Before You Run (Read 1074 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Just curious... Wink What do you do before a run? Do you stretch? Do crunches or any core moves to warm up? Run a bit before your actual real run? What's the routine?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Since I run in the early am (5:30am to be exact) I get up at 5:15am, start getting ready and walk about the house a bit to loosen up. Set my Garmin in the window to find the sats and then head out the door. I normally go at a pretty easy pace for the first mile. I do some stretching when I return. Bob
      obiebyke

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Bob, that's discipline. It would be hard for me to get out the door at that hour. Tongue Obie, Thanks for the link. I don't know how I missed it. Wink ***Mods, this thread could be closed since that one is already up and active.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I drink a large glass of water and head out the door. My warm-up consists of a quarter mile of walking and a mile or so of easy running and cool down is just the quarter mile of walking. I gave up stretching several years ago after realizing it was doing more harm than good and replaced it with a longer warm-up period. Tom

Flat footer

I walk for 5 to 10 minutes then do some very minimal light stretching. Then I start running EZ for the first 1/2 mile. At the end of my run I walk for 5 to 10 and get a good stretch in. Note: A hand full of my runs during the week are done at 4:30 AM...
                I do pretty much what the others are saying. Most of my runs start up a hill (going away from my house) and since I dont like to start running up hills (at the beginning of a run), I usually walk it and then when I get to the top, I start my run. This gives me about 5 minutes to walk and get loosened up before I start running. Then I usually run the first 1/4 mile at a very slow pace until I feel really ready. After that I increase to a normal pace and take it from there. At the end of my runs, I usually walk for 5 minutes (maybe 10 if I have time) and cool off. Later in the evening I will nomally do some light stretching exercises and I have a little yoga routine that I will go thru. Hope this helps a little.

Champions are made when no one is watching

I start my runs off with a short walk since the start of the usual course I run at home doesn't begin till the end of my street. I don't stretch before I run but I do try to stretch after a run and every now and then I attempt to get back on track with pushups and such. But I'm not very disciplined so that never lasts long. Big grin

Michelle

I walk a qtr mile and then light stretching before I run.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Since I run in the early am (5:30am to be exact) I get up at 5:15am, start getting ready and walk about the house a bit to loosen up. Set my Garmin in the window to find the sats and then head out the door. I normally go at a pretty easy pace for the first mile. I do some stretching when I return. Bob
                      x2. minus the Garmin (I don't have one). Only other thing I add are toe taps to warm up the shins.

jeffdonahue

I usually get up about 10-15 minutes before I need to leave and try to walk around (without waking the kids) to loosen up. Most of my runs I will drive to the gym or to where my running club meets which also gives my body a bit of time to wake up. If I have time I may do some very light stretching beforehand, depending on how stiff I feel when I wake up.
                          Set my Garmin in the window to find the sats and then head out the door.
                          Brilliant idea! You win the genius award today (in my books at least). I am going to do this from now on... no more unlogged running for me! Simply brilliant.

Oh Mighty Wing

I walk to my start point and off I go. My runs start slower as my legs loosen up. I walk a little at the end, but not anything significant. I stretch when i'm done if i feel the need.
                              Brilliant idea! You win the genius award today (in my books at least). I am going to do this from now on... no more unlogged running for me! Simply brilliant.
                              Sparky, I cant take credit for that one as I think I read about it here on the site. I got tired of standing on the curb for a couple of minutes waiting to find the sats. Now it is finding them while I put my shoes on and get ready. Bob

If I run in the morning, I eat my first breakfast then head out the door. If I run at any other time, I eat a snack and then head out the door. Stretching is for after I'm done. I just run slowly when I start in order to warm up.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)