Can someone 'splain this weird building to me? (Read 941 times)

xor

I am staying in a hotel with 44 floors.

I am staying on the 25th floor.

The elevator stops at every floor... except the 25th floor.

For rooms on the 25th floor, one is supposed to take the elevator to 26, and then take a special set of stairs down one flight to the cluster of 25th floor rooms.  Note that this special set of stairs only goes one flight... it is for this specific purpose, it isn't like fire stairs that go to all floors.

If one takes the elevator to the 24th floor, there are no stairs to get you to 25.  My fire instructions inform me to go up to 26 in order to catch the fire stairs that go all the way down.

Undecided

I am assuming that there is some weird structural (or firebreak) thing at the top of the 24th or 25th floor?  Maybe this used to be the roof?  In fact, there are two sets of elevators... one for floors 2-24.  One for floors 26-44.

What gives????

(the hotel staff tried to play this up as being on the "private secluded floor")

BIS

High Horse

Commonly referred to as the "red headed stepchild floor"

This is the floor they place undesirable guests they don't want to subject everyone else to. 

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

xor

Well.duh. they called it "the secluded floor." ha

Kalsarikännit

How do the maids get their carts and all their tons of towel and linens there?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

srl,

I would hazard a guess that the 25th floor was originally designed to be the mechanical floor, not intended for occupation. Some of the space was likely retrofitted to include additional guest rooms after the mechanical systems were upgraded and changed (newer is typically more efficient and smaller as far as these types of systems go.)

As far as maids carts, there should be a service elevator, that would have originally served the mechanical space, (ie 25th floor). The service elevator being 'back of house' would not be available for use by the guests.

Now that is all an educated guess, since I do not know the history of the building. But you are right, they are selling you a pile of bullshit.

xor

Weird thing... I dont see a secret door that might be hiding a service elevator. all doors seem to be rooms! i guess I will find out da deal on housekeeping tomorrow. except, no I wont...work beckons.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

SRL what happened to John Belushi?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Fanilow

Maybe that Eagles song wasn't about drugs after all.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

xor

He's on a break.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

They moved the thirteenth floor to the twentyfifth and reduced access so the superstious wouldn't be afraid.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

He died of a drug overdose.  I hate for you to have to hear it this way.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ah you wanted a serious answer:

25th is clearly where they put the 'special' guests, like a chinese finger puzzle.

xor

Ah you wanted a serious answer:

25th is clearly where they put the 'special' guests, like a chinese finger puzzle.

Sly, actually I was looking for serious answers!  And thank you for your previous thoughts.

So far they haven't treated me like a chinese finger puzzle, but it is early yet.

RunJasonRun

Wasn't there a building like this in the movie, No Country For Old Men?

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

On On

The building was originally constructed in 1984 as an apartment building containing only 43 floors.  That original company went bankrupt and sold it off in 1991 or so.  It was then condos for awhile then sold off to be a hotel.

When it became a hotel they change the layout of the floors and added the 44th floor in the middle of the hotel.  The original floor plan had 2 floor suites and they changed the design to accommodate more rooms.  The building went from 580 rooms to 596.

Or something like that.  Got that from a few seconds on google and reading through a few documents.