Question for C25K Finishers (Read 1055 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Question to those who have completed C25K... Did you finish in 9 weeks or did you repeat weeks and take longer? At the end of the program, could you run 5K/3 miles in 30 minutes? Or maybe how long did it take before you could? MTA: At the end of the program, could you run the full 30 minutes without walking?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

obiebyke

Hey Meg, It took me longer than the prescribed number of weeks. Like many new runners, I had some shin splint and shoe issues. I'm still not running 3 miles in 30 minutes! It's really an either/or thing, remember. You do it by time OR distance. The goal is building endurance, not getting to a 10 minute mile. Does that make sense? Just as a benchmark for you, I'm on week 8 of One Hour Runner, and my longest is 3.64 miles is 45 minutes. But my 30 minute run yesterday was only 2.44 miles.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Meg, I repeated quite a few weeks. To be honest, I think it took me about 6 months before I could run 30 minutes. I'm a slow learner! I was running consistently, too. 20 minutes was a hard barrier for me to cross. I finished in April 2007. This morning I ran 11 miles, so I finally got the hang of things. Smile MTA: My fastest 5k time is still 30:12. Getting there!

Run the race God set B4U

My best time for 5K's have been 33:20. I ran it in practice at 32:09 on Monday and that felt great. Right now I'm just working on endurance instead of time.
          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for sharing your numbers! I'm still a long ways off from finishing; my next run is w3d2, but it's nice to have some perspective on how real runners have done with it instead of just numbers on a training chart. Keep the experiences coming. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Former runner

I just completed my first 5k and it took me about 10 weeks to get to that point. My time was 32:24 but I'm not really concerned with speeding up yet. The first few weeks are the toughest.

Ross

My experience was a lot like Teresa's - it was almost 9 months before I felt like I'd really made it. I found it a real struggle, because so many of the beginner's programs are 12 weeks or less and although they all say "don't worry if you need to repeat a week", they don't really quantify what that means in reality - so for a long time, I thought I was doing something wrong, whereas I just needed a lot longer than average. Up until it kicked in at the 9month point, I was very frustrated - I remember posting on another board "are there some people who just can't run"?, because my experience seemed to be so bloody slow and miserable compared to the perky stories of people who seemed to go from 0-60 in a couple of months. At the end of the program, I was able to run 3miles without walking, but at 13-14mm mile pace, so nothing like 30mins. Even now, four months after completing the program, I am still only running at a little over 11mm pace, but the improvement from 14 to 11 came fast (only a couple of months).
                  I just completed my first 5k and it took me about 10 weeks to get to that point. My time was 32:24 but I'm not really concerned with speeding up yet. The first few weeks are the toughest.
                  See, this is the kind of perky person - 0-60 in a couple of months - that I was talking about! Wink Big grin
                    I started the C25K program last September. It took me 10 or 11 weeks to finish. My first 5k time was 34:40 and I was stunned (that seemed fast to me!). I just ran my second 5k on May 3rd and my time was 29:10! Smile So, it took me 6 months to get the 30 minute part, but only 11 weeks to get the 5k part. Wink I ran slow, still do. I think it is the key to why I actually stuck with it.

http://www.runningnotes.net

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

It took me 12 weeks to finish the program, and I could run the 30 minutes--and cover a little under 2 miles (16-17 minute miles). I did One Hour Runner next and ended up doing a little over three miles at the end of the program (15-16 minute miles). I then switched to mileage-based training, grabbed a beginner plan and added miles. 9 months into running, I ran my fist 5k and was floored by my time (31:10), but that came after months of seventeen minute miles and time on my feet (my log doesn't have the c25k or most of OHR). Don't worry about going slow or repeating weeks-- as you add mileage and time on your legs, speed comes naturally and healthfully. Chris

Chris
                      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

A Saucy Wench

Most of the people I know who did C25K had to repeat weeks. The rule of thumb I give friends who ask me about it is that at the end of each week you should feel like you could have done more. If you dont, repeat. FWIW I ran for years and even completed my first marathon and still couldnt run a 5K in under 30 minutes. Well that isnt exactly true, I think in my 20's I might have been able to, but i never kept track. But since I started paying attention in 2004. Speed sometimes takes a lot of time to develop.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ennay, thanks for sharing about your 5k time. It's encouraging to me! Today, DH said, "Don't even think about a marathon." I told him it's too late, I've already thought about it! He didn't say anything. Probably hopes I'll forget about it.

Jazz hands!

I did C25K last year (finished in June, I think) and my 5k is still around 40 minutes, but I've been kind of lazy about running recently. The thing to remember is that it's supposed to be minutes OR miles--not 3 miles in 30 mintues! I did repeat a week, though I forget which one. I distinctly remember that week 3, day 1 was the hardest run I've ever done.
                            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                              I'm on the same page with lots of previous posters...Let's see, I started running last July, and did my first 5K in January in about 40 minutes! It's been a long slow road, and will continue to be that way I think. Don't let it get to you when you hear other people say things like "Wow, that C25K took forever, 9 whole weeks before I could run my 25 minute 5K" I definitely don't do 10 minute miles, although I can run well over 30 minutes without walking now, which I consider a huge victory by itself. Run your own road, right? Smile
                              Heroes never die. They just reload.
                                I just started running in Oct 07. I didn't actually do the c25k program, but I'm sure what I did was similar. My first race was actually a 10k in April. I got a really bad side stitch the second half, ran it in 1:04. Ran my first 5k the very next weekend and did much better with a 28:51. I have another 5k in a few weeks and hope to beat it. So it took me 6 months to run a race.