Nike+ ?? (Read 1142 times)

A friend of mine asked me about the Nike+ system the other day, and I didn't have much to tell him since I haven't actually heard from anyone who has tried it out. So, specifically, if you've tried the Nike+ setup what do you think about: The shoe selection The accuracy (it's basically a pedometer, right?) The connection between the little pod and the receiver The information and interface you get from it all (in and out of iTunes I suppose) Cost/Value Also, any other thoughts that you might have. I can imagine being concerned about the battery life, the weight of the shoes, wear and tear, can you actually feel that little thing down there under your foot?, and a bunch of other things. I'll admit that I'm intrigued by the thought if it really does work and gives accurate data...but at the same time, I don't own a Nano, and would be loathe indeed to give up my Shuffle. It's really nice for running. Thanks!

~J

Just Be

Hey, where in the Bmore area do you live? We might be close if you're on the west side, especially outside 695! Smile A friend of mine had the Nike+ for about 3 months and it broke. He got it from a non authorized Apple distributor and someone had already registered the product over 1 year ago, so when he called to claim the hardware warranty it had already expired and Apple/Nike told him to hit the road (dumb pun intended Tongue ). His opinions of it based on the short convo I had with him about it were that it was extremely inaccurate, even after thorough calibration, and annoying to use (not sure why, I'd have to ask him the details on that one. I'm not sure if the Nike+ footpod is based on a pedometer design or an accelerometer, I'd guess the latter. I'm using a Polar RS200sd heart rate monitor which utilizes an accelerometer based footpod, and I've found it to be extremely accurate, even with hilly terrain, which by its nature should cause distance errors, but I haven't noticed any yet. Only complaint with that is that the auto calibrator doesn't work well, you need to manually calibrate it at a 1600m track by running at least 1 mile in lane 1 and adjusting the calibration number accordingly. Check out my website, http://designfate.com. Most of the data there was imported from my Polar heart rate monitor. Quite handy! Smile
        I used the Nike system just for fun last year. I had all the stuff except the little sensor, and I got it new and cheap on ebay. It was fun to have Lance encouraging me and telling me my final time, but the thing was NOT accurate. I use a Garmin (am actually addicted to it), which is extremely accurate. Also, I bought one of thos little cases to put the sensor in (the Nike) for use with non- Nike shoes. It kept coming open and dumping the sensor out onto the road! Stick with Garmin.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Since I didn't even know what a garmin was until last year and since I am not ready to cough up the dough for a Garmin, I have the Nike+. I got it maybe a year and a half ago and I use it with the orignal Nano. I don't like Nike shoes so I just got a little case to hold the "pod". I found that most the time it is reasonably accurate if you callibrate it correctly. It is handy because it is your music, watch, and disctance/pace calculator in one. I of course would love a garmin, but for the time being this works for me. The shoe selection: any shoe, have a little case that attaches to my laces that holds the pod The accuracy (it's basically a pedometer, right?): accelerometer...reasonably accurate The connection between the little pod and the receiver: no problems with connection The information and interface you get from it all (in and out of iTunes I suppose): ok, but I stopped using it when I found RA Cost/Value: I would say it is a fair price for what you get

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Since I didn't even know what a garmin was until last year and since I am not ready to cough up the dough for a Garmin, I have the Nike+. I got it maybe a year and a half ago and I use it with the orignal Nano. I don't like Nike shoes so I just got a little case to hold the "pod". I found that most the time it is reasonably accurate if you callibrate it correctly. It is handy because it is your music, watch, and disctance/pace calculator in one. I of course would love a garmin, but for the time being this works for me. The shoe selection: any shoe, have a little case that attaches to my laces that holds the pod The accuracy (it's basically a pedometer, right?): accelerometer...reasonably accurate The connection between the little pod and the receiver: no problems with connection The information and interface you get from it all (in and out of iTunes I suppose): ok, but I stopped using it when I found RA Cost/Value: I would say it is a fair price for what you get
            Ditto all this. I've been using mine a lot less lately for one reason. I have ventured away from music and into audiobooks and podcasts. My podcasts are 38 minutes each and the audiobooks tend to be around 1 hour for each "section" (I burn them off CDs checked out at the library). I have not been able to determine a way to seamlessly go from one podcast or chapter to the next -- the nano will simply start over the podcast/chapter at the beginning. I have to stop my workout and pick the next podcast/chapter and this drives me bonkers. Overall my complaint is rather stupid and menial, but that is my one complaint. Tongue Other than that I really like the Nike +. I don't have use for a Garmin yet because I only run outside one day a week. Tongue
            ---- Cynthia
            JakeKnight

http://runningahead.com/forums/post/74c5e6973ef14b80931527b63bbb79ba#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/02a0b19e3edb40c3aab50b685ae2ded2#focus http://runningahead.com/forums/post/3e0482cc445a4747b9e81cab6bda2fbd#focus All from the first page of a search. Probably plenty more info. It's an accelerometer. Bottom line: it works well for the price and it was fun for a while. A lot of good Nike stuff is now integrated with it - including the Equalon 2's, which are supposed to be awesome. They at least look pretty cool.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

