There may be something to the old "no pain no gain" refrain after all (Read 254 times)

Feeling the growl again

LINK to NYTimes article with link to original paper abstract.

One of my better marathon cycles was not particularly high in volume, but I did an unusual amount of high intensity work that I kept short enough that I was able to recover and do it almost every day.  Perhaps there was something to that technique.

Or perhaps mutant mice don't always inform the human experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

Good article, and worthy of a tweet. Though I think most experienced runners already know you have to keep upping the training load to get there. But the science is interesting. And on mice: God bless those little creatures—they sure have served mankind well. In one of the infinite probable universes somewhere, we're running in their mazes looking for the cheese (loose paraphrase of Douglas Adams).

bhearn

So where can I score some CRTC2?

Feeling the growl again

I could clone an inducible coding sequence into an adenoviral vector (ie gene therapy) and you could inject it in massive doses.  If you survived, it should work.  I could throw in a green fluorescent protein sequence so we could monitor how well the gene expression worked.  As a nice side effect, you'd glow in the dark like a jellyfish and wouldn't need to carry a headlamp for Western States.

So where can I score some CRTC2?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Joann Y

I could clone an inducible coding sequence into an adenoviral vector (ie gene therapy) and you could inject it in massive doses.  If you survived, it should work.  I could throw in a green fluorescent protein sequence so we could monitor how well the gene expression worked.  As a nice side effect, you'd glow in the dark like a jellyfish and wouldn't need to carry a headlamp for Western States.

Could you throw a bunch of ADH1B in there while you are at it? You may be holding the key to the BM WR!

bhearn

Sign me up!

Feeling the growl again

Could you throw a bunch of ADH1B in there while you are at it? You may be holding the key to the BM WR!

I always dreamed of using my education to create a new designer breed comprised of an English Mastiff or Irish Wolfhound crossed with a Chihuahua.

Perhaps this is a more worthy pursuit....

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I always dreamed of using my education to create a new designer breed comprised of an English Mastiff or Irish Wolfhound crossed with a Chihuahua.

Perhaps this is a more worthy pursuit....

I have a Golden Retriever and Pomeranian mix. The results are amusing, but not very useful.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

They just mixed the wrong parts.  Smile  But she is amusing and decently useful at guarding against zombie possums.

I have a Golden Retriever and Pomeranian mix. The results are amusing, but not very useful.

Goldpomeretrieveranian?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

decently useful at guarding against zombie possums.

Useful at alerting to the presence of, not so much guarding against.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Goldpomeretrieveranian?

Exactly.

Exactly.

My heart is melting!  Such a beautiful dog.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Feeling the growl again

Useful at alerting to the presence of, not so much guarding against.

I wouldn't hold that against her.  It's hard to swing a shovel without opposable thumbs.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.