How much is too heavy to lift? (Read 302 times)

Only recently did I start incorporating some core and strength training, and I really feel like it was a good idea. Currently I bicep and hammer curl 25 lbs on each arm, and chest press 40 lbs on each arm (dumbbells). I do 200 lbs as my one-rep bench max (I'm 5'5"-5'6" and 130).  Does this sound at least decent?

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

Buzz-

Only recently did I start incorporating some core and strength training, and I really feel like it was a good idea. Currently I bicep and hammer curl 25 lbs on each arm, and chest press 40 lbs on each arm (dumbbells). I do 200 lbs as my one-rep bench max (I'm 5'5"-5'6" and 130).  Does this sound at least decent?

I started incorporating some weights into my workouts this year also.  I'll tell you what I've learned.

You've got to think in terms of how many reps and how many sets you do.  Similar to running.  If you say that you run a mile in x minutes... that's fine, but how many miles are you running in a workout?  1 or 20?  Big difference.

There are some great resources out there.  Both of the ones I'm going to recommend strongly prefer the use of free weights over machines.  "Starting Strength" is a classic book often recommended to beginners.

Starting Strength on Amazon

I've been using a very similar program called StrongLifts 5x5.  It has a lot of the same concepts of Starting Strength, but also has a smartphone app that lets you track your workouts.  The basic premise is you warm up, then do 5 reps for 5 sets of a given exercise (hence 5x5).  There are only two workouts.  One does squats, bench press, and rows.  The other does squats, overhead press, and deadlift.  (Deadlift is the exception and 1 x 5).  Each workout progressively adds weight until you max out and can't complete all 5 sets at a given weight.  At that point, back up a bit and keep trying to go up.  (I'm probably going to modify it so I plateau for several workouts.)

Stronglifts website

Both of these are basic strength training.  Neither are highly specific bodybuilding programs.

My experience has been that keeping up with running and weights (especially squats) on alternate days is tough.  I run 3x per week with my long run on Friday or Saturday.  I don't run as well on the long run if I've lifted heavy the day before.  

I've found yoga to be a lot more compatible with running.  Power yoga does a lot for core strength and improves flexibility, without leaving me with significant muscle fatigue the next day.

catwhoorg

Labrat

A cubic meter of nuetron star material is probably too much..

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I lift heavy twice a week and try to run 4 days a week.

Right now I am doing a lot of deadlifts I also am working around a shoulder injury.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Feeling the growl again

Does this sound at least decent?

For what?

For a lifter?  Girly man.

For a runner?  Pretty solid, but not really necessary if you care primarily about running.  Doesn't necessarily hurt anything either though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

A cubic meter millimeter of neutron star material is probably too much..

FIFY

Marylander

So, you've picked the 2 most popular exercises in the gym for guys... Wink

I don't really see the point of curls.Compound exercises (exercises involving more than one joint - e.g, shoulder and elbow) have a lot more value, imo.

Bench press is ok although you really should balance it out with some kind of rows (free weight or cable machine) or pullups/chinups. Bench press alone can lead to significant shoulder problems (e.g., rotator cuff injury).

Too heavy?  Well, for running I don't care about my one-rep max.  In fact, I don't know what they are.

I like three sets of ten for all my lifts.  I like to end a set knowing I could do one or two more, because going to failure makes me too sore for a lot of my runs.  A typical lifting routine for me looks like this.  If I was doing it just for running,  I would probably not do as much upper body, but I swim and climb, too.  For me, the leg work keeps me from getting DOMS on very long runs.  I also get shoulder pain/numbness on long runs if I neglect strength.

I run seven days a week.  If I'm going to do a tempo or progressive or whatever, I do it on a day I'm already lifting to keep my easy days easy for recovery.  However, I'm not doing much speed right now because I'm in ultra training.

Doing a long run the day after (or the same day as) fatiguing your body by doing weights is great training *for me.*  You really need to experiment with it and be careful if you're pushing to avoid injury at first (so I'm told--when I lift weights I actually get less sore, not more, from running).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A cubic meter millimeter of neutron star material is probably too much..

FIFY

But it's really hard to get a grip on it.

