Finishing Strong On Easy Runs (Read 967 times)

~Gordo~

I have been trying to take Jake and almost everyone else's advice about slowing down training runs and adding more quality runs/miles. My only question is, should I still run the last part of those runs strong. I do that now and I like doing it because I THINK it helps when I race since that is what I always want to do -- finish strong. Perhaps its better to just keep the same pace for the whole run....your thoughts? ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
      I personally like to do strides once a week. It helps with running economy and it brushes the cobwebs off so my legs remember what it feels like to go at a faster pace. Fartlek runs are another of my favorites as well. Kind of like strides but longer.
      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
        OK, I am no expert but my 2 cents follows. Instead of kicking the last 150-200 meters in your everyday run try and make the last mile your fastest...pickup the pace for the last mile or 4 miles (depending on your run). I had a natural good kick in HS, I knew I could outsprint most people the last 100 if I was anywhere close. My adversary (the kid I always battled 1st and 2nd for) he figured out that I was just naturally faster in the end. Every race was the same for me...let him set the pace and stay within 20 ft and out-kick him in the end...When he figured it out he began running faster and faster as the race progressed...to the point that I simply couldn't keep him close enough in the last 200 meters. I will never forget hearing our splits as we would make a lap...72, 70, 68,...and I was done. but I was a showout and having a big kick at the end looked and felt great...but steady increase of pace won the race. I never one another race, always 2nd. I have vowed to run like that now...pace myself to steadily get stronger as the distance increases w/o laying all out for 100-200 meters. Lastly, I have left and come back to running probaly 6 times since HS...everytime I quit it is b/c I get hurt sprinting at the end of a 5 mile run just to get 20 more calories burned. Now, if you have a natural great kick and you are racing...kick it out...If you want to train to have good kick...200's are great as well as 600's...concentrate on form and switching from distance form to sprint form (more emphasis on arm movement)
        2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think it's better to have any fast running in the middle of your run, whether it be strides, tempo, fartlek, or intervals. Then finish easy as a cool-down. Sprinting at the end of a run usually means that you go from full speed to a stop with no cooldown. Which is something I try to avoid.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I THINK it helps when I race since that is what I always want to do -- finish strong.
            Your thinking is correct. Bringing in the last 1/2 mile, mile, two miles or maybe even a bit more at, say, half-marathon or marathon pace builds strength, teaches you to run with tired legs, and gives a lot of confidence. Don't sprint, and don't force yourself if you feel it on any particular day.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

A Saucy Wench

Every once in awhile at the end of a long run I will kick it up for the last mile or 2...usually when I feel really good or find myself doing it without thinking about it and then I will try to maintain it. The long run is a quality workout and not preparation for a hard session, so a little extra hard work here has little impact on my next "important" run. I try really hard NOT to do it on short easy days. Easy days are for recovery. They are easy so of course you have something left in the tank at the end. But if the next day is supposed to be an interval day (or other quality work), I may be taking away something from my quality workout by finishing too hard.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I run for Fried Chicken!

I don't do an all out sprint at the end but I'll quite often run the last .5 mile at a 30-60 sec pace faster than an easy run. I feel like it's a good way to end a run plus it's almost like a reward for the slower base miles. Something else you might want to try, I think it's called progressive runs. Start out at a slower pace and speed up through out the run. I do this quite often on my runs and it also makes my runs more interesting.

A Saucy Wench

I like progressions a lot. I will do those on days I am not mentally up to a tempo or intervals but I still want a speed day. I also like them as my last med/long run ~ 3 days before a race. I'll usually divvy up the miles so I increase by about 0:15 each section with the last section at goal race pace (and then a little cool down). Thanks for the reminder I havent done these much lately. They are also good if you have been doing mostly LSD and base building as a way to ease your way in to speed & stamina work.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

~Gordo~

Thank you for all the inputs. I do intervals and fartleks. I don't do tempo runs, and at this point I don't think I will. They just aren't "fun" for me. But I may try some of the other suggestions to change things up a bit. Thanks again. ~Gordo
                    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

I finish my easy runs with a walk. Then again, I finish all of my runs with a walk.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thank you for all the inputs. I do intervals and fartleks. I don't do tempo runs, and at this point I don't think I will. They just aren't "fun" for me. But I may try some of the other suggestions to change things up a bit. Thanks again. ~Gordo
                        You can add me to the list of those who think you should slow down most of your runs. The reason normally given is greater risk of injury, and rightly so, but another important one is that it is just not as effective to run so close to your race pace all the time. I think you'd be much better off if you increased your total mileage a bunch and focused on 2 days each week as key workout days when you run harder. All the other days can be easy running, e.g. 2 minutes per mile slower than you can race a 5k at. If you could get your mileage up to about 36 mpw or so with a 3rd of it in a single long run, I think you'd see significant improvement. I'm not talking about once in while--I mean get to that level and hold it there week after week. Pushing the end of your easy runs? I think it's ok to pick it up a little, but I'd save anything hard at all for key workout days. Even your key days don't mean hammering your brains out either, btw.. There are some good tables (Daniels, McMillan, etc.) that give you an idea of workout paces based on current race times.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          I don't do it... I think for me... I try not to think about racing at all on my easy days. I too finish my runs with a walk... usually 3-5 minutes... If I just run nice and easy for the sake of not beating up my body... if I run easy all the way to the end... I DO finish strong... and live to run another day.

Prince of Fatness

If you could get your mileage up to about 36 mpw or so with a 3rd of it in a single long run, I think you'd see significant improvement. I'm not talking about once in while--I mean get to that level and hold it there week after week.
                            This sums my running up nicely. I think the week after week part is key, and you can only do it week after week if you keep the easy runs easy. At least that's been my experience. I am just now learning how important a consistent mileage base is. My speed work is mostly tempos. I'll fast finish those and long runs on occasion. I feel that doing that is very helpful at the end of the race when you need to pick it up. But everything else is easy.

Not at it at all. 

Hoodoo Guru

I like finishing my easy runs with a little faster pace running. Depending on how I feel, the distance may be 100 yards or it may be 1/2 mile. But I love the feeling of finishing after running fast.

The tangents are moot.

finney

Resident pinniped

I find doing it puts too much emphasis on speed for me, which carries over into entire runs that are supposed to be "easy", which ends up with me getting injuries. I don't see any point to it anyway. Easy runs are supposed to be easy. I too usually end any run with about 5-7 minutes of walking to loosen up and cool down, if I don't I end up super stiff.