For $30 it's fun, but after a while you'll realize you have paid for a device that measures what you already know. Smile If you're someone who logs runs a lot, it definitely gives you some useful yardsticks. I mostly liked mine while I used it and found it motivating, and after a while I found I didn't need its motivation. But there ain't a chance I'd buy Nike shoes to go with it (or a chance I'd buy Nike shoes, period). I slipped it under the front laces of my New Balances and never had a problem, and there are several inexpensive Velcro holders made specifically for it. The software was a tad buggy (it put you in a few endless loops when you tried to change music in midstream under certain conditions, I can't remember what) but they may have addressed that by now. Celebrity athletes talk to you on it after your runs, which I find more hilarious than inspiring. ("Gosh, Lance, you DO care!")
                Steve Boyett
                Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

I've been using mine a lot less lately for one reason. I have ventured away from music and into audiobooks and podcasts. My podcasts are 38 minutes each and the audiobooks tend to be around 1 hour for each "section"
                  They aren't mutually exclusive, though -- you can laugh through all the funny parts of Cormac McCarthy's The Road while running with your Nike+ lozenge.
                  Steve Boyett
                    I too have to ditto all that. Eventually I really really want a Garmin, but until then I like my $30 nike plus.
                    RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I am a guy who tried the Nike+ system four times because I really wanted it to work. I found it to be not as accurate as I would like. I think it all depends on how accurate you really need your run to be. For the money it is a great buy. I had real problems with it finding the sensor. It would drive me crazy with its inaccuracy. The voice is great when everything is right on but when it is off or won't start it will drive you insane. What finally made me stop was that I was on a 20 mile run one day and everything was working okay when all of a sudden it skipped like 5 miles. So it started telling me only 10 miles to go when I had 15 miles still to run. After a mile it was driving me crazy and I just turned the thing off. I have never used one again. I'm a garmin person now and never have once had a second thought about that purchase. I love the gaminator. Ironically I used to wear Asics when I had the Nike+ and now I wear Nike Peagus! Go figure.
                        2011 Goals:
                        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                        Since everyone else has covered the shoe stuff, I'll talk about the data collection and websites. The Nike+ website is terrible. Apparently, it hasn't seen any new features for quite a while, so I'm not sure how much longer Nike plans to support it. You can see charts of your runs, but they're not very helpful -- they don't label the axes, so you can't see your pace, and they smooth out pace changes a lot. The goals are fun -- I went running this morning so I could hit 30 miles in January. Smile The challenges are kind of stupid -- it's "which do you like better, cats or dogs?" kind of stuff. Or it's a personal challenge to see who runs the most miles in N amount of time, and assholes training for ultras come in and ruin the fun. Runner+ allows you to see higher detail charts, but they still don't label the axes. They're trying to do a social network, web 2.0 sort of deal, but they haven't hit critical mass. I wonder how much longer they'll be around, considering that it looks like the guy who operates the site has stopped running. Slowgeek.com has more detailed charts, but they're not operating a community. I don't know of any other sites that use Nike+ data -- please share if you do.
                        JakeKnight

The Nike+ website is terrible.
                          I loved the website. If I could have integrated with this place, I'd probably still be using it. Each to his own, I guess.
                          I found it to be not as accurate as I would like.
                          Did you actually calibrate it? At a track? Out of the box, it was off by as much as 10-15%. After calibration, it was off by no more than 100 yards in 26 miles.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

I've been using mine for a few months now. I like it. It's reasonably accurate, even when it has reset a couple of times and I ran without calibrating it. I use a little pocket designed to be strapped to the laces of a shoe instead of using Nikes.
                            JamnTri

Big grin I was excited about getting this device....... Confused since the last 12 times I've used it I've been grumpy with it. I've calibrated it twice on runs of a .25 and a mile. However it never seems to be consistent with my times. I live by my Polar and my known training pace, was just hoping to get with in .1 to .2 miles of vacation runs and adding detours to my runs. Accuracy: Poor if you don't have a consistent stride/gate. Fun=: It's cool to have a voice over your shoulder like Lance......The Girls voice needs updated or given some coffee. techy: EASY to use! I was amazed with the plug and play installation. Comparing too: Polar 520.... Not many more features on this, but the Calorie count is better accountable than on the Nike+. Would LOVE a Garmin......... Holder: Good Idea to purchase the holder for the receiver as well. I just picked up the Mareware on Amazon from Techngnet. I used it for the first time today. it's AWESOME. Snug and keeps IPOD drier than others. it also came with a Pod holder. The best I've used to date is the Otter Box...However not compliant for the Nike+. RunningaHead: First month trying the site: Two thumbs up for first month! Yes
                              dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Since everyone else has covered the shoe stuff, I'll talk about the data collection and websites. The Nike+ website is terrible. Apparently, it hasn't seen any new features for quite a while, so I'm not sure how much longer Nike plans to support it. You can see charts of your runs, but they're not very helpful -- they don't label the axes, so you can't see your pace, and they smooth out pace changes a lot. The goals are fun -- I went running this morning so I could hit 30 miles in January. Smile The challenges are kind of stupid -- it's "which do you like better, cats or dogs?" kind of stuff. Or it's a personal challenge to see who runs the most miles in N amount of time, and assholes training for ultras come in and ruin the fun.
                                Totally agree about the Nike site -- the navigation is awful, it's very nonintuitive, the functionality is mostly stoopid graphic displays, and it loads slower than glaciers race.
                                Steve Boyett