Trail Running & Hunting Season (Read 684 times)

I've got a couple of forest routes I try to get out to at least twice a week. Massachusetts is in the middle of bow season for deer. Come the end of the month the hunters with shotguns will be heading out looking for Bambi. Question for other trail runners. What kind of adjustments do you make during your state's various hunting seasons? In Massachusetts there's no hunting on Sundays but, that's not the most convenient day for me to drive out to the woods. I do wear an orange vest.
      What kind of adjustments do you make during your state's various hunting seasons?
      I don't run in any hunting areas, but I leave my antler hat at home during hunting season.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

One of the main reasons I run trails is to enjoy the scenery and surroundings and solitude. When it is hunting season, it makes me too nervous to be out there, even though the chances of something happening are probably rare. Being on edge the whole time takes away the enjoyment of being out there, so I either stick to the roads during that time, or go to a public park and run trails where there are no hunters allowed. Wearing an orange safety vest is probably a good idea if you're gonna venture out there.

Another Passion

One of the main reasons I run trails is to enjoy the scenery and surroundings and solitude. When it is hunting season, it makes me too nervous to be out there, even though the chances of something happening are probably rare. Being on edge the whole time takes away the enjoyment of being out there, so I either stick to the roads during that time, or go to a public park and run trails where there are no hunters allowed. Wearing an orange safety vest is probably a good idea if you're gonna venture out there.
          I think this is the most wise option. Just as much as a runner enjoys the peace and solitude of a trail run in a wooded area, many/most of the hunters enjoy this aspect of their venture as well and, a hunter's orange clad jogger dashing by their blind/stand would be a most unwelcomed intrusion into their outdoor experience. So, out of respect for the hunters and their outdoor experience (not to mention you may have just spooked the buck of a lifetime away from a hunter that has been out there for years waiting for that one "shining moment") and, with safety in mind, I would suggest it best to stay out of the woods till the deer seasons have passed. Likewise, the hunters shouldn't sight in their rifles on a 10k race course. Big grin

Rick
          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Imminent Catastrophe

I wear an orange longsleeve tech shirt during hunting season. Of course, the remainder of the year is poaching season around here.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

So, out of respect for the hunters and their outdoor experience (not to mention you may have just spooked the buck of a lifetime away from a hunter that has been out there for years waiting for that one "shining moment") and, with safety in mind, I would suggest it best to stay out of the woods till the deer seasons have passed.
              That's a valid point I hadn't thought of before. One of the forests is a state forest with no dwellings around. Very prime territory for deer. I've got a long run planned in there for Sunday (no hunting on Sundays) & that'll wrap it up for the season. The other route is a town forest that abuts a lot of houses. I don't think it's a very popular forest for hunters because of all the dwellings. They're bigger forest in towns to go hunt but, if I start to see the telltale signs of pickup trucks with racks in the parking lot I'll cool it there too.
                I'd stay out of the woods during hunting season. You would have to be pretty fast to out run an arrow or bullet. Just hope Chuck Norris in not in the area... Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing. Don't cover yourself in deer urine. You will have more than hunters to deal with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy2XGOYFD2M

Me and my gang in Breck

I stay out of the woods during hunting season except for Sundays. You never no when VP Cheney might be in the woods hunting.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

I take hunting season off from running. It's my off-season so I use the opportunity to get back into the weight room and pool habit, which usually gets dropped as I get close to the final marathon of the year.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

I stay out of the woods during hunting season except for Sundays. You never no when VP Cheney might be in the woods hunting.
                      Yeah, there are a lot of hunters with a drinking problem, or Drinkers with a hunting problem...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I don't run in any hunting areas, but I leave my antler hat at home during hunting season.
                        HAHAHAH
                        2009: BQ?