Ordering road race T-shirts (Read 854 times)

mikeymike

I've been given a few action items from last night's summer 5k planning meeting (and beer drinking session.) One is researching cheaper options for road race T's than the local shirt and trophy shop. This is a first year, local-yokel, summer weeknight 5K race. We're expecting 200 people tops (tho that could change.) We want to keep costs down and try to generate some money for the cause. The mission of the org that's putting this on is to seek private sector funds to enhance outdoor recreation opportunities for local kids. This is one of a handful of revenue-generating activates throughout the year. We're not going crazy with the shirts. Standard cotton t with logos on it. Anyone have experience in ordering those quantities as inexpensively as possible? Thanks!

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

Our club recently ordered white T's with the club logo on the chest...we bought 100 for $354.58. The shirts are just fine! The price included a screen charge and a fil charge (2 each @ $10, for a total of $40). I don't believe you can do much better than that. The company name is KMG Marketing and a number there is 972-818-5500 or website www.kmgmkt.com Good luck! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

All I can say is sometimes going cheap you get a crappy shirt. I found this out in college when I ordered a bunch a shirts for a club (non running). The previous shirt place was charging $8.5 for the shirt because they did not have all the old artwork. The place I went with charged $5 and threw in the artwork for that price.. The artwork and shirt quality were lousy... I personally like cotton/poly blend shirts over 100% cotton. They last longer, seem cooler, and you do not have to worry as much about about wrinkles.

Vim

Mike, A few suggestions... Shirts are the largest expense for any small race. The best way to cover your costs is to find sponsors. For the last five years, the back of our race shirts has the AAA logo with the local insurance agent's name on it. A little tacky, but, he pays for all the shirts. Our race also supports a kids charity, so, it's good PR for him. In previous years, we've had a block of 12 sponsors on the back - each one throws in $150 as a donation to our charity. We acknowledge their generosity by a "Thanks to our sponsors..." and their names listed on the back. More than 12 gets a little crazy. I think www.racedirectors.org is a good resource. They charge to join, but, if you contact them with a question, they'll give you free consultation. If your email is listed as a race director on any web site, you will be inundated with solicitors for shirts. If your phone is listed, they will call. At least that's been my experience. These vendors can give you pretty competitive prices. I'd give you some examples but I delete everyone that comes in. We do use a local vendor who is more expensive than the big vendors, but, we figure it's important to help out the small business person. Good luck with your race! Let me know if I can be of any help. I'm happy to share my experiences as a race director for what it's worth. Ken
            BTW...Lynn's recommendation is a good one. I doubt you'll find anything cheaper. $350 for 100 shirts is a deal.
            mikeymike

Thanks guys. I'm getting a quote from KMG right now. Ken we are definitely thinking of doing sponsors logos on the back to defray costs--we probably will do that. We already have one title sponsor and a couple of minor ones too. If we could get a couple others the shirts will be paid for. For us, timing will probably be our biggest line item, with shirts, police detail and port-a-potties the other significant costs. We may end up going with a small local vendor for the shirts afterall because we will likely get the medals/trophies from them and will look to get a deal for sponsorship as well...not sure. I'm not the race director per se, although I am taking care of most of the "race specific" details, since the guy organizing it is not a runner.

Runners run

mikeymike

Our club recently ordered white T's with the club logo on the chest...we bought 100 for $354.58. The shirts are just fine! The price included a screen charge and a fil charge (2 each @ $10, for a total of $40). I don't believe you can do much better than that. The company name is KMG Marketing and a number there is 972-818-5500 or website www.kmgmkt.com Good luck! Lynn B
                Thanks Lynn! We orded them from KMG and they came out just fine. Our goal was to keep costs down for year 1.

Runners run

You'll ruin your knees!

Has the race already happened? Is it too late to enter? Can I get a Large shirt? Can you mail it to me? Why aren't the results out yet? How deep do the age group awards go? Why don't you have a clydesdale category? Why don't you use chip timing? Is the course measured accurately? Why doesn'tthe course distance match my Garmin? Clowning around Tongue Wink Big grin Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

mikeymike

Has the race already happened?
                    No, it's next Thursday.
                    Is it too late to enter?
                    No. See.
                    Can I get a Large shirt?
                    You may not want one when you see it, but okay.
                    Can you mail it to me?
                    Sure.
                    Why aren't the results out yet?
                    See above. There are no results yet.
                    How deep do the age group awards go?
                    2-deep. 18 and under, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49 and 50+. It's a first year race.
                    Why don't you have a clydesdale category?
                    Obviously because we don't like heavy people.
                    Why don't you use chip timing?
                    The economics don't support it for a race this size. Maybe next year.
                    Is the course measured accurately?
                    Yes, as long as the volunteers lay it out the way I measured it...part of it is on grass and this might be tricky. It won't be long, lets put it that way.
                    Why doesn't the course distance match my Garmin?
                    Because your Garmin is in Texas.

Runners run