Once A Runner (Read 3207 times)

My wife was looking for the book Once A Runner and the cheapest she found on Ebay was $102. Then on Amazon $325 was the cheapest. Barnes and Noble had a linik to a used copy that was $1,000. Any ideas why this book would be this expensive?
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      It's been out of print for a while, and it's very popular. There's a pdf copy online, though. Look in the running readers group for a link.

sean

I spoke with John Parker this summer, and he said that he is going to get the book reprinted in early 2008. Hopefully he will still do that, but the attack on his heart (not to be confused with a heart attack) has probably pushed that back a bit. I've been in contact with Breakaway Books (the publishers of Again to Carthage, the sequel) and they don't have the rights to publish it. I'm not sure if he's planning on using his own publishing company again, or where it stands. I'm hoping it gets published again, though, since I've bought the book twice and had both copies go walking. (I bought them at cover price in the late 90s.)

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The voice of mile 18

not familiar w/ this book at all saw a little writeup on the sequel in runnersworld but didn't read it. is the original that good?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Why is it sideways?

is the original that good?
            It's for some and not for others. How do you feel about this paragraph?
            And too there were questions: What did he eat? Did he believe in isometrics? Isotonics? Ice and heat? How about aerobics, est, ESP, STP? What did he have to say about yoga, yogurt, Yogi Berra? What was his pulse rate, his blood pressure, his time for 100-yard dash? What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?
              I pre-ordered a copy of Jeff's "Just Run". Big grin It looks like the PDF like is down.

Vim

I run for Fried Chicken!

I just read the pdf copy of it. It's a good easy read. It inspires me to go run. I kept repeating "Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials" to myself on one of my long runs. Cheesy I know and I'm not normally one to be cheesy but it helped. More than anything else, it made the miles go by faster because I wasn't thinking about running, more about the book. Oh yeah, I also just ordered his new book, "Again to Carthage". Should be here next week.
                  I'd love to read this book. I read the preview of Again to Carthage in RW and thought it was fantastic. Could someone please post a link to the pdf of Once a Runner here? It would seem that the link in the running readers group is down...
                  hdbuckley

Fleet Feet own the rights to Once a Runner and they will be re-releasing it in Feb. 2008. It's supposed to be a hard back edition and it will be available in the Fleet Feet stores. This information is from an email I sent to Fleet Feets headquaters to confirm the rumor I heard. I hope you can wait until February!
                      Do you know if it will be available for order online? Unfortunately, Fleet Feet doesn't have stores in Canada. Or at least none that I am aware of.
                        Do you know if it will be available for order online? Unfortunately, Fleet Feet doesn't have stores in Canada. Or at least none that I am aware of.
                        If it's not available on line I can help you get a copy. I have a Fleet Feet 10 miles from my work and another on 10 miles from my house.
                          I may just take you up on that, Alan. Thanks.
                            I may just take you up on that, Alan. Thanks.
                            No problem Dave- keep it in mind and let me know.