge PR for me today at my half marathon! I was 2:27 faster than my best half time and 3:53 better than that half marathon that devastated me less than a month ago. Finish time 2:22:34! So happy! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Woohoo, Meg! Way to go!

Huge PR for me today at my half marathon! I was 2:27 faster than my best half time and 3:53 better than that half marathon that devastated me less than a month ago. Finish time 2:22:34! So happy! Smile

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Runslowalksalot

My first 3 hr plus run today!   Marathon program

Called for the lesser of 3:30 or 20 miles.   I was going on trails so the miles aspect was out the window, the key was time  3:43!!!

New 15k PR at the Hot Chocolate 15k in Denver.  1:12:20, beat my old PR by 4:54 (1:17:14) ran last year on the same course.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Looks like a good weekend for all! Congrats .

Runslowalksalot

kmalsom

CanadianMeg

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

erinr

First marathon yesterday!  Finished in 3:59:02 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Awesome!  Bask in the glory!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

erinr

Awesome!  Bask in the glory!

Oh I'm definitely basking!  I'm so sore, that's about all I can do 

Congratulations!