Cheffy's very first Race, the GOOD and the BAD..... (Read 958 times)

Ran the Cupid's Cup 5k race today in Beautiful Charlotte, NC. Race Time was 8:00am and the weather was clear and 39 degrees at the gun time..... ahhhh, good weather! Course sarted on a very loooooooong hill, evened out, and rounded a downhill curve, back up a 2nd hill to the downhill course end. I ran great even with my recent woes with my shin splints, as posted in the " sneakers" thread. around the last turn of the race, I felt a really sharp pain in my heel of my doninant leg, inside to around the back of the heal. Tried to run through it, no go.... Walked for a short itme just before finish, and HTFU'd and ran into the finish with a time of 30:03. Big grin Now: Heal is in extreme pain, hobbled home, took a quick shower, and am icing as we speak with a nice side of motrin for breakfast, wondering what the hell happened. For this gal, it seems two steps forward, and ten steps back.... This sucks. My training has been good, consistent, and the only problem has been the shin splints, that I was wondering if my motion control shoes were to partly to blame for. now this. Waiting to see how it feels by monday, but may have to have it looked at. BTW, No noticealbe swelling, discoloration, just searing pain when weight is put on the inside part of this heel. Any thoughts? " HobbleCheffyHobble" Cry

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Runner

Looks like you've had some good steady progress on training or this 5k. Congrats first of all. Take a few days off and then re-evaluate your pain. If you are having shin splints, heal pain, etc. Something most certainly is wrong and it can be corrected. Look into changing footwear at a good running specialty store, and if you have already done that go to another and see if you get the same diagnosis from them. If still not satisfied then go see a doc. because running with pain will eventually cause you to stop running. Also you might want to look into the POSE running. If you are a heal striker and have pain then being able to run as more of a forefoot striker might help out a little.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Well done on your first race, nice time! I can see from your profile photo you are a heel striker, as most of us are, can't comment beyond that. (I thought chefs were supposed to be overweight?) Do you land heavily on your heels when descending hills? Or do you take shorter steps at a higher turnover? Just wondering since you mentioned the hills. Armchair "analysis" now over, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

You know, I have practiced Chi Running, and sometimes I think I do it, but clearly, as most are, I am a Heel Striker. I have been trying to work on my running form, but you know what? I think when you try to d*** around with what nature gives you, you end up hurting yourself even more. ( A true Naturalist's opinion). I suspect it was the downhill that caused it, I had been given a pair of higher end otc inserts for my shoes, but did not want to run the race with them as the feeling was so unnatural that I did not want to comprimise my time. I am in between icings now, and slipped those orthos into my shoes, and feel better with them on. Very rigid arch support in them, so maybe it is that i truly do need the " stability" shoe rather than motion control.. Confused I do know this: I am plum tuckered from trying to figure out these dumb A$$ injuries, and why they keep happening to me, when I am doing everything right in regards to my running/training/eating. I suspect that it is a soft tissue injury, as i said, I have no real swelling or anything to indicate that it would be the bone itself. Especially since I take 1200mg Calcium daily, drink a ton of Skim Milk, and eat very well. ( By the way, Simon, Chefs can be skinny, and you don't see my lovely chubby belly under my running shirt!! Shocked that is where all the good food and wine of my life happily resides).... This would have been the run of my life so far, Instead I am so sad.... And so fearful that this will mean a setback of a few weeks that will take me out of the game.... Thanks for all your support all, It means the world to this girl..... XXOO

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do know this: I am plum tuckered from trying to figure out these dumb A$$ injuries, and why they keep happening to me, when I am doing everything right in regards to my running/training/eating.
            You are not alone. There are several folks around here who have expressed this very sentiment (I've had a few issues in the past that have had me feeling this way, too...it's frustrating and so discouraging). I hope you can get to the bottom of what's causing your issues and back on the road to running without pain and injury. I'm glad that you're not giving up, though.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You are not alone. There are several folks around here who have expressed this very sentiment (I've had a few issues in the past that have had me feeling this way, too...it's frustrating and so discouraging). I hope you can get to the bottom of what's causing your issues and back on the road to running without pain and injury. I'm glad that you're not giving up, though.
              Giving up is NOT AN OPTION. I love it toooo toooo much. Not to mention $$$ invested in cool running do-dads.... Wink Thanks Zoomy~ I thought of you when I HTFU'd...... Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Giving up is NOT AN OPTION. I love it toooo toooo much. Not to mention $$$ invested in cool running do-dads.... Wink Thanks Zoomy~ I thought of you when I HTFU'd...... Smile
                Ha, that's why I can't quit, either...my Garmin, shoes, et all would never let me! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great first race! My 5k goal is 30 minutes, and you're already there! I hope you get your aches and pains figured out - how frustrating. You have a positive attitude, so you should come through this OK.
                  JakeKnight

