Marathon Training and Bonding (Read 629 times)

joefreudenthal

My brother-in-law and I are in training for the Chicago Marathon coming up October 9th. This is his first marathon. The experience of training with someone for their first marathon (especially someone you really care about) is an experience I would highly recommend. Our relationship has deepended to the point where he has become one of my best friends. I think there are two main reasons for this "bonding" during marathon training that happens. The first is that all relationships need quality time to strengthen. You can plant a "relationship seed" with someone, but if you do not spend the time "watering and fertilizing" the "seed", it will not grow. It is quite an understatement to say that training for a marathon together increases your quality time together. The second reason that training for a marathon builds that "bond" between people is that the two are focused on the same goal and accomplishing the goal is very important to both. Imagine some friends of yours that have a great marriage. Do they not seem "in sync" and heading in the same direction? Do they not agree and focus on the same goals for their relationship and family? It is a powerful thing for "teams" to be focused on the same goal and heading in the same direction. It brings people together in a powerful way. I heard once that all relationships are either growing or dying. How true. If you want a relationship to grow, suggest training for a marathon together, or if not that, suggest some other goal to shoot for together that has you spending quality time with that person pushing together to reach that goal. It really will work. Let me know if anyone out there is training for the Chicago Marathon this October. I would love to hear how your training is going. Joe Freudenthal enerfitrunning.blogspot.com
      Thanks for writing this. I feel the same way about my dad, who is my running partner and training buddy. We started running together this summer (me, for the first time; him, returning after years of not running). Our relationship has grown more than I ever imagined, and I feel like I've gotten to know him on a deeper lever. You really learn to appreciate a person when you spend so many hours running with them! We're not training for Chicago, just building base mileage to start training to run a strong HM in Indy this May, but Chicago is one that I want to do. You'll never forget this experience, the race, the training, everything. Good luck Smile
      "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
      joefreudenthal

Thanks, Paige. That's great that you are connecting to your Dad in a deeper way. I have 2 daughters (6 and 18 months) and the bond I have with them is so unique. I look forward to seeing if they take up running. I really think that would be cool to do with the kids. God bless and good luck on your HM, Joe

Dog-Love

I am training with the greatest gal in the world. She is in her early thirties where I am almost 50. When I said I wanted tot train for a marathon she was so supportive and said..Hey Ill do that with you. I LOVE her! So yeah, you're right because we get to talk for hours and we know our stomach problems. I seem to have all the problems where she is just a running animal. We run into bears on trails and we laugh a ton. Especially at the end of a long run when you are done and you can no longer walk. OUCH! I could not have done this without her. Our marathon is October 7th in Susanville CA. Have fun in Chicago. 2 friends of mine in Juneau are training for that one. Sounds like fun
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            You are lucky, Sherry! It does sound like so much fun to train with someone for a special race like that. Best of luck to all of you Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Couldn't agree more. I'm training this year with a girl who is running her first marathon in Chicago, while this is my second time. It's so great sharing the experience with another like-minded person, plus we have a lot of fun along the way!
                I've been running my long runs with my brother-in-law for a couple of months now and it has given us a bond maybe not on a level like you are all speaking about but it is definately something more than we had before. The bond that running has given to me is to my 9 year old daughter. She asked if she could start running with me on the weekend. 6-7 miles is to far for her so when we get back I always do 1-2 kms as a cool down with her. It gives us something that is just about us. It made her love running so much she has joined the cross conutry team and is doing well. It is a special time that as she gets older hopefully we can continue to do.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

All business

Great story! You're welcome to join our Chicago Marathon group at: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/chicago btw, it's on October 7th

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

joefreudenthal

Oh geez, thanks for the date correction. I will join your group. Thanks for the invite. Have a great day, Joe Freudenthal enerfitrunning.blogspot.com