I second the Starting Strength book & StrongLifts website. Both are great!

I am 40, 5'4" & 133 lbs.

With 2 40lb dumbbells I can 5x5 (need new dumbbells to try anything heavier)

Pendlay Row

Shoulder press

Chest press

Lunge

Squat

With 2 15lb dumbbells I can 5x5 (these are embarrassingly hard for me)

Front raise

Lateral raise

Straight arm pullover

And without weights

3x18 pushups

2 unassisted pull-ups

I lift much heavier with my Weider home gym, but I don't understand the weight plate to pulley ratio.  I just keep moving the pin to lift more plates. That said, I find that it's detrimental to my running to lift to the point of strain. I don't usually have trouble with DOMS, it's lack of energy for the miles. I'd like to be stronger, but not if it means I can't run.  By the way, Yoga really is excellent for strength & flexibility. Beyond stretching & core strength there are many hip opening balance & breathing poses that meet a runner's needs perfectly.

What do you hope to accomplish by lifting? Know what your goal is and you'll know how much to lift.

What do you hope to accomplish by lifting? Know what your goal is and you'll know how much to lift.

Bingo!    comes down to what your goal is.    if primary goal is becoming a better (faster or longer) runner than you need to be more careful in increasing the weight & keeping it little lighter with more reps.  general rule for lifting is for increased strength or size you do heavier weight, less reps, but longer recovery between reps.   for overall fitness & balance with running.  lighter weights, more reps, & less recovery between reps.   I think that strength training is excellent for whatever you do or whatever your goals are.   I also believe that strength training can improve your running over time as long as you are doing it in a way that it does not hinder your running.  If just beginning to lift you need to be very careful not to build up too fast because it could affect your running in a negative way by zapping your energy for running or being sore.   But if you go slow in building & do it the right way then at some point your body will adjust to the new stress (few weeks, couple months?)   You will become stronger, more fit.   If you have any races you might find it difficult to improve your race times or even race at same level.  But over time if you find the right balance you will look & feel much better & will be a better runner as well.

Runnerdave:  we are at around the same level.  few years back I was a much heavier lifter when I was concentrating on lifting over running.  Now days my priority is running.   I am lighter & smaller (muscle wise) but with much better muscle definition.  Usually stay away from the bigger lifts that tax my legs.  Starting in November (last scheduled race is at end of October) I will begin to start incorporating more of the bigger full body type excercises & legs.    In the long run it will improve my running as well.  Always looking for that right balance.

Bingo!    comes down to what your goal is.   

As a guy who is a ripe 19 years young and still developing physically, my goal isn't to be the fastest, winning races etc. etc. It's more that I just find myself getting squirelly unless I'm having some sort of physical routine, it's just a part of being healthy. I stopped running entirely for about a year, and regret it -- though I did gain upper body muscle. I was sorta tempted to bulk up a bit and weight-lift exclusively (as a young man, I am not immune to insecurity that lack of muscle mass causes), but I really wanna keep cardio in there, even if it's just doing long tempo bike rides.

If I'm looking to stay lean I have two options, either lift heavier (build more muscle) or lose a bit of weight lifting the lighter weights.Core I work pretty much just doing sit-ups and crunches, planks, etc. The sit-ups and such I do with a 25 lb medicine ball which gives it an extra edge. So I've got a pretty strong abdominal train.

I haven't even really run in awhile, but I've found in the past I can re-habilitate myself fairly quickly, must be a perk of being young.

TripleBock

Purpose for lifting will dictate the type of weights you do and the number of reps and number of sets.

When I used to lift and run - I was a 350 max bench ... but my purpose of lifting was not to help my running ... if it was I would never be "Maxing"

How many days a week do you want to lift ?  When I had the time I enjoyed 6 times a week - I would break the body into 2 logical groups and do each one 3 times a week.

Too heavy to lift?  When you fail and it sits on your chest waiting for someone to help lift it off.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

As far as purpose - I do want to get into martial arts. I sort of want to become strong enough where I feel a bit more capable in self defense. If that means that I'm not as good as a runner for awhile then so be it. Cardio exercise however is great for heart health and improving speed and agility, which is why I still do it.

When you can't pick it up?