Great race! I looked at your log. I love the structure of your training, and the consistency. Just two obvious things to work on: 1) Run more 2) Run slower The first is obvious. Nothing helps like mileage. If you build up slow, easy mileage, you won't injure as easily, and you'll run faster (and easier). Work your way up to 20 miles a week, but don't change anything else. Take your time, do it gently. The second isn't as obvious. I noticed that your race pace was almost identical to many of your training runs. In fact, some of your recent "walks" were at the same pace. You're probably running too fast in training, especially if you're feeling hurt. Run easier. Take walk breaks. But run more. Your 5-k race pace should end up at least a couple minutes faster than your training runs. As for your shin splints and your heel - I'm back to the running slower. Running should hurt in a race, or in hard speed work (which you aren't doing - and shouldn't be). But you shouldn't be walking around injured. Get healthy, then go easy. And make sure your shoes are right. You'll be flying in no time. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Great race! I looked at your log. I love the structure of your training, and the consistency. Just two obvious things to work on: 1) Run more 2) Run slower The first is obvious. Nothing helps like mileage. If you build up slow, easy mileage, you won't injure as easily, and you'll run faster (and easier). Work your way up to 20 miles a week, but don't change anything else. Take your time, do it gently. The second isn't as obvious. I noticed that your race pace was almost identical to many of your training runs. In fact, some of your recent "walks" were at the same pace. You're probably running too fast in training, especially if you're feeling hurt. Run easier. Take walk breaks. But run more. Your 5-k race pace should end up at least a couple minutes faster than your training runs. As for your shin splints and your heel - I'm back to the running slower. Running should hurt in a race, or in hard speed work (which you aren't doing - and shouldn't be). But you shouldn't be walking around injured. Get healthy, then go easy. And make sure your shoes are right. You'll be flying in no time. Smile
                      Jake! I feel honored that you replied to my plight~ Thanks for the compliments to my training. I pride myself on the fact that I have been slow and consistent. This log reflects this year. I began running 9/07 with C25K. My foot is miserable as we speak. Heel is so sore upon standing up, I can barely stand on it. I fear the worst. If only i could get a straight answer from the running stores regarding my shoes, this will solve most if not all my trouble. am i in the right shoe? am I NOT in the right shoe.... sigh Sad I feel like I will be benched for a spell. Probably looking at a doc visit Monday.

Hey Chef Sandy, I am sorry to hear about your injury. Good job on your race. Internet diagnosis--it sounds like you may have tore your Plantar Facia tendon--or aggravated it. I am not a MD--and would tell you I played one in a high school play over 45 yrs ago--but that won't help much. Suggestions: If pain persists more than a day or 2--make an appointment with a sports medicine DR--maybe an atheletic Podiatrist. Atheletic medical folks carry more credibility than the sedentary ones. This next concept may have you stop reading my post. Try no running--minimal walking. Get to a indoor pool do some swimming--water running with a flotation device. You will get a good aerobic workout. Your prior issue with shin pain may well have weakened other tendons, etc--cause a little different stride that may have set up the situation you are now in. When things get feeling better--do yourself a favor and start a walking program--no running. Just walk--gentle stuff-no power walking. Build up over the following 6 weeks to where you vary your walking from 20 min to 90 minutes. If you do all that. I said 6 WEEKS! Hollar and I will tell you what to do next. If you are in this for the rest of your life--there is no real hurry. If you don't change what you have been doing--more than likely you are going to continue to have too many running related maladies. If that continues you will end up joining the world's largest running club--"I use to run but......club". Patience Grasshopper, patience. Your Friend--Nick
                          OMG! Now I really feel like a member of the RA family, because my Idol and mentor LRN has responded to me! Answer: Yes Coach. I will heed your advice, and I get longer into this day, I believe it is a significant injury, as motrin is not doing much but dulling the pain. This Whole time I have longed feared injury, only to get injured. I am seeking an athletic Ortho as we speak, as I feel I will be visiting them Monday Morning. In it for life? HELL YES. I have the biggest heart for running of any newbie out there. Swimming: No access to an indoor pool, without having to join the Y for that only. ( maybe I will be forced to) Walking program: I used to be a " Walker". Guess I will have to re-visit that arena again. sigh.... If it gets me back out there by late spring/summer, it will be worth it to me. I am so sad by all of this, but Nick, you make my heart smile. Thanks for taking me under your training wings. XXOO Cheffy

Cheffy, Cheffy, You make me smile. Now a tidbit from my meataphysical side. You become what you think about. Thoughts are things. You can choose your thoughts. Practice thinking health/inner peace. Absence of ease in one's life may lead to dis---ease. If you focus on injury--sometimes they show up more frequently. YEOW, I dispense this wisdom for free--only to special people though. I just sent you some healing light and love. Nick, a legend in my own mind
                              Cheffy, Cheffy, You make me smile. Now a tidbit from my meataphysical side. You become what you think about. Thoughts are things. You can choose your thoughts. Practice thinking health/inner peace. Absence of ease in one's life may lead to dis---ease. If you focus on injury--sometimes they show up more frequently. YEOW, I dispense this wisdom for free--only to special people though. I just sent you some healing light and love. Nick, a legend in my own mind
                              If I am ever lucky enough to meet you one day, I pledge to give you a hug so big it will make my husband Jealous~~~ Blush Shocked With Gratitude and Affection, Cheffy

Cheffy, way to give your first race your all! Smile Great time! My first was 36:00 and my face was so red from effort/heat my friend was afraid to talk to me! Evil grin Thank you for sharing and sorry about your heel. Take care of it, look into new shoes, and I am sure you will be good as new in no time! FWIW, I got shin splints when I experimented with Chi Running too...I think it was too much change too fast in regards to a heel strike to more of a forefoot strike, and I was running in a neutral shoe with the Chi Running (after I found out that stability shoes are not for me!). And though I think gradual improvements on form are good, I completely agree-don't mess with nature gave ya! Just try to make it work for you! Keep us filled in on your status... Take care!