Oh.... my aching shins!! (Read 1165 times)

The Running Green Girl

(one suggestion i've heard over and over is to do the alphabet with your big toe. like do one foot at a time.)
    You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com
      I am also new to RA and switched from CR. I've had similar shin pain and I did a short series of heal and toe raises that seemed to do the trick. I usually do these right before I warm up but throughout the day works too. 2 reps (15 each) 15 toe raises with your toes pointing towards each other. /\ 15 heal raises with your toes pointing towards each other. /\ 15 toe raises with your heals pointing towards each other. \/ 15 heal raises with your heals pointing towards each other. \/ Hope it helps and good luck. ~Nina
      Standing or sitting or does it not matter?
      I wish my lawn was emo...
        It doesn't matter. -You might also want to make circles with your foot. When I stretch, I 2 reps doing 5 circles clockwise then 5 circles counterclockwise. -I would also suggest adding a walking warm up and cool down. -Ice your shins after your run or while your getting ready to sleep. -Bengay/Biofreeze can reduce your soreness.

Vim

oh you are quite worthy...just not OLD enough.... Shy...just wait until I bring up a Jim Fixx fix....
          Funny you mention Jim Fixx....I *just* checked out his "Complete Book of Running" today from the library...I also finished "Running and Being" by Dr Sheehan a couple months ago...I may not be old enough, but these guys know how to write about running, that's for sure... Shocked
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
            I"ve always done them standing up because you feel your shins working. Whenever and I sit it just feels like I'm working my ankles...which is still a good thing.
            obiebyke

Really? I like doing it sitting down. Feels like more of a stretch to me, at least on the toe raises. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I can testify that toe taps solved my shin pain too. I thought it was shin splints at first but now I suspect those muscles just needed to be strengthened and stretched. Doing toe taps whenever I thought about it at my desk during the day seems to have solved the problem!
                Heroes never die. They just reload.