Carmel, IN marathon anyone (Read 1024 times)

C-R

Here is the link for those interested.

http://carmelmarathon.com/pages/home

I am very tempted just because Spaniel and C-R are running it and beer and BBQ are involved.  However, I am back at Indy in Sept due to my wife registering and then not being able to race that weekend.  If they have strong winds again like they did last year I am never coming back to that race :-)

C-R  I feel like it has been a long time since I have seen anything from you.  How goes the running?

Cincy is only a 2 hour drive. Same day capable.

I will run this but it's five days after Boston so basically its a stunt for me and a chance to get one more level on my Marathon Maniac ladder. Why do I see this being one those "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time." type events for me?

And BT, you are correct that this is run on lots of bike paths off the main roads. We are pretty fortunate to have a great trail system here in town. 

Also, I can make certain my kids throw water balloons at you when you pass our house. You know - some Hooiser Hospitality. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I have paid for this race and want to make it my goal marathon for 2012 ... but I just had a scary thought ~ I had some friends go to a Packer Game at Indy years ago ... Noon Game ... No beer could be served before noon ... I kow silly right.

Can I get a beer ASAP post race or will I have to wait until noon on Saturday too? 

A follow up very important question ~ Will the race serve beer and if so real beer or something pretending to be beer like Mic-Ultra?

If no post race beer ~ is there a bar really close to finish line?

I need to sort out these details before I can go all in ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I have paid for this race and want to make it my goal marathon for 2012 ... but I just had a scary thought ~ I had some friends go to a Packer Game at Indy years ago ... Noon Game ... No beer could be served before noon ... I kow silly right.

Can I get a beer ASAP post race or will I have to wait until noon on Saturday too? 

A follow up very important question ~ Will the race serve beer and if so real beer or something pretending to be beer like Mic-Ultra?

Given your propensity to run long distances, the short hop from the finish line to C-R's house for great beer, should satiate your concern if there is only decent beer nearer to the finish.

You cannot buy alcohol in Indiana on Sundays to drink in the safety of your own home (thank the liquor store lobby who does not want to have to staff their stores 7 days per week).  However, on Sundays you can go get loaded at a restaurant/bar and then drive home.  Stupid, right?

C-R is connected.  Perhaps he can have a cooler stashed for us.  We were drinking Chimay after Indy in 2010, within sight of the finish line.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

We serve copious amount of beer all hours on Saturday in this great state. So no issue there. Beer should be available immediately and if the keg isn't tapped, we can leave a post race goodie bag for you while you wait for us slow pokes to finish.

Good question on the race beer type. I will ask the RD at our run on Sat but he was talking about one of the local breweries making a special brew just for the race. Since this is very important for all of us, I will keep this high on my To  Do list. 

There are a couple of bars close to the finish line. One of which is a favorite Irish pub I visit. 

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Given your propensity to run long distances, the short hop from the finish line to C-R's house for great beer, should satiate your concern if there is only decent beer nearer to the finish.

You cannot buy alcohol in Indiana on Sundays to drink in the safety of your own home (thank the liquor store lobby who does not want to have to staff their stores 7 days per week).  However, on Sundays you can go get loaded at a restaurant/bar and then drive home.  Stupid, right?

C-R is connected.  Perhaps he can have a cooler stashed for us.  We were drinking Chimay after Indy in 2010, within sight of the finish line.

Right to. Trust me this Irish German guy will find a way to have some post race brew available.

DoppleBock

Fair enough

I need to stop think about beer for awhile ~ 30# in 86 days = 1,220 calorie per day deficiet.  Hard to fit empty beer calories into those parameters.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. Better to drink good beer...

Cincy is only a 2 hour drive. Same day capable.

I will run this but it's five days after Boston so basically its a stunt for me and a chance to get one more level on my Marathon Maniac ladder. Why do I see this being one those "Well it seemed like a good idea at the time." type events for me?

And BT, you are correct that this is run on lots of bike paths off the main roads. We are pretty fortunate to have a great trail system here in town. 

Also, I can make certain my kids throw water balloons at you when you pass our house. You know - some Hooiser Hospitality. Big grin

funny! I think my son would love the water balloons if your house is on the 8K route.

Btw, I'm originally from Indiana (Decatur). I moved to this God forsaken state after graduating from "THE Indiana University."

The Carmel marathon peaked my interest because it brought back memories Carmel HS dominating in XC. Plus I have a sister living in Fishers and it gives me a chance to visit her and her family.  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Well crap. I was planning on running the Race for the Cure 5K, but if everyone is going to be at the Carmel Marathon I may just have to run the Carmel Half or 8K instead.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

Cheers, I'll drink to that!

Well crap. I was planning on running the Race for the Cure 5K, but if everyone is going to be at the Carmel Marathon I may just have to run the Carmel Half or 8K instead.

C-R

Cheers, I'll drink to that!

Aren't you in training DB?

Alright ra. Another seat for the BBQ table.

Ostrich runner

There is one large and notable caveat to the Sunday Indiana blue law - beer is available for sale at places that brew on premises. There is a limit per transaction, but not per day. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Angolajones

Beer is available at any place that serves food in Indiana on Sunday. 

Jonesy

Indy Mini in May

Warrior Dash in August

MDI in October

Feeling the growl again

Beer is available at any place that serves food in Indiana on Sunday. 

Jonesy

So does McDonalds serve Bud or Miller?  I'll supersize that.   Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

Its a fast course. Should be well organized. I'll be running it. If you want more details, drop me a line.

If enough RA folks run it, there will be a post party bbq at my place. 2.5 miles from the start finish line.

That's incentive! Cool