Shoes not fitting anymore (Read 643 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Suddenly buying shoes and finding that the size 9 I have worn forever isn't fitting well anymore, even in shoe brands/ styles that I have worn for previously. Am wondering if not the length of the foot but maybe the muscles in the foot can grow to the point that shoes no longer fit well. It actually doesn't always feel quite so bad in the length but more the forefoot width. Either that or makers have slimmed up shoes across the industry Confused Curious if this is known or experienced by others. Thx.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      I think its more likely shoe companies effing with sizing. I used to reliably be in 10s, 10.5s, depending on brands, until recently. Now, I am in 11s most of the time.
        Dunno, but I SWEAR my shoes don't fit right anymore. All of a sudden its like they're too small. I have to have the laces as loose as possible for my fat steaks to fit in them. They don't even have 200 miles on them yet, but I really feel like I might need a new shoe already. They're Adidas Bostons. But I know you're just talking about differences in sizes of new shoes

Old, Slow, Happy

I have changed from a size 12 to a size 12.5 after running for five years. At first my feet got smaller since I lost about 100 lbs. Not shorter, but smaller. I had much more lace length to contend with. About a year ago I moved up 1/2 size in length. One of my friends that has been a runner longer than I have asked me if my feet changed sizes yet. He think it's normal for them to get longer.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

My feet have definitely gotten bigger since I started running two years ago. I wear larger sizes of dress shoes and running shoes now.
              No, it's definitely not the shoe companies. NONE of the shoes I bought before I started running fit anymore. Dress shoes, hiking boots, old tennis shoes. All too small now. Most of them were just too tight, the hiking boots, I can't even get my feet in anymore.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Collapsing arches

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

TJoseph

Collapsing arches
                  I agree with this. My Dad used to wear a size 9 when he was my age (45). Now he wears a size 11 or larger. He has always had flat feet and I think they finally just gave out completely. I am sure the same thing will eventually happen to me. I got my bad feet from him.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Collapsing arches
                    Ooh, that's pleasant. Shocked I never would have thought of that.

Old, Slow, Happy

Collapsing arches
                      Mine's not from collapsing arches. My arches are too flat to collapse.

Hoodoo Guru

Put me in the "now wearing one size larger" group.

The tangents are moot.

Menace to Sobriety

Same here, but look at it this way: Time and age will make your feet get larger, running probably accelerates this. Time and age will also make your ass get larger, but running will reduce or negate this. I'll take bigger shoes over bigger pants, thank you. Smile

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Giants Fan

Wow, I was just talking about this the other day! Now I feel a little more normal!! Big grin

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Geesh, maybe my fat steaks are a little bigger afterall. Ohhh man that really sucks! I have a hard enough time finding shoes as it is
                              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Same here, but look at it this way: Time and age will make your feet get larger, running probably accelerates this. Time and age will also make your ass get larger, but running will reduce or negate this. I'll take bigger shoes over bigger pants, thank you. Smile
                                Love it! As I added mileage went from 10-15 mpw to 25-30 mpw I went up 1.5 shoe sizes. I think it's something natural that happens while running. Oddly enough, my dress shoe size remained the same, but after losing two toenails I gave in and went up the sizes in sneaks.

Chris
                                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k