Rock n Roll marathon.... bring headphones or not? (Read 186 times)

Ok, San Diego RnRoll marathon is coming up soon.  Is it corny to bring headphones to these type marathons or what?  I was thinking of wearing them because I figure there may be parts that are isolated or quiet. Also if I hit the wall I might need a few of MY songs to get me through.  I don't want to miss the crowd or bands though. Im confused,  any thoughts????

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

an amazing likeness

(Personally...I don't wear headphone / ear buds when racing....so I have a certain slant to the topic, just want you to know.)

But think about this...if you're worried about the bands on the course -- you'd only hear them for a short time as you run by, like a minute or so.  So....not missing much.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I ran the Austin 10/20 two weeks ago, 10 miles, 20 bands so a band every 1/2 mile or so - still there were places you couldn't hear any music. I expect you'll have quiet areas during the RnR as well.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Julia1971

I would check to see if they're permitted or not.  If they're not, I won't wear them (but it seems like a lot of runners don't feel the need to follow this rule).  If they're allowed, I listen to music for a marathon.  As far as hearing the crowds, I manage to hear the clapping just fine and if someone does shout something to me, it's usually nothing more original than "Go, Julia!", "Go, Bib 1234!" or my place in gender.  As far as the bands, if you really want to hear them, get a set of headphones that are made for iPods and have a controller on the cord.  That way, you can hit the pause button when you come upon a band.  Many of them, like the high school and college bands, you'll hear through the earphones.  But, the two guys playing acoustic guitar or the a cappella groups, you'll miss without turning off the tunes.

GC100k

I ran the Austin 10/20 two weeks ago, 10 miles, 20 bands so a band every 1/2 mile or so - still there were places you couldn't hear any music. I expect you'll have quiet areas during the RnR as well.

Ya, It's fun to have bands on the course, but you only hear each one for a few seconds each.

Mysecondnewname

Part of the selling point of the Rock n Roll series is the amount of music/stuff to keep you amused/distracted/inspired while you run--it's part of what you are paying for.

RNR San Diego apparently does allow headphones http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-diego/event-details#race-rules , so it's your call.

Maybe it might be best to do whatever you've practiced with during your long runs?

Good luck, and have a great race!

bleach

I've run it.  You will need your own music.  Think about this, you're running past a stationary band and there are actually very few of them.  You might hear half a line or a line of a song and then nothing for a long, long, time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! I will bring my headphones for sure if I run this thing.  I don't play it that loud anyways ... I can usually hear people say hi and stuff on the running path.  I know I will need my favorite song for those last 4-5 miles !!!!!!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As Julia said, they may be against the rules. So you have to decide based on your own ethics of rules (and "cheating"), if you want to obey the rules all the way.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Perhaps I'm overcritical because I used to be a musician but I have found that many of the bands at Rock 'n' Roll marathons are pretty terrible.  Headphones can help prevent the aural pain!

heelgrad92

Don't wear headphones in a marathon,unless there areonly 12 people running it.  I have had many races with great conversations and other racers pushing/pulling me to a faster pace.  Hradphones are for training.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Assuming that wearing headphones prevents this, assumes that one must have the volume all the way up.  You can have the music at a very low volume and turn up/turn down throughout the race.  You can even put the headphones in your pocket.

I actually am beginning to prefer running without generally, but I like having the option during the race.  Especially when  I have to run by a band playing extremely out of tune.

Don't wear headphones in a marathon,unless there areonly 12 people running it.  I have had many races with great conversations and other racers pushing/pulling me to a faster pace.  Hradphones are for training.

uncontrollable

Nope. If you're a music buff - you'll want them.  The bands can only be heard for a short, segmented part of your passing by.  Cool but if you want to get in the groove and get through the tough miles...I would say bring them.

peace

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

From the San Diego RnR event rules, it appears to me that headphones are not forbidden -- so, that means allowed, I think.

(I get the impression that many headphone wearers don't care about the rules, anyway, but in case you do.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.