It is that time of year to ask the big question . . . (Read 2402 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

You are the one going on and on about Boston.

I can tell you about Kona Ironman.  And, no, it doesn't go through Aloha stadium nor any of the stuff you see on Hawai'i Five O.

You've done Kona or you can just tell me about it?  Finishing an Ironman is such an amazing feat.  I'm amazed at some of the people that even try it.  Until I watched one on TV a month or so ago I didn't even know they had cutoffs of when you have to finish each portion of the race by.  They had a couple of people at each section (swim and bike) who barely missed the cutoff time.  I felt really bad for them.  It was very emotional.  I would think you should have to finish a half ironman before taking on a full ironman.  More for saftey reasons then anything else.  Some of those people looked really bad at the end of the race.  I don't think they should have been trying to do this.   Then again you probably have those at the end of marathons as well. 

For the record I am a big Red Sox fan so running into Fenway at the end of a race would just be awesome.  I love Fenway park.  My wife and I went to a double header on our honeymoon when the Sox clinched the playoffs back when Roger Clemens and Mo Vaughn were on the team.  Clemens was our favorite player and we named our dog Mo.  I so wish the Rocket would have just taken the Andy Petitie route, guilty or not guilty.  He is our generations Pete Rose. 

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    xor

I DNFed at Kona twice in my youth. I also used to live in Kona (correction: ok, I lived south of Kona) and worked the event a few years.  I also used to make part of my living by giving course orientations and some small amount of coaching (not to the pros, yikes) for those who came over for the event.  Many of the serious folks come over anywhere from 1 week to 6 months early.

BTW, this year's event is this Saturday.

There are more than a couple people who miss the cut-offs... what you saw was what the TV program wanted you to see for dramatic effect.  The actual event isn't quite like what you see on the television.  And, like with Boston, more people could actually *complete* Kona than perhaps you'd think after watching TV coverage... it is just so damn hard to get into.  Which I'm ok with.  Anyway, if you think the idea of traveling to Boston to run is a complicated thing, then Kona would explode your brain.  Getting your bike there, intact, is challenging and stressful.

>> Some of those people looked really bad at the end of the race.  I don't think they should have been trying to do this.   Then again you probably have those at the end of marathons as well.

Yes.  Do you look at people at the end of your marathons????

L Train

Ignorant here, but don't you have to have a very good Ironman time to even be able to get to Kona?

xor

That is one way.

There are other ways... the most well-known involves a lottery.  It is a small number of entries (currently 200. This used to be split US/Intl, but next year it will not be).  And you can increase your likelihood of being chosen by bribing them (ok, they used to call it joining their "passport club", dunno what it is these days).

Lottery info

Ah yes, you can still get extra lottery mojo via the passport club

Back in the 80s, there were other ways which no longer exist.  And, remember, triathlon and marathon weren't the everybody's-doin-it things they are today.

jeffdonahue

Ignorant here, but don't you have to have a very good Ironman time to even be able to get to Kona?

To qualify for Kona yes, but they also have a lottery system set up for all us ordinary folks.

Ah yes, you can still get extra lottery mojo via the passport club

Wow... they need a booster organization???

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Augh never thought about trying to get a bike over there.  That would be a nightmare. 

I would never want to win the lottery but earn my way into the event.  I know it is super hard but that is what makes it so appealing.  Same thing for Boston and NY qualifying times. 

In the end it is just another pipe dream.  However, I used to think when I was over 80 lbs heavier that I would never be able to run a marathon or to even think about getting to Boston.  Here I am though knocking on that door.  I bought a wetsoot I am going to have to give it a try at some point.  

2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Reading this makes me wonder if there's enough time in a three-week taper to squeeze in an IM before the marathon. Doable?

DoppleBock

If running 1 Monkey is stupid ... what is running 2 ? 

although ... since I am fat and out of shape, it would give me an excuse when A1 makes me look like a sissy ...

Although I am a little afraid ... no not of the dark ... no not of the Monkeys ... no not even the snakes (I hate snakes) ... of WG ... Chicago girl from the hood is gonna crack my head with a rock and leave me there for the Monkey's to feed on.

I will see how the 50 in 3 weeks goes and then decide.

With 2 there might be a nice place to park one of our cars and have at least 1 aide station.

Double Monkey is as WG suggests.  You start at the starting line at ~3 or 4am.  You run the Monkey course.  In the dark.  Without course monitors.  Or aid stations.  Or sunlight.  Or warmth.  But with monkeys.  And the moon will be full, which only agitates the monkeys.

Then finish.  Before 8am.  At the start/finish area.

And then at 8am, run the Monkey with all the normally foolish fools.

And then finish.  And drink twice the beer.

Groovy groovy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I will guide y'all's about the aid station, no worries.  I have some ideas.

DoppleBock

We will not be in a big hurry ... so just a few places to have a gallon of H20 and maybe a bottle of gatorade for hand helds would do it.

Not that I am committing to anything ... although if I could get A1 to commit, then it would still be an even steven race in the 2nd monkey ...

DoppleBock

Will we be breaking any rules being in the park so early ???

That will kill me for beer drinking after Monkey ... decisions

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since when do we care about rules?

The park opens at sunrise.  Our permit allows us there as early as 5ish.  I'd be surprised if anybody was patrolling at 4am.  The times I have run there then, no problem.

Kalsarikännit

of WG ... Chicago girl from the hood is gonna crack my head with a rock and leave me there for the Monkey's to feed on.

Remind me to find out where your special Wisconsin beer dip is, just in case there is an "accident".

Besides, why would I hurt you?  Just because you spent a day chasing me down, forcing me to down nasty gu's, salt pills, and old cheese topped bagels?  (If that was grounds for murder A1 would have killed me long ago.  MMMmmm...hundreds of jet blackberry Gu).

I will run with you the whole time reminding you how the Bears beat the Packers.

I will need to start at 3 just to be safe and so I will be set for the start of the race.  I care nothing for the silly "rules" of that small, monkey infested park.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

That will kill me for beer drinking after Monkey ... decisions

Are you trying to say you can't run two marathons and drink beer?  That's BS